• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Research suggests chocolate chip cookies are highly addictive

Are you addicted to chocolate chip cookies?

• Yes

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • I eat them, but I'm not addicted

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • I hate chocolate chip cookies

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters

Cooky

Veteran Member
The same tree you get cocaine from.

Makes me wonder if there is a connection.

Actually no, chocolate is from the cocao tree, and cocaine is from the coca plant.

Cocao is an actual tree, and coca is a small shrub.

Cocao (chocolate)
Cocoa_tree_blossom_and_fruit.jpg

Coca (cocaine)
Erythroxylum_novogranatense_var._Novogranatense_(retouched).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cooky

Veteran Member
Very technically speaking it's possible, but you have to remember cocaine and chocolate are all processed and refined from the plant, and different parts of it. You can eat a pound of chocolate, it won't have the same effect as doing a couple lines of coke. In a chemical sense, probably, but as far as anyone will physiologically notice or be effected, no. Or, it has far less trace amounts of anything that could trigger addictive responses than the original recipe of Coca-Cola that did include small amounts of cocaine (though not enough to get someone speeding or turn them into a junkie).

Two different plants actually... Though they're spelled, and sound almost the same.

One major difference is that the cocao tree grows to about 30 feet tall, and the coca plant can reach a height of only 7 ft.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Oh chocolate,... Am i addicted? Only as much as i am addicted to coffee.

There are several ingredients that can be addictive, apart from sugar and fat there is tryptophan and phenylethylamine. The first acts like serotonin the second amphetamine.

Being chocoholic is real.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Methinks they've not done cannabis or cocaine, especially coke. And, I would say, probably haven't personally known any addicts, either.
Days when I would benefit from a beer I am generally tired and not in a mood to fetch any. Cookies are the same way, and therefore I know they are addictive. That is just cold logic.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Addicted to chocolate. I can't stand chocolate chip cookies. As with coffee my consumption is over the legal limit.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Days when I would benefit from a beer I am generally tired and not in a mood to fetch any. Cookies are the same way, and therefore I know they are addictive. That is just cold logic.
No, it's ignorance. Cookies will never ruin your life. Cookies will never have people doing dangerous and criminal activities to get a fix. Cookies will not wreck havoc on the brain the way addiction will.AAddiction talks through people. Cookies do not.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
To my knowledge I've never used drugs that were not prescribed.
That's what I thought. Amphetamines in general just do not effect the brain the same way as the ingredients you listed. It's utterly incomparable. Sure, dopamine is involved in both, but it's "really involved" with amphetamines. The same with coke. The way crackcocaine and crystal meth can have people on the carpet looking for crumbs (very little is actually needed when smoked).

ChristineM

Premium Member
That's what I thought. Amphetamines in general just do not effect the brain the same way as the ingredients you listed. It's utterly incomparable. Sure, dopamine is involved in both, but it's "really involved" with amphetamines. The same with coke. The way crackcocaine and crystal meth can have people on the carpet looking for crumbs (very little is actually needed when smoked).

The data says amphetamine is derived from phenylethylamine which is a neurotransmitter that can cause mild excitement.

Phenylethylamine is also known as chocolate amphetamine.

I really dont know what the effects of the real thing are but i am really quite ok with being addicted to chocolate.

And now i need to pop into the pantry and pick up a few morsels just to keep me going until my next few morsels.

ChristineM

Premium Member
images

The ultimate addiction.

Don't like ben and jerrys much, but i have found the ultimate addictive ice cream. And its not chocolate..!

front_fr.20.full.jpg

5 strengths of coffee with edible coffee beans.

I am afraid its only available in France

Flame

Beware
Don't like ben and jerrys much, but i have found the ultimate addictive ice cream. And its not chocolate..!

View attachment 33661
5 strengths of coffee with edible coffee beans.

I am afraid its only available in France

Looks like I'll have to explain to my wife why I'm importing ice cream from France. :D