1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: North Korean hackers stepping up crypto attacks

Discussion in 'Asia-Pacific Politics' started by Stevicus, Jan 25, 2023 at 9:06 AM.

1. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +22,131
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Report: North Korean hackers stepping up crypto attacks - UPI.com

Meanwhile, Google makes me click on pictures of fire hydrants and traffic lights to prove I'm human.

I'm not sure how any of this works or how North Korean hackers (or any hackers from any country) are able to pull off these massive heists. In recent years, there have been major cyber attacks attributed to Russia and China. They're ostensibly trying to beef up security and so forth, but hackers somehow keep finding ways around whatever security is in place. It seems like a constant battle waged in cyberspace.

It reminds me of the old western trope where the fate of an entire town rests on the outcome of a gun battle between the villain and the good guy - both expert gunfighters, but the good guy is always just a little bit better. And the town is saved.

Is the internet doomed?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Twilight Hue

Twilight Hue Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Ratings:
    +21,855
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    Sometimes I think the world would be better off without the internet.

3. Alien826

Alien826 Older than dirt

Ratings:
    +1,213
    Religion:
    Horizontalist
    The good news for individuals is that these emails and texts are pretty obvious. Mis-spelled words, bad grammar and so on.

Some advice might help someone, and I urge others to add to this.

If there is a link to click on, hover the mouse over it and note the address that comes up. If it doesn't look like the organization they claim to be, don't click it.

If the email claims to be from a respectable organization, say Amazon, contact them directly.

Never enter id's and passwords online unless you are totally sure the web page is genuine.

Anyone that wants you to buy gift cards for them is definitely a scam.

I got a number of texts that seemed to be a "wrong number". Beware. If you reply, they will try to engage you in conversation and make friends with you. This "friendship" can go on for months before they offer you some kind of investment opportunity. If you send you them money that's the last you will hear from them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Alien826

Alien826 Older than dirt

Ratings:
    +1,213
    Religion:
    Horizontalist
    Oh, there's a whole industry in India doing this. They employ bright young men and women who can't get jobs due to a surplus of people with degrees. If they have an Indian accent, be very suspicious.

5. Twilight Hue

Twilight Hue Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Ratings:
    +21,855
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    Hellooo.... IRS calling.....

6. Alien826

Alien826 Older than dirt

Ratings:
    +1,213
    Religion:
    Horizontalist
    Exactly.