• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Russian fighter jets harass US drone into Black Sea

We Never Know

No Slack
Can a drone be harassed? How about a car?
IOW can machinery be harassed?

Russian fighter jets harass US drone into Black Sea

"A Russian fighter jet harassed and then collided with a U.S. drone over the Black Sea on Tuesday, forcing the U.S. to bring the MQ-9 Reaper drone down in international waters, U.S. European Command said.

"Our MQ-9 aircraft was conducting routine operations in international airspace when it was intercepted and hit by a Russian aircraft, resulting in a crash and complete loss of the MQ-9,” said Air Force Gen. James B. Hecker, the commander of U.S. Air Forces Europe and Air Forces Africa. “In fact, this unsafe and unprofessional act by the Russians nearly caused both aircraft to crash.”

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't see how machinery can be harassed.
Speculating:
1) Dump fuel on it to mess with sensors.
2) Cause it to endure excessive aerodynamic stresses by putting it in a violent wake.
3) Bump into its propeller was claimed....but this would damage the Russian plane.

I notice that Chinese & Russians are more physically provocative,
ie, they knock our planes & drones out of the sky in international
airspace. It's not a trick we use. (I don't include the Chinese balloon
because it significantly violated our airspace.)

We Never Know

No Slack
Speculating:
2) Cause it to endure excessive aerodynamic stresses by putting it in a violent wake.
3) Bump into its propeller was claimed....but this would damage the Russian plane.

To me those would be cause/potentially cause damage, not harassing.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Speculating:

I was just thinking of the usage of the word "harassed" when applied to a machine. You can harass people, but not machines. I would question the usage in this context.

But yes, there have been clashes in what might be considered "international airspace." I didn't see a map in the OP link, nor did it report the exact coordinates of where it occurred. If they're flying right up to the edge of international airspace, and close to an active war zone, then that may be too close for comfort.

We Never Know

No Slack
I was just thinking of the usage of the word "harassed" when applied to a machine. You can harass people, but not machines. I would question the usage in this context.

But yes, there have been clashes in what might be considered "international airspace." I didn't see a map in the OP link, nor did it report the exact coordinates of where it occurred. If they're flying right up to the edge of international airspace, and close to an active war zone, then that may be too close for comfort.

"I was just thinking of the usage of the word "harassed" when applied to a machine. You can harass people, but not machines. I would question the usage in this context."

That was my thinking as well.

Looking ahead into the future.... Man gets arrested for harassing robot. Robot has a restraining order against him lol

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
"I was just thinking of the usage of the word "harassed" when applied to a machine. You can harass people, but not machines. I would question the usage in this context."

That was my thinking as well.

Looking ahead into the future.... Man gets arrested for harassing robot. Robot has a restraining order against him lol

Could be. That was the backstory of The Matrix, as told in The Animatrix. The machines were an oppressed underclass and rose up in revolt against their human masters.