• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Santeria/Yoruba without animal sacrifice?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Having this conflict. I am a life long environmentalist and animal rights activist and now RASTA/ Yoruba. I want to be ALL African. My network my find it disgusting. Tough in a apt. Any other method other than photo or other offerings? I can ask ask my E S U if O K. My Godmother left me. I am on my own and I need help.

I know it sounds simple, but offerings that your near loved ones and ancestors would have liked is good. Lighting a candle for your ancestors lets them know you're still there and thinking of them. It's not just a symbolic ritual. They actually know when you haven't thought about them if you haven't given them something, said or done something on their behalf, or lit a candle to say they are present where you stand.

Many non initiates of African traditions still get readings from, in the Yoruba, from a Santero or Babalow. He gives advice from the Orishas. The advice won't be from a specific Orisha unless one has your head, but it's general advice you can do if you're following any tradition that gives reverence to ancestors, spirits, and souls of that nature.

If you are from an African heritage (or African American), looking at your history, although grand and stories even until today will get you in touch with your ancestors by land and history. There are many ways to help disturbed spirits.

I don't think there is an "all African" religion. There are different practices within that one country. If you know more about your family and background, that will help. If you're coming from another culture into an African faith, the best I can think of is literally talk with someone of that faith and from that country. I like the analogy "trying to make spaghetti without the tomato". In most pagan (pre-abrahamic) traditions, culture is severely important and engraved in spirituality.

In Brazil, Candomble often have sacrifices and Umbanda never has. So, it's totally possible to follow this religion and being protective to animals, Umbanda is huge with millions adepts.
I don't see Umbanda as more Christian than Candomble, I would rather think that in Africa there are - and always were - many traditions that also protect animals.