• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Returning Israel to its borders pre-1967

Fluffy

A fool
Due to recent developments, I am trying to take a greater amount of time researching the Arab-Israeli conflict. I have found a huge list of requests of peace treaties after 1967 on the condition that Israel return its borders to how they existed pre-1967 however, as far as I can tell, every single one of these peace treaties was rejected by Israel and this action was taken against the approval of the UN so far as I can tell.

I do not believe Israel to be a war mongering or greedy nation and I believe that Israel has always wanted to exist in peace with its neighbours. However, I wish to know some possible explanations for why Israel felt that returning its borders to how they existed pre-1967 was an unacceptable condition for peace.

One final note, I have only tentatively put this in a debate forum. I wish to look at this simply from a historical perspective and not in reference to current events. If things get too heated then I shall close the thread so I would be grateful if people could find somewhere else to vent their feelings about the conflict itself.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
Fluffy said:
Due to recent developments, I am trying to take a greater amount of time researching the Arab-Israeli conflict. I have found a huge list of requests of peace treaties after 1967 on the condition that Israel return its borders to how they existed pre-1967 however, as far as I can tell, every single one of these peace treaties was rejected by Israel and this action was taken against the approval of the UN so far as I can tell.

I do not believe Israel to be a war mongering or greedy nation and I believe that Israel has always wanted to exist in peace with its neighbours. However, I wish to know some possible explanations for why Israel felt that returning its borders to how they existed pre-1967 was an unacceptable condition for peace.

One final note, I have only tentatively put this in a debate forum. I wish to look at this simply from a historical perspective and not in reference to current events. If things get too heated then I shall close the thread so I would be grateful if people could find somewhere else to vent their feelings about the conflict itself.
Why should Israel give back land that was gained by throughing back an unprovoked attack? It would be one thing if Israel attacked anf conquered lands, it is entirely another when they are attacked and keep what was gained.

Fluffy

A fool
Why should Israel give back land that was gained by throughing back an unprovoked attack? It would be one thing if Israel attacked anf conquered lands, it is entirely another when they are attacked and keep what was gained.

Hmmm does this mean that Israel would have had a right to keep the war going and conquer and hold every country that attacked it in 1967 leading to an Israeli empire?

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
Fluffy said:
Hmmm does this mean that Israel would have had a right to keep the war going and conquer and hold every country that attacked it in 1967 leading to an Israeli empire?
Good point. Israel has done a good job of showing restraint. Thank you for pointing that out.

I think that the better question is, what right do these countries have to these lands, when they were lost them due to a war that was their own creation?

Fluffy

A fool
Good point. Israel has done a good job of showing restraint. Thank you for pointing that out.

I think that the better question is, what right do these countries have to these lands, when they were lost them due to a war that was their own creation?
I might agree with you if you could demonstrate how the people living in these lands were responsible for the 6 day war.

Also these lands were not part of the countries which attacked Israel. They were simply being occupied by these other countries. Why should these strips of land and the people living on them be held accountable for the actions of Egypt, Jordan etc?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Fluffy said:
See
7222470.jpg

From Time Immemorial.​

Wars end. Populations adjust - including the Jewish refugees from the Arab world.

But only the most seriously map challenged would focus on a demand that Israel - a fragile sliver surrounded by massively hostile (or erstwhile hostile) countries - return land ... Israel may fail, but it will go down fighting with everything - everything - it has rather than submit to some Islamic-inspired final solution.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Fluffy said:
However, I wish to know some possible explanations for why Israel felt that returning its borders to how they existed pre-1967 was an unacceptable condition for peace.

The reasons I'm aware of are all strictly military and geographic in nature. For example, the Golan Heights was a big issue because it's the high ground, and from that high ground it was all too easy to lob rockets at Israeli citizens, so Israel was naturally not likely to return it without some guarantees that it would not (again) be used to lob rockets at their territory.

