• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reprehensible Refereces to Adolf Hitler

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date
A

angellous_evangellous

Adolf Hitler is so notorious that, for most of us, he and his Nazi compatriots can be referred to as people and policies which are unquestionably evil.

That is, we all can agree - or should - that genocide based on race or ethnicity is evil, and we see in Hitler the awful consequences of a nation ignoring the rise of a tyrant who killed not only his own people, but sought to have his diabolical will imposed on all of Europe and possibly the entire world.

Calling someone a Nazi or a Hitler who does not embrace Nazism or the teachings of Hitler is therefore not only stupid but despicable and an insult to the memory of the millions of people that they killed, and the memory of those who died trying to free Europe from his tyranny and that of his allies.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
On the other hand, the history of Nationalism and the rise of Fascism in Europe are important historical lessons, and should be studied by every schoolchild. The psychology that allowed the ascedancy of fascist dictatorships is hard-wired into the human brain. To avoid continual historical re-iterations of the 1930s we must be familiar with the Authoritarian psychological type; with the experiments of Milgram and Zimbardo.
Anyone not completely familiar with these is, in my opinion, a potential frog-in-a-saucepan.

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Doesn't this create an anti-intellectual position where if any person mentions Hitler or Nazism then he or she is shouted down irrespective of the content of the point being made?

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
Hi Joe. This "venting" thread was inspired when a certain member was regularly calling other members Nazis for holding views with which that member disagreed - shouting them down irrespective of the content of the point being made.

Although I'm out of place speaking for A_E here, I don't think the position is that all discussion of Hitler or the Nazis is "verboten." From my past interactions with you on another forum, I know that you will be able to discuss those subjects without resorting to the tactics this thread was addressing, so feel free. :yes:

A

angellous_evangellous

Doesn't this create an anti-intellectual position where if any person mentions Hitler or Nazism then he or she is shouted down irrespective of the content of the point being made?

Reading the OP would be useful...

Calling someone a Nazi or a Hitler who does not embrace Nazism or the teachings of Hitler is therefore not only stupid but despicable and an insult to the memory of the millions of people that they killed, and the memory of those who died trying to free Europe from his tyranny and that of his allies.

Mentioning Hitler is not the same thing as calling someone a Hitler or a Nazi...

lizskid

BANNED
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
re·tard·ed
thinsp.png
Audio Help/rɪˈtɑr
thinsp.png
dɪd/
Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ri-tahr-did]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation–adjective 1.characterized by retardation: a retarded child. –noun 2.(used with a plural verb
thinsp.png
) mentally retarded persons collectively (usually prec. by the): new schools for the retarded.
[Origin: 1800–10; retard + -ed2
thinsp.png
]

—Synonyms backward, disabled, handicapped.

As the parent of a retarded individual, I would appreciate your not using that word in connection with those who call others nazi or any such thing. My son would have much more sense. And he would spell it correctly.

A

angellous_evangellous

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
re·tard·ed
thinsp.png
Audio Help/rɪˈtɑr
thinsp.png
dɪd/
Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ri-tahr-did]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation–adjective 1.characterized by retardation: a retarded child. –noun 2.(used with a plural verb
thinsp.png
) mentally retarded persons collectively (usually prec. by the): new schools for the retarded.
[Origin: 1800–10; retard + -ed2
thinsp.png
]

—Synonyms backward, disabled, handicapped.

As the parent of a retarded individual, I would appreciate your not using that word in connection with those who call others nazi or any such thing. My son would have much more sense. And he would spell it correctly.

Done.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sometimes the reference is apt.
The mental defect that led to the Nazi atrocities is a part of normal human psychology, so it's no surprise when societies begin venturing down the same path. When this happens we should not hesitate to point this out for fear of being ridiculed for Godwinism [is that a word?].

wednesday

Jesus
Adolf Hitler is so notorious that, for most of us, he and his Nazi compatriots can be referred to as people and policies which are unquestionably evil.

That is, we all can agree - or should - that genocide based on race or ethnicity is evil, and we see in Hitler the awful consequences of a nation ignoring the rise of a tyrant who killed not only his own people, but sought to have his diabolical will imposed on all of Europe and possibly the entire world.

It is true, btu often i hear it being thrown around such as ýou're a musical nazi" and comments of that sort referring to people being narrow minded. Do you consider such references offensive and insulting? I've never thought of such insults and sadly i've used the word on a few occasions to describe someones actions :(

On a semi-related topic what do you think of neo-nazis and Nazi groups committing atrocities and so forth.

Also do you think Nazi memorabilia is acceptable, i have a world war 2 german helmet, do you think its right to keep memories of Nazi Germany?

dust1n

Zindīq

Wait... wasn't Russia just as evil? They killed about 1.5 mil Ukrainians in the winter of '33.

Last edited: