• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rta, Tao and Teotl

Sikh

Rta, Tao and Teotl.
The names sound the same and have the same meanings.

Coincidence?

The European Histories say that because Columbus was trying to find India he called the Native Americans, Indians.

What if their religion and general beliefs were the same and this was the real reason? After all, the Catholic Church had extensive books on the religions of India from the Portuguese and generally these people referred to themselves when meeting foreigners as Catholics/Christians/Jesuits. Hindu was coined in the Eighteen century, before then what were Hindus called if not Indians?

They destroyed the native writing systems, and any books and scrolls available to the natives and it is generally their words that say that human sacrifice was taking place involuntarily. After all, before Jain came along, in Vedic times we too sacrificed horses to the Devas, perhaps it was an extreme form, like the yogis of the past putting themselves on fire.

In the same line of thought could Vedas be understood better by reading Taoist texts and vice-verca?

Last edited:

Andal

resident hypnotist
Rta, Tao and Teotl.
The names sound the same and have the same meanings.

Coincidence?

The European Histories say that because Columbus was trying to find India he called the Native Americans, Indians.

What if their religion and general beliefs were the same and this was the real reason? After all, the Catholic Church had extensive books on the religions of India from the Portuguese and generally these people referred to themselves when meeting foreigners as Catholics/Christians/Jesuits. Hindu was coined in the Eighteen century, before then what were Hindus called if not Indians?

They destroyed the native writing systems, and any books and scrolls available to the natives and it is generally their words that say that human sacrifice was taking place involuntarily. After all, before Jain came along, in Vedic times we too sacrificed horses to the Devas, perhaps it was an extreme form, like the yogis of the past putting themselves on fire.

In the same line of thought could Vedas be understood better by reading Taoist texts and vice-verca?

Namaste,

The problem is this doesn't quite work. The indigenous peoples that Columbus encountered were on the islands in the Caribbean. We know what their beliefs were through the archaeological record as well as the descendants still living today. Human sacrifice was prevalent and most notably recorded by the conquistadors who entered Mexico (although the Teino who Columbus encountered may have practiced as well) Human sacrifice was not something though that was a core belief found in all of these groups. In fact it was often imported. For example, the practice of human sacrifice within Maya tradition was not an original practice as is proved by sites such as Ek Balam and some of the older Maya cities. It was instead imported in by the Tultecs, a sub group of the Aztecs. So human sacrifice as a way of point back to Vedic roots is shaky at best.

In terms of religion more generally speaking, we have a pretty clear grasp of most religious traditions coming out of those groups. This is partly due to artifacts and also partly due to the fact that there are groups who still hold to these beliefs to one extent or another. The religions of these groups share similarities with Vedic religion but they also share similarities with Christianity, Chinese religion, South Pacific religions, and so on. There are certain themes and threads that repeat time and time again in all religions. I would not say though that all people are practicing the same religion.

As for your second question, that depends on you. If you find something applicable in the Taoist texts then use them. Its not a good practice for everyone though.

Aum Hari Aum!

Sikh

Namaste,

The problem is this doesn't quite work. The indigenous peoples that Columbus encountered were on the islands in the Caribbean. We know what their beliefs were through the archaeological record as well as the descendants still living today. Human sacrifice was prevalent and most notably recorded by the conquistadors who entered Mexico (although the Teino who Columbus encountered may have practiced as well) Human sacrifice was not something though that was a core belief found in all of these groups. In fact it was often imported. For example, the practice of human sacrifice within Maya tradition was not an original practice as is proved by sites such as Ek Balam and some of the older Maya cities. It was instead imported in by the Tultecs, a sub group of the Aztecs. So human sacrifice as a way of point back to Vedic roots is shaky at best.

In terms of religion more generally speaking, we have a pretty clear grasp of most religious traditions coming out of those groups. This is partly due to artifacts and also partly due to the fact that there are groups who still hold to these beliefs to one extent or another. The religions of these groups share similarities with Vedic religion but they also share similarities with Christianity, Chinese religion, South Pacific religions, and so on. There are certain themes and threads that repeat time and time again in all religions. I would not say though that all people are practicing the same religion.

As for your second question, that depends on you. If you find something applicable in the Taoist texts then use them. Its not a good practice for everyone though.

Aum Hari Aum!

Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't saying that Human sacrifice was the reason for connection with Vedic times, I was trying to say that it might have been an extreme form of horse sacrifice.

There might have been many different religions in America, I was pointing out the Maya specifically. Teotl is word for word, Rta. Or at least I can't find any differences.

So your basically saying as a practicing Hindu, you see no benefit in the Idea of reading Taoist texts to better understand the Vedas? That's fine.

I would really like to get as many opinions from practicing Hindus as possible on this, so please have your say.

:drool:

Satsangi

Reading books does not help one understand Vedas as they are. It only comes through enlightenment from and enlightened Guru.

Regards,

Sikh

Reading books does not help one understand Vedas as they are. It only comes through enlightenment from and enlightened Guru.

Regards,

Yes but I was coining the possibility that like multiple people writing about a proof/theorem in mathematics, sometimes to see without eyes it is beneficial to see what others have contemplated.

Do you disagree that the Taoist texts are from enlightened Gurus in China?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm a practicing Hindu, and I never go to other books for knowledge. Why should I, when all I need is found right within my own religion. Hinduism has all the answers (for me). Taoism might make sense too, but I have better things to do than explore that.

Here's a crude analogy: I have one wife. She provides everything I need in terms of a relationship to fulfill Purusha dharma. Should I go around just for the sake of exploration or interest and check out a few other women?

In addition to the above, I never even go outside my sampradaya ... same reasons as above.