• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Samson

sageowl

I grew up with my parents and Sunday school teachers telling me all the classic OT bible stories. I could ask this about any number of these tales, but Samson is on my mind today.

Samson. Superstrong man. These days, this story sounds like just another Tall Tale, a folk story, along the lines of Paul Bunyan, Hercules, Clark Kent, etc. But everyone I grew up around took it absolutely seriously, gospel truth.

Impromptu poll. Christians: is the Samson story simply true, at face value, as read in NIV or KJV, or is it mythology?

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
I do have a superstition that long hair is the secret of my strength, I have a mental illness and mental breakdowns always seem to be associated with cutting my long hair very short(caused by, or the cause of ?). I also believe short hair is like antennas pointed at the stars, and long hair the antennas are pointed at the earth, which is grounding, and I associate long hair with American Indians, which is a good thing for me, sounds crazy, but I like my long hair.

Last edited:

sageowl

ha ha Lyndon, thanks for the response. It took me a minute to realize you were being sincere. I spent a confused minute thinking you were an atheist trying to troll and failing badly!

Lyndon

Premium Member
No, my long hair has meaning to me, I wasn't joking, and the story of Sampson was an inspiration.

sageowl

Neat. Let me ask you this though. Do you regard the Samson story as truth or a myth? (I find all kinds of inspiration in fiction. But I dont regard my comics as actual history, they way so many of the adults in my chilhood religious upbringing regarded Samson, and a host of other unlikely stories)

Thanks for responding!

Lyndon

Premium Member
I think its a story at least based on fact, there are other stories in the bible that may be harder for some people to believe, but I do accept the idea that this man lived and had greater strength from growing his hair long, even if the effect was only a psychological effect on Sampson. All I can say is long hair works for me, I wouldn't exactly call it the whole secret of my strength, but it helps!! I would say equally the other "secrets of my strength" would be complete sobriety, and taking the medication as prescribed for my illnesses.

I should point out I don't see long hair effecting my physical strength, but rather my mental health, or stability.

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
My guess is it is not a historical event but all of it's parts are real. I'd call it a parable. It is true, but it didn't happen as told in the story.

I really do not think it matters to know what really happened that prompted the telling of the tale.