• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ridvan Holy Days start April 20th...

arthra

Baha'i
The next Holy Days are part of the Ridvan season of twelve days which represent the time Baha'u'llah was leaving Baghdad on the order of the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire to travel to Constantinople (Istanbul) and Adrianople (Edirne). Initially Baha'u'llah was ordered into exile in Baghdad and it was feared He would be an influence there with Shiah pilgrimages nearby so the representatives of the Shah prevailed on the Ottoman authorities to move His exile to more distant parts of the Empire.

The first, ninth and twelfth days are Holy Days on which work/business is suspended.

"The twelve day period commemorating Bahá'u'lláh's announcement of his claim to prophethood and his departure from Baghdad in 1863, observed from sunset 20 April to sunset, 2 May. The first, ninth and twelfth days of Ridvan are major Bahá'í holy days on which work should be suspended.* Bahá'í elections are normally held during Ridvan. The name derives from the Najibiyyih Garden in Baghdad where Bahá'u'lláh stayed during this period and to which he gave the name Ridvan (Paradise)."

Read more at

Ridvan

Also read:

Ridvan – The Greatest Baha’i Festival

Declaration of Baha'u'llah in the Ridvan Garden in 1863

The importance of Ridvan period cannot be over estimated in my opinion because they also represent the election of Local Spiritual Assemblies and delegates meet annually in convention to elect the National Spiritual Assembly. There are no nominations from the floor and the voting is by secret ballot.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Allah'u'abha and Happy Ridvan to all.

The first day of Ridvan this year falling on Easter Sunday, a very special day indeed.

Regards Tony