• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roman Catholic: Mass

Evelyn

Yes.

1. Dress code. Anything close to a Birthday suit...not allowed!
2. I liked the idea of the priest looking in the same direction as the laity. Atleast during the Eucharist. Let him walk with us to receive our Lord.
3. In some parishes the music is sort of becoming more of an entertainment. I'm not big on that at all.
4. Bring back the tall pillars, statues, and scary gargoyles. Makes me feel like I'm walking into a house of a giant and it get's all my senses on alert.
5. Please don't only make the Mass about motivational speaking and let's make the major focus the Eucharist.
6. The Church should focus more time and energy on our Cathecism programs.
7. I know Victor would seriously ponder being a priest if the opportunity arose. But since he's married to yours truly, it's not going to happen anytime soon. Even if it did, I'm on the fence on it. Leaning more toward it's not a good idea simply cause we have little ones.

I'm sure I can think of more.

Scott1

I like your list!

I hear #2 a lot when I ask this question.... I don't agree, but I'm in the minority of this.

#7 applies to me as well... I would offer myself to the Church in an instant if it was allowed.... and I'm sure that would solve the priest shortage. Time will tell.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
As an outsider, I find that #7 (along with the existence of the Papacy) is one of the main reasons I simply can't enjoy the Catholic mass. Other than that, I find it lovely.

Scott1

As an outsider, I find that #7 (along with the existence of the Papacy) is one of the main reasons I simply can't enjoy the Catholic mass. Other than that, I find it lovely.
Would you mind telling me why Pete? I know this is a RCC thread, but I think it would add to the discussion to get your view on #7 (not the Papacy for the moment if you can avoid it please).

Is it my personal absence from the priesthood that bothers you the most? ;) Is it clericalism... celibacy... please elaborate.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
At your behest... :D

I find that ALL Christians are called to be priests. I'm a priest and so are you! Your priests seem to me more like evangelists and counselors than those that get you to God... especially the current ones that I know.

But celibacy is written against in scripture. I just don't see it as natural, and wonder if it has led to certain issues within your church.

But, you know me Scott: I kinda abhor earthly authoritarianism. I love to be led by the Spirit and so far that has served me well.

Scott1

I find that ALL Christians are called to be priests. I'm a priest and so are you! Your priests seem to me more like evangelists and counselors than those that get you to God... especially the current ones that I know.
I agree... and the Church does teach this. I recently completed a program that gave me a certificate from the diocese that proclaims me to be an "official" lay minister of the Diocese of Springfield. It was a good, evengelical, spirit-filled class... tought me a lot about my role as a priest in the Kingdom of God.

We (the RCC) can and should do a lot more to encourage this... but each has a specific gift of the spirit... and the ordained priesthood has its place (IMO) as well.
But celibacy is written against in scripture. I just don't see it as natural, and wonder if it has led to certain issues within your church.
I know I couldn't do it...... but those who flourish in their calling - totally devoted to Christ and the faith are worthy of our respect and admiration.
But, you know me Scott: I kinda abhor earthly authoritarianism. I love to be led by the Spirit and so far that has served me well.
Amen brother..... but not everyone is like you.... and I'm glad that there are priests out there to spread the gospel to the poor, the sick, and the hungry.... when it is "done right" I do believe it is the work of the Holy Spirit.

Thanks for your honest and respectful contribution.... you heretic. :D

Hehe.... love ya Pete.