• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Removal of tattoo?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm posting this here for the reason that I'd like the opinion of Native Americans about this tattoo.

First, I got it many years ago, not as any kind of cultural appropriation. I do not incorporate Native American culture into my spiritual beliefs and practices. But I respect and honor Native Americans for their very cultures, beliefs and spirituality. I got the tattoo to show respect. The OM tattoo, while I am not Hindu, also resonates with me in certain ways.

But now I am feeling ambivalent about keeping the Native American-style tattoo after all the talk nowadays about cultural appropriation and how many Native Americans find it offensive. In keeping with that respect, should I have it removed, or keep it for what it has represented to me?

What say you?

Right arm tats.jpeg

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I'm posting this here for the reason that I'd like the opinion of Native Americans about this tattoo.

First, I got it many years ago, not as any kind of cultural appropriation. I do not incorporate Native American culture into my spiritual beliefs and practices. But I respect and honor Native Americans for their very cultures, beliefs and spirituality. I got the tattoo to show respect. The OM tattoo, while I am not Hindu, also resonates with me in certain ways.

But now I am feeling ambivalent about keeping the Native American-style tattoo after all the talk nowadays about cultural appropriation and how many Native Americans find it offensive. In keeping with that respect, should I have it removed, or keep it for what it has represented to me?

What say you?

View attachment 10502
Or get it modified so that it has less of the indigenous look about it. A good artist can do that, as I understand that removal does not always work.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Or get it modified so that it has less of the indigenous look about it. A good artist can do that, as I understand that removal does not always work.

I thought about getting it modified too. It would have to be something meaningful.