Also, at its narrowest point, Israel is (if memory serves) about 12 miles across. If you know anything about modern mechanized warfare, you know how fast an army can move across the mid-section of your country and cut off communications and supplies.

otoh, there have been very disturbing things that have happened in the occupied territories, that, afaik, have more to do with harassing Palestinians than an ability to defend Israel.

When the husband returns, I may be able to give you some resources for more info on the military issues, if you're interested. Military history and S&T are standard issues around here, but he's much more up on that part of the world and its recent history than I am.

I wish to look at this simply from a historical perspective and not in reference to current events. If things get too heated then I shall close the thread so I would be grateful if people could find somewhere else to vent their feelings about the conflict itself.

I hope we can all manage to pull this off. There are plenty of other places to vent, as you say.

Fluffy

A fool
Thanks Booko, I had heard the military argument before but I lacked any details so was unable to tell how viable that argument really was. I would be very interested if you have any more info if it isn't too much trouble.

For the sake of argument, considering that Israel appeared to have taken on many other countries and beat them all in 6 days, doesn't this indicate that Israel was already more than capable of defeating its enemies in a pitched battle and therefore securing more military advantages was unnecessary?

Thanks for the book suggestion, Jay, its going on my wish list although I shall check out my library tomorrow. My previous impression was the Israel was a relatively strong nation military and that it had not come close to destruction in 1967. This impression is, admittedly, based on nothing factual but just on things I have picked up over the years as one does I suppose. Hopefully, that book will give me a more accurate impression of the situation in Israel.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Booko said:
otoh, there have been very disturbing things that have happened in the occupied territories, that, afaik, have more to do with harassing Palestinians than an ability to defend Israel.
One wonders if you're more disturbed than those living in Sderot. I suspect not.

almifkhar

fluffy here is some reading for you
www.globalissues.org/Geopolitics/MiddleEast/Palestine/Background.asp
www.mideastweb.org/mebalfour.htm
www.aipac.org/
www.mediamonitors.net/mosaddeq11.html
www.hrw.org/1996/Israel1.htm
www.ipcri.org/watconf/phillips.pdf#search='distribution%20of%20water%20in%20palestine%2Fisrael'
www.christianzionism.org/linksN.asp#ChristianPro

basically why the zionist refuse to agree to the 67 border peace agreements is because they never intended on making peace in the first place. it's kinda like how we did and still do the native americans. they want it all pure and simple. palestianians groups have said for years that they refuse to accept the state of israel because they have been and still are treated like crap and their land is being taken from under their feet. saddly however hamas finally agreed to acknowledge the state of israel and was willing to agree to the two state option which now will never happen.

joeboonda

Just opinion only, but I feel that Israel becoming a nation again in 1948 was a prophecy fulfilled, as was retaking Jerusalem in 1967. And that God will not suffer them to be removed again. Just opinion thats all. I also am of the opinion that the Muslims, at least the more fundamentalist, believe it is their duty to Allah to retake their lands back, especially Jerusalem, completely, and to drive their enemies into the sea. Israel should hold on to all they have, with as much restraint as possible, and they should all live in peace, but I do not think that will ever happen. Mostly because of this duty to retake Holy lands, cities lost many Muslims believe in. They don't always come right out and say that, but some have, and it has been in some of their manifestos as far as I understand.

But, land for peace is no bargain, it is terrorism. They can give away land, get a short peace, then they gotta give more land, until they are vulnerable to being anihilated. I think that may be the plan...I don't believe it will work...I don't believe anyone will ever completely prevail against Israel again. But that comes from my interpretation/understanding of Bible prophecy and is just my opinion, nothing I would ever argue about.

