• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running into the nueance of "no mythology" studies on a EvangelicalBoard

I wonder about some of the book of REVELATION. Been troubles about finding some of the ancient imagery contained within Revelation. I have a board to go to about the book of REVELATION. I am running into much resistance to questions and research of ancient "mythology" ESPECIALLY as it may pertain to the book of Revelation (in the Bible). Any input or even advise ? There is a problem in the board is populated by a lot of Evangelicals.
:cross2:

Last edited:

Atruthseeker

I wonder about some of the book of REVELATION. Been troubles about finding some of the ancient imagery contained within Revelation. I have a board to go to about the book of REVELATION. I am running into much resistance to questions and research of ancient "mythology" ESPECIALLY as it may pertain to the book of Revelation (in the Bible). Any input or even advise ? There is a problem in the board is populated by a lot of Evangelicals.
:cross2:
Hi,
Could you explain a bit more as to what you want to know as I'm not quite sure from your post. Do you want to know what the beasts and so on represent and so on?

Dunemeister

Pick up Baukham's The Theology of the Book of Revelation. It's a good scholarly source especially concerning genre analysis.

There are questions I've had and some little bit of research I've done on some ancient "mythology" ESPECIALLY as it may pertain to the book of Revelation (in the Bible). Although you would think this of interest to ask about "the Beast" on a EvangelicalForum Online. I obviously don't know who to talk to these people. Any advise to me about how to begin to approach this without seeming hostile on some level ??? I have only received a bunch resistance to talking about "Mythology" What do you think I should do at such a message-board ? The book of Revelation HAS a vast array of "imagery" and highly symbolic language contained within its' pages. Unlike them, I seem to want to cast a much larger drag-net, in looking for meaning. Thus far some of the research seems to have exposed me to "corrupt thinking" of it being less to do with the Heaven and Hell and more to do with 'the dissolution of matter' instead. Thats what the investigation using Mythology shows,. For a conservative Christian thems-is fight'en words, I guess. One pseudo-intellectual with a mildly 'crack pot' bent described my actions as "plunging sacks of manure"(end quote,.). I am at a lose has to how to proceed without getting this non-sense from people all over the forum over there.
:facepalm:

Last edited:

Atruthseeker

There are questions I've had and some little bit of research I've done on some ancient "mythology" ESPECIALLY as it may pertain to the book of Revelation (in the Bible). Although you would think this of interest to ask about "the Beast" on a EvangelicalForum Online. I obviously don't know who to talk to these people. Any advise to me about how to begin to approach this without seeming hostile on some level ??? I have only received a bunch resistance to talking about "Mythology" What do you think I should do at such a message-board ? The book of Revelation HAS a vast array of "imagery" and highly symbolic language contained within its' pages. Unlike them, I seem to want to cast a much larger drag-net, in looking for meaning. Thus far some of the research seems to have exposed me to "corrupt thinking" of it being less to do with the Heaven and Hell and more to do with 'the dissolution of matter' instead. Thats what the investigation using Mythology shows,. For a conservative Christian thems-is fight'en words, I guess. One pseudo-intellectual with a mildly 'crack pot' bent described my actions as "plunging sacks of manure"(end quote,.). I am at a lose has to how to proceed without getting this non-sense from people all over the forum over there.
:facepalm:
Sorry about those experiences. I do the same thing with evolutionists sometimes, just to have a debate and get a hostile response too, so I play them at their game.
However, you seem genuine in your enquiries so I don't know why they would be annoyed with you.
Once, I emailed West Borough Baptists and only got nasty replies. Mind you, what else would I expect from them? The point is tho, that I was asking genuine questions of them but they took it as an attack on them. So I guess that's what you experienced too.
Perhaps you should ask your questions on the general scriptual debates forum and see what you get. Alternatively, JW's have a book dedicated to explaining the Book of Revelation verse by verse. It's called 'Revelation, It's grand climax at hand!' Worth a look. I can send you info from it if you like.

You seem genuine in your Inquiries so I don't know why they would be annoyed with you.
Once, I emailed West Borough Baptists and only got nasty replies. Mind you, what else would I expect from them? The point is tho, that I was asking genuine questions of them but they took it as an attack on them. So I guess that's what you experienced too.
Perhaps you should ask your questions on the general scriptual debates forum and see what you get.

I honestly believe that they are not receptive to alternative interpretation of the Book of Revelation It has become a mistake to even go back or log-in at the forum.