• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Researchers at CERN break “The Speed of Light”

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
That is a very different thing. In QM, there is no actual information that moves faster than light. There are correlations between things widely separated, but the correlation is set up and propagates slower than light.

I guess I was not clear. as far as any particles even light there is a 'speed limit,' but with the initial expansion of the matrix (space) of the universe expansion took place faster than the 'speed of light.' I believe this is what I call the Quantum World Matrix, and not energy nor matter.

From: How can the Universe expand faster than the speed of light during inflation? (Advanced) - Curious About Astronomy? Ask an Astronomer

How can the Universe expand faster than the speed of light during inflation? (Advanced)
Some sources indicate that the big bang caused an expansion which traveled faster than the speed of light. How can this be?

You ask a good question, one whose answer lies in the subtle difference between expansion that is faster than the speed of light and the propagation of information that is faster than the speed of light. The latter is forbidden by fundamental physical laws, but the former is allowed; that is, as long as you are not transmitting any information (like a light pulse), you can make something happen at a speed that is faster than that of light. The expansion of the Universe is a "growth" of the spacetime itself; this spacetime may move faster than the speed of light relative to some other location, as long as the two locations can't communicate with each other (or, in terms of light rays, these two parts of the Universe can't see each other). According to the theory of inflation, the Universe grew by a factor of 10 to the sixtieth power in less than 10 to the negative thirty seconds, so the "edges" of the Universe were expanding away from each other faster than the speed of light; however, as long as those edges can't see each other (which is what we always assume), there is no physical law that forbids it.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I guess I was not clear. as far as any particles even light there is a 'speed limit,' but with the initial expansion of the matrix (space) of the universe expansion took place faster than the 'speed of light.' I believe this is what I call the Quantum World Matrix, and not energy nor matter.

From: How can the Universe expand faster than the speed of light during inflation? (Advanced) - Curious About Astronomy? Ask an Astronomer

How can the Universe expand faster than the speed of light during inflation? (Advanced)
Some sources indicate that the big bang caused an expansion which traveled faster than the speed of light. How can this be?

You ask a good question, one whose answer lies in the subtle difference between expansion that is faster than the speed of light and the propagation of information that is faster than the speed of light. The latter is forbidden by fundamental physical laws, but the former is allowed; that is, as long as you are not transmitting any information (like a light pulse), you can make something happen at a speed that is faster than that of light. The expansion of the Universe is a "growth" of the spacetime itself; this spacetime may move faster than the speed of light relative to some other location, as long as the two locations can't communicate with each other (or, in terms of light rays, these two parts of the Universe can't see each other). According to the theory of inflation, the Universe grew by a factor of 10 to the sixtieth power in less than 10 to the negative thirty seconds, so the "edges" of the Universe were expanding away from each other faster than the speed of light; however, as long as those edges can't see each other (which is what we always assume), there is no physical law that forbids it.

OK, that isn't essentially quantum mechanical. It follows from 'classical' general relativity if there is a certain type of 'inflaton' field.

Now, it is possible the Higg's particle *is* the inflaton. It is possible there is another particle that is the inflaton. But the inflationary epoch doesn't depend on the specifics of the particle and its QM properties, just how its energy is affected by expansion.

But, yes, it is quite possible for *space* to expand 'faster than light' although there are some definitional issues in this statement. No information transfer happens faster than light, though. The original neutrino results would have amounted to an information transfer.