almifkhar

is that right jay, than perhaps you can explain the $5 billion we send israel on war machine considering how isreal has all those nukes, missles, tanks, chemical weapons, etc. why oh why would they still need my tax dollars? perhaps you can explain how i just heard on my local tv news that the idot in the white house said we will fight for israel when we have given them $5 billion every year for war machine since the days of regan. one would think that they can take care of themselves. why do they still need my money and perhaps my fellow americans to help them out? and perhaps you can explain all the land grabbing going on since the zionist moved in all the way up to this modern time. i will read what you have sugested and i would expect you to do the same with what i have sugested, it's only right.

joeboonda

Ouch, its getting heated already...almifkhar, it is true that the USA has and does so far back Israel, alot of folks here believing that God blesses those who bless Israel and curses those who curse Israel, due to our belief in the Bible. I don't think we are trying to arm them to take over the whole middle-east or anything, just so they can live peacably and hold on to what they have. They have needed us to help them, and we are about the only country that has ever helped them with any real help. Would it be ok with you for them to exist as a country if everyone could live in peace? It would be nice for the Jews and Muslims (and everyone) to exist in peace wouldn't it?

almifkhar

i agree that peace should be strived for. my problem is that 200 nuclear bombs and a $5billion war budget yearly since regan does not say peacefull intentions to me. land grabbing and apartheid policies does not spell peacefull intentions. even archbiship desmond tutu agrees.

i am not heated up i promise, i am just making a point.

i use to believe israel was just in what they were doing until i started to research this. i have looked at it from both sides of the table and now my view has changed. there is much edvience to back up feelings. i really despise racism because it always leads to ethnic cleansing and genocide and i am not down with this one bit.

i honestly think that peace can conquer if the playing field was level, the land grabbing and apartheid policies would end and if other parties would just keep out of it, then i think peace would happen. folks lived there in peace for a long time until all these things started to happen.

jay, i did check out the book you referred and will order it when i get paid. i wish you would do the same with the articles i sumitted to fluffy and read them with an open mind as i plan to do with the book you referred to me. this is the right thing to do.

joeboonda

That's cool with me. I will pray for peace and for as many as is possible, any side, that they will get right with God.

Fluffy

A fool
is that right jay, than perhaps you can explain the $5 billion we send israel on war machine considering how isreal has all those nukes, missles, tanks, chemical weapons, etc. why oh why would they still need my tax dollars? perhaps you can explain how i just heard on my local tv news that the idot in the white house said we will fight for israel when we have given them $5 billion every year for war machine since the days of regan. one would think that they can take care of themselves. why do they still need my money and perhaps my fellow americans to help them out? and perhaps you can explain all the land grabbing going on since the zionist moved in all the way up to this modern time. i will read what you have sugested and i would expect you to do the same with what i have sugested, it's only right.

Hmmm I'm not too sure about this argument. If you live in America I am assuming you have the vote. I do not know exactly whether this 5 billion exists or not but even if it does, surely if the majority wants it to be sent then that is a good enough reason for it to be sent? The fact that you are unhappy about it is fine but it is up to you to gather support and stop it from happening by gaining majority approval. There doesn't seem to be anything inherently wrong with sending money to Israel irregardless of Israel's situation.

I'll check out those articles you linked to now.

Okay so according to globalissues.org, the Camp David Accords in 1978 returned Sinai back to Egypt and, as far as I can tell from Wikipedia, this signalled peace between Egypt and Israel from this point onwards.

As far as I can tell, this appears to be a successful attempt at returning land for peace. Why would Israel do this if they didn't want peace? Especially since this area of land contains the lucrative Suez Canal which was the reason for the earlier war in 1958?

Additionally, surely establishing peace is more important that saying that Israel has a right to the land it captured. The Jews clearly need their own homeland so giving up the whole of Israel is out of the question. However, I think there needs to be more of a substantial reason (and I'm sure there is) for why Israel did not return to the pre-196 borders than "they had a right to the land they captured".

Booko

Deviled Hen
Fluffy said:
Thanks Booko, I had heard the military argument before but I lacked any details so was unable to tell how viable that argument really was. I would be very interested if you have any more info if it isn't too much trouble.

