• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Satan/Jinn

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
Jinn are creatures living in earth...Roughly speaking they are like spirits..
Some of them are good and some of them are Bad...

There is a Quranic Surah by their name, which talks about them
Surat Al-Jinn - The Noble Qur'an - ?????? ??????

Devils are called Satans...
The [greatest] of them is called Iblis...
He is mentioned in the Quran in many verses; among them is the following:

And (remember) when We said unto the angels: Fall prostrate before Adam, and they fell prostrate, all save Iblis. He was of the jinn, so he rebelled against his Lord's command. Will ye choose him and his seed for your protecting friends instead of Me, when they are an enemy unto you? Calamitous is the exchange for evil-doers.

واذ قلنا للملائكة اسجدوا لادم فسجدوا الا ابليس كان من الجن ففسق عن امر ربه افتتخذونه وذريته اولياء من دوني وهم لكم عدو بئس للظالمين بدلا
سورة الكهف - سورة 18 - آية 50

ِAnd the following verse talks about the origin of the creation of Iblis:

He said: What hindered thee that thou didst not fall prostrate when I bade thee? (Iblis) said: I am better than him. Thou createdst me of fire while him Thou didst create of mud.

قال ما منعك الا تسجد اذ امرتك قال انا خير منه خلقتني من نار وخلقته من طين
(2) سورة الأعراف - سورة 7 - آية 12

Rational_Mind

Ahmadi Muslim
what is the difference between the two?

Shaytan literally means something that is not good. When the character of a person begins to exemplify evil it has been used to identify such a person as Shaytan. Similar to how in English usage you may call someone the devil but it doesn't literally mean he or she is the devil. In Islamic terminology Shaytan has been used for people and as well as things that are not good. For example, the Holy Prophet (saw) instructed to cover food because if left open Shaytan will enter. Something that in modern day we take as common knowledge.

Jinn is anything that is covered or not visible. As such by nature Angels are Jinn. One can also extend this to snakes are jinn, bacteria is jinn, etc... Jinn doesn't refer to one specific creation although most Muslims have understood it as such today. The Holy Prophet (saw) has called snakes, bacteria, and several other things as Jinn, as they literally are. The Quran makes specific mention of Jinn in different senses, often also referring to creations that we is hidden from us, also to refer to the Elite Rich Class of Humans who hide from the World and hold significant power.

[youtube]Gz8c89yeXbQ[/youtube]