• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rev. Martin Lavanhar's sermon about Mormonism

applewuud

All Souls UU Church in Tulsa, Oklahoma has a good, active YouTube channel. Last Sunday's sermon by their minister was about Mormonism, and I think it's a good description of the similarities and differences between our religions, and an overview of basic Mormon history. Worth a look:

[youtube]x23nYF9J2N4[/youtube]
Mormonism? - Rev. Marlin Lavanhar - YouTube

Interesting points: both Unitarian-Universalism and Mormonism were on the "cult list" at Billy Graham's organization until recently, when we were both taken off.

He should have noted that Joseph Smith's mother was a Universalist, and there are some strains of that in his writing.

In the end, this is an appeal for mutual understanding and acceptance, while pointing out that we have some distinct differences on the status of women and LGBT people.

Swiper

All Souls UU Church in Tulsa, Oklahoma has a good, active YouTube channel. Last Sunday's sermon by their minister was about Mormonism, and I think it's a good description of the similarities and differences between our religions, and an overview of basic Mormon history.

It was a very good sermon and it was well-received by many Mormons and former Mormons who watched it. I did repost it on a support group for liberal Mormons (and former Mormons.)

Interesting points: both Unitarian-Universalism and Mormonism were on the "cult list" at Billy Graham's organization until recently, when we were both taken off.

Don't worry, I'm sure the whole cult page will be back up on his page after the election (unless Romney wins).

He should have noted that Joseph Smith's mother was a Universalist, and there are some strains of that in his writing.

It was his dad that was a Universalist, while his mother was a Presbyterian. There is a lot of influences of Universalism in the Mormon religious texts. It is theorized that Joseph Smith tried to mend the gap between his parents religious beliefs by creating a new religious faith that was attractive to followers of both beliefs.