• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Returning Christian...complicated...which church?

Gehennaite

Community perhaps....I really don't know now considering I don't agree with anything it teaches
I was like this with Jehovah's Witnesses. I am so much more stable, competent, and stronger since leaving that organization. There were doctrines that simply contended my better judgments.

Yes, the community was the best I ever experienced. Yes, the friendships there were easily the most altruistic, loving expressions I've received. For once I finally *clicked* with people. Morality was tight and I could fit in with it (I feel out of place in morally relative, or even degenerate environments) and it really makes their society thrive...

...but my conscience could not accept an annihilationist perspective of God.

Sariel

Heretic
Having trouble finding a denomination too? All I can tell you is good luck to you too. I still attend Catholic mass, but I don't really have "set" denomination as of yet either since I tend to agree and disagree with various branches. I considered Messianic Judaism but I felt like my "home" was with the christian community. I wish you well.
I was like this with Jehovah's Witnesses. I am so much more stable, competent, and stronger since leaving that organization. There were doctrines that simply contended my better judgments.

Yes, the community was the best I ever experienced. Yes, the friendships there were easily the most altruistic, loving expressions I've received. For once I finally *clicked* with people. Morality was tight and I could fit in with it (I feel out of place in morally relative, or even degenerate environments) and it really makes their society thrive...

...but my conscience could not accept an annihilationist perspective of God.
I had a similar experience with a Reformed community. They were good people, very good people whom I made good friends with. I chose to leave it mostly due to the very ugly doctrine and depressing underbelly they followed. I could not in good conscience support them any longer. Hell, it scarred me so much I left Christianity for a year.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I had a similar experience with a Reformed community. They were good people, very good people whom I made good friends with. I chose to leave it mostly due to the very ugly doctrine and depressing underbelly they followed. Hell, it made me leave Christianity for a year.

Hi, that's interesting, have you thought of including that somewhere in a thread?
/don't want to derail this one./

GoodbyeDave

You're going to have to compromise, especially in Britain. I have Anglicans, Catholics, Orthodox, Baptist, Methodist, and United Reform within walking distance, and Unitarians just over the river, but that's London. Find an Anglican church that doesn't have a female priest and give it a try.

I think your problems with female authority are wrong. If Jesus chose male disciples, it could be because he sent them out on their own, which would not be safe for women. But in Romans 16 we meet people like
Phoebe … deacon [diakonos] in the congregation at Cenchrae.
Andronicus and Junia [not "Junias" – there was no such name] … eminent among the apostles.
And in the Old Testament, we have Israel led by Deborah (Judges 4 & 5).

Sariel

Heretic
Hi, that's interesting, have you thought of including that somewhere in a thread?
/don't want to derail this one./
Is there like a personal testimony section here? I'm new here so I don't really know my way around. My faith has been down a very wild ride.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Is there like a personal testimony section here? I'm new here so I don't really know my way around. My faith has been down a very wild ride.

It depends, you can put it in the interview section, or area for debate, if you don't mind that....not totally sure , often people sort of relate experiences on different forums.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
All I know for certain is I accept Jesus as saviour and I don't think women should be in leadership and I would like to be in a church that holds other activities like music/toddlers etc for when I have kids....oh and I enjoy both liturgy and more modern worship :)

Jesus started a church you know. It's called RCC nowadays.

I personally prefer the UU flavor of Christianity because they have adopted more secular values. But if Jesus is god it would be smart to join His Church.

Tom