• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Salutations Orthodox Christians.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
To day is Easter Sunday and so for the Orthodox Christians of Palestine/Israel, Greece, Egypt, Russia, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Syria, Turkey, Armenia, Georgia, Lebanon, Ukraine, Belarus, Slovenia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Hungary, Estonia, Finland, Latvia, and other nations,...salutations.

Incidentally, does anyone know how the Eastern Orthodox Christian tradition determines the timing for the Easter Celebration?
While I am about it, does anyone know how the Judaism determines the timing for Passover Celebration?
As for the Western Christian tradition, it is my present understanding that the timing for Easter is determined by,...Good Friday falls on the first full moon after the passover of the Sun from the southern hemisphere to the northern hemisphere,...an equinox.

Lucian

Theologian
If you don't mind me saying this, but the Finnish Orthodox celebrated Easter about a month earlier, same time as the Lutherans.

As for the Passover, it always begins on 15th of Nisan, the first month of the Hebrew calendar. This year it was on 20th of April (Gregorian Calendar) and 7th of April (Julian Calendar). So the Orthodox celebrated Easter Sunday a week after the Passover. I don't know exactly how it works.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Thank you Lucian.
I found this on Wiki,..

After several centuries of disagreement, all churches accepted the computation of the Alexandrian Church (now the Coptic Church) that Easter is the first Sunday after the first fourteenth day of the moon (the Paschal Full Moon) that is on or after the ecclesiastical vernal equinox.

This compares, so far as I understand, with the western Christian churches where Good Friday is set by the first Friday after the first full moon that falls on or after the vernal equinox.

So far as Passover was concerned, I thought it was celebrated on the Sabbath,..and if so, there must be another adjustment involved to the15th of Nisan date to make that happen.

Lucian

Theologian
So far as Passover was concerned, I thought it was celebrated on the Sabbath,..and if so, there must be another adjustment involved to the15th of Nisan date to make that happen.

Actually that's kind of interesting, the Passover is celebrated even on the sabbath, since Passover lasts for a whole week after 15th of Nisan!