• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Return of the Takahē, and wishes for the Thylacine

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
"A prehistoric New Zealand bird thought to be extinct in 1898 (but found again in the middle of the 20th century) is doing its best to avoid going the way of the dodo — with lobbying from some tribal leaders who value the bird’s presence."

Click here for full article: Unusual ‘prehistoric’ creature thought for decades to be extinct miraculously surges back: ‘Incredibly significant’

This made my day. Now, what will make my whole year, is definitive proof that Australia's Tasmanian tiger (a.k.a. thylacine) has not gone extinct. There have been some contested/unconfirmed sightings, but so far I don't think that there is yet definitive proof that the thylacine has survived into the present day.

If I get just two wishes for this year then, right after wishing for world peace, I am wishing for some proof of the thylacine's survival. (I suspect that thylacine proof is perhaps a more easily attainable wish than my first choice.)

Tagging @lewisnotmiller, just in case you've spotted a thylacine out in your part of the world.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
"A prehistoric New Zealand bird thought to be extinct in 1898 (but found again in the middle of the 20th century) is doing its best to avoid going the way of the dodo — with lobbying from some tribal leaders who value the bird’s presence."

Click here for full article: Unusual ‘prehistoric’ creature thought for decades to be extinct miraculously surges back: ‘Incredibly significant’

This made my day. Now, what will make my whole year, is definitive proof that Australia's Tasmanian tiger (a.k.a. thylacine) has not gone extinct. There have been some contested/unconfirmed sightings, but so far I don't think that there is yet definitive proof that the thylacine has survived into the present day.

If I get just two wishes for this year then, right after wishing for world peace, I am wishing for some proof of the thylacine's survival. (I suspect that thylacine proof is perhaps a more easily attainable wish than my first choice.)

Tagging @lewisnotmiller, just in case you've spotted a thylacine out in your part of the world.

Sorry, @Rachel Rugelach , I've come across some devils, but no tigers in my Tasmanian trips.
In case you find this interesting...

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry, @Rachel Rugelach , I've come across some devils, but no tigers in my Tasmanian trips.
In case you find this interesting...

Only 68% of Australia's population is in favor of bringing back the thylacine? I guess this is one of those optimistic "cup is half full" sort of scenarios, but I found it disappointing that there wasn't a higher percentage in favor of this.

On the other hand, hearing that when Australian farmers alone were polled it turned out that 89% were in favor it. Now that's encouraging. It was the farmers, after all, who were once chiefly responsible for the thylacine's extinction, placing bounties on the animal in the mistaken belief that the thylacine preyed on sheep.

Today, we know better -- and we also realize how the removal of the thylacine from the ecosystem adversely affected other native Australian species. I found it interesting that the podcast stated how today's farmers, being closer to Australia's nature, are more aware of this fact than the general public may be.

I've seen some fascinating videos on how bringing back the thylacine might be accomplished through the use of available DNA, genetic editing, and a genetically similar, mouse-like animal called the dunnart as a host species.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Only 68% of Australia's population is in favor of bringing back the thylacine? I guess this is one of those optimistic "cup is half full" sort of scenarios, but I found it disappointing that there wasn't a higher percentage in favor of this.

On the other hand, hearing that when Australian farmers alone were polled it turned out that 89% were in favor it. Now that's encouraging. It was the farmers, after all, who were once chiefly responsible for the thylacine's extinction, placing bounties on the animal in the mistaken belief that the thylacine preyed on sheep.

Today, we know better -- and we also realize how the removal of the thylacine from the ecosystem adversely affected other native Australian species. I found it interesting that the podcast stated how today's farmers, being closer to Australia's nature, are more aware of this fact than the general public may be.

I've seen some fascinating videos on how bringing back the thylacine might be accomplished through the use of available DNA, genetic editing, and a genetically similar, mouse-like animal called the dunnart as a host species.
I've read mixed reports about that last part (use of the dunnart).
The Tassie Tiger is a strong and recognisable name here, and regardless of how imminent a revival of them are, invoking the name alongside anything vaguely credible sounding would be enough to draw attention and potentially dollars.

I'm not suggesting that is what's happening, as I honestly have no clue. But that is the con side of the argument, apart from the 'playing God' considerations some would raise on anything like this.

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
I've read mixed reports about that last part (use of the dunnart).
The Tassie Tiger is a strong and recognisable name here, and regardless of how imminent a revival of them are, invoking the name alongside anything vaguely credible sounding would be enough to draw attention and potentially dollars.

I'm not suggesting that is what's happening, as I honestly have no clue. But that is the con side of the argument, apart from the 'playing God' considerations some would raise on anything like this.

Thanks for that article!

Quoted from linked article: "Some species are simply gone forever because of how unique they were, and the thylacine is one of them, [Kris Helgen of the Australian Museum] says."

I disagree. We know why the thylacine went extinct, and it wasn't because of "how unique" it was. It was because of how greedy and misguided the European colonizers were.

I say cheers to Bradley Moggridge, a Kamilaroi environmental scientist at the University of Canberra in Australia who feels that the Tasmanian Aboriginal peoples "who were themselves hunted by white settlers in the 19th century" should be involved in the decision-making process. In fact, I think their opinions should count most of all on these polls taken.

Bradley Moggridge is quoted in the article, saying: “They may have ideas; they might need to get [their traditional lands] ready for this species. That could take a long time... Discussions between the Colossal team and Indigenous Australians could be beneficial for everyone... Aboriginal ecological knowledge about the thylacine would have been encoded in stories and songs, and de-extinction could reignite some of them, but the researchers need to start those conversations now.”

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks for that article!

Quoted from linked article: "Some species are simply gone forever because of how unique they were, and the thylacine is one of them, [Kris Helgen of the Australian Museum] says."

I disagree. We know why the thylacine went extinct, and it wasn't because of "how unique" it was. It was because of how greedy and misguided the European colonizers were.

I say cheers to Bradley Moggridge, a Kamilaroi environmental scientist at the University of Canberra in Australia who feels that the Tasmanian Aboriginal peoples "who were themselves hunted by white settlers in the 19th century" should be involved in the decision-making process. In fact, I think their opinions should count most of all on these polls taken.

Bradley Moggridge is quoted in the article, saying: “They may have ideas; they might need to get [their traditional lands] ready for this species. That could take a long time... Discussions between the Colossal team and Indigenous Australians could be beneficial for everyone... Aboriginal ecological knowledge about the thylacine would have been encoded in stories and songs, and de-extinction could reignite some of them, but the researchers need to start those conversations now.”
Agree with you on all counts.

I can't speak to the thylacine project, as it's private. However, I've been second/third hand connected to a major land project (https://www.mdba.gov.au/water-management/basin-plan) and there has been very explicit engagement with local Aboriginal communities.

This is specifically because of the desire to undo some of the damage that's been done in the name of progress. Things like disrupting natural flooding events works well for humans with commercial interests, but over time has had negative effects on the health of the environment. We now need to intervene to re-establish natural patterns, as these have been disrupted. Us just stepping aside won't work. We were part of the problem, and now need to be part of the solution.