For the sake of argument, considering that Israel appeared to have taken on many other countries and beat them all in 6 days, doesn't this indicate that Israel was already more than capable of defeating its enemies in a pitched battle and therefore securing more military advantages was unnecessary?
Battles are rarely that simple. Did Napoleon lose at Waterloo because he was a bad general or because of a lack of men or other resources? Or was it just that it had rained the day before and he couldn't move his artillery through the muck and it showed up too late?

See what I mean?

If Israel beat several other nations with more men and materiel in '48, it may not mean they are better soldiers or had better generals. It may mean the IDF had better command and control, or better command of the air, or better intelligence, and yeah, sometimes you just get damned lucky.

It seems though there were 6 other nations against them in '48, the Arabs were uncoordinated in their attacks and with the exception of east Jerusalem couldn't bring their power to bear to overcome the IDF.

You could also argue that the Israelis were highly motivated. I mean, where else did they have to go? They knew what they had just endured in Europe.

If the same 6 Arab nations invaded today, the situation would be completely different, and I would not expect the same result. I'm pretty well convinced that Israel's unacknowledged nukes have provided quite a deterrent to further invasions.

The thing that troubles me greatly is the historically disconnected idea that the Arab countries attacked Israel for the benefit of freeing the Palestinian people and giving them a homeland of their own. Funny, they never bothered about it when Palestine was a territory of the British Empire.

The truth is that Jordan took the West Bank because the King of Jordan at the time thought it a great opportunity for a land grab. Ditto Egypt and Gaza. Syria and Golan. These nations did not invade Israel because they wanted to do something nice for the Palestinians and defend their Arab brothers and just leave when they got Palestine back for the Palestinians -- they did it because they perceived a vacuum of power and did what nations, Arab or otherwise, often do in such a situation -- take advantage of the situation to expand their territory and/or influence.

My previous impression was the Israel was a relatively strong nation military and that it had not come close to destruction in 1967. This impression is, admittedly, based on nothing factual but just on things I have picked up over the years as one does I suppose. Hopefully, that book will give me a more accurate impression of the situation in Israel.
If the IDF had been unable to dominate the air during the 6-day war, they would likely have been destroyed. Through better intelligence, excellent planning, and just plain guile, the Israeli Air Force was able to catch the Egyptian Air Force with their pants decidedly down and take them out. Otherwise, the Egyptians had the advantage of numbers (100,000 I think?) and to some extent the advantage of position. Without air superiority, the Egyptians were unable to move in any way to surprise or surround or disrupt the lines of the IDF, while the IDF had a free hand to go where they will. Instead of meeing Arab forces head on, they were able to encircle them or in cases go around them, which put the IDF at great advantage.

The IDF has always known that, due to the nature of the borders of Israel, the best defense is a good offense. If ever an Arab nation were able to mass on their border proper, they would have a very tough time of it. The IDF is not stupid enough to wait for that to happen.

It also accounts for why they have done things like occupy southern Lebanon in the past. It was the military equivalent of keeping your enemy at arm's length to keep from getting creamed.

The U.S. is a very large country. It's hard for us to imagine that our country could be destroyed in hours if the Canadians or Mexicans massed on our border with belligerent intent. We would have time to beat them back.

But as I type this sitting here in Atlanta, I'm thinking that my city is wider than the state of Israel in some places. I find it easy to understand the military perspective of the IDF. It would not take long to roll across from the west side of Atlanta over to where Captain Xeroid and I live. We wouldn't have time to get civilians away, even if we had somewhere to go, which the Israelis do not.

Viewed from a purely military perspective, I have a hard time finding fault with the IDF's doctrine. Some of the political policies, well that's another thread.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Jayhawker Soule said:
One wonders if you're more disturbed than those living in Sderot. I suspect not.

No I doubt I'm as disturbed as they are, seeing as I live in Atlanta.

I do get a little concerned about rockets landing in Haifa, though, for reasons that should be obvious.