• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Remember the Sabbath Day to Keep it Holy

Sola Scriptura

Remember the Sabbath Day to keep it holy. Ex.20:8

Which "DAY" is the Sabbath day according to the Bible?

Why does God tell us to "Remember" to keep it holy?

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
That sabbath day was originally on saturday but it was changed to sunday after Christ's ressurection.

He tells us to remember to keep it holy so we don't forget to keep it holy.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Remember the Sabbath Day to keep it holy. Ex.20:8

Which "DAY" is the Sabbath day according to the Bible?

Why does God tell us to "Remember" to keep it holy?

Have you ever wondered why all of these rules supposedly imposed by God are not enforced by Him? Wouldn't it be so easy, after all, He did create the universe...

Ancient priests created the rule of remembering the sabbath. How else would they get the people to come to church once a week and give them money?

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
Have you ever wondered why all of these rules supposedly imposed by God are not enforced by Him? Wouldn't it be so easy, after all, He did create the universe...

Ancient priests created the rule of remembering the sabbath. How else would they get the people to come to church once a week and give them money?

You mean like forcing everyone to obey the sabbath?

logician

That sabbath day was originally on saturday but it was changed to sunday after Christ's ressurection.

Really an abitrary decision, and only for Christians, unless you think Jews don't exist.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
When after Christ's resurrection was the Sabbath changed, Sola'lor? Your post gives the impression that it was changed directly after the event, but I can't think of any biblical support for this.

I thought it was officialy changed by some ecclesiastical council centuries after Christ, to prevent Christians "Judaising." :confused:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
When after Christ's resurrection was the Sabbath changed, Sola'lor?
It was not changed. It was rejected and replaced:
Canon XXIX.

Christians must not judaize by resting on the Sabbath, but must work on that day, rather honouring the Lord’s Day; and, if they can, resting then as Christians. But if any shall be found to be judaizers, let them be anathema from Christ. [Council of Laodicea]​
It is not difficult to recognize the precursor to the most virulent antisemitism in this rejection.

kai

ragamuffin
its friday for muslims, and i always thought it was still Saturday for rest and Sunday for worship hence two days at the weekend!

R W Blu

Canon XXIX.

Christians must not judaize by resting on the Sabbath, but must work on that day, rather honouring the Lord’s Day; and, if they can, resting then as Christians. But if any shall be found to be judaizers, let them be anathema from Christ.​
It is not difficult to recognize the precursor to the most virulent antisemitism in this rejection.

This obviously false claim that represents that Sunday worship did not exist until sometime in the 3rd or 4th century does not have coherence with history actual .

There are other historical writings other than the New Testament such as....

Diadche -- between 80 and 140 AD, Ignatius, about 107 AD, Aristides -- 125 AD, Justin Matyr -- 160 AD. And they all record similar writings , as as this......

Victorinus, about 280 AD, "And let this become a rigorous fast, lest we should appear to observe any Sabbath with the Jews. For concerning {their Sabbath**, Christ himself, the Lord of the Sabbath, says by His prophets that "His soul hates." In His body, He abolished this Sabbath."

Aristides says much the same,"However, {the Jews** too have erred form true knowledge, in the their imagination, they think that it is God whom they serve. Actually, by their type of worship they render their service to the angels and not to God. For example, they do so when they celebrate Sabbaths."

Thus, indeed it is a very simple thing to prove that a council held in between 363-364 AD could have not instituted the practice of Christians holding worship services on Sunday in honor of the Christ's resurrection.

But the most obvious recording concerning the change of covenants and the observations of Sabbaths, comes form the scriptures of the Old Testament -- Jer. 31: 31-36. The prophet foretold of the changing covenants and how the physical nation of Israel would be taken from the sight of God when this change came about, (VS. 36), "If these ordinances depart from before me, saith the Lord, then the seed of Israel shall cease from being a nation before me forever." And indeed the physical nation of Israel was wiped from the fact of the earth by the Roman Empire, just as the prophet said, and just as the Christ prophesied -- Mathew 24: 4-35. But, there is not scripture of prophecies to be found in either book that declares that Israel will disappear from the face of the earth for 2000 years and then reappear with no tribal ID, no priesthood to council the God appointed monarch, in fact no monarch, yet we are supposed to believe this is the Israel of the Bible. RW BLU

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Canon XXIX.

Christians must not judaize by resting on the Sabbath, but must work on that day, rather honouring the Lord’s Day; and, if they can, resting then as Christians. But if any shall be found to be judaizers, let them be anathema from Christ. [Council of Laodicea]​

This obviously false claim that represents that Sunday worship did not exist until sometime in the 3rd or 4th century does not have coherence with history actual .
And your response "has no coherence with" my post. At issue was not the origins of Sunday worship but the rejection of Shabbat observance. If you're incapable of distinguishing between these two topics, feel free to PM me.

There are other historical writings other than the New Testament such as....

Diadche -- between 80 and 140 AD, Ignatius, about 107 AD, Aristides -- 125 AD, Justin Matyr -- 160 AD. And they all record similar writings , as as this......

Victorinus, about 280 AD, "And let this become a rigorous fast, lest we should appear to observe any Sabbath with the Jews.
Yes, the nascent antecedents of antisemitism had an extensive history. The fact remains that it was codified as canon at the Council of Laodicea.

Thus, indeed it is a very simple thing to prove that a council held in between 363-364 AD could have not instituted the practice of Christians holding worship services on Sunday in honor of the Christ's resurrection.
Yes. Defeating strawman arguments tends to be predictably easy.

Todd

Rajun Cajun
IMO, it's neither. From reading the bible, it doesn't say God created the earth Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and rested on Saturday. It just said he worked 6 days and rested the 7th. So, for me, my Sabbath is Sunday since I have that day off. For others, it might be some other day of the week since they work Saturday and Sunday. I think the Sabbath being celebrated on either day is due to tradition.

logician

IMO, it's neither. From reading the bible, it doesn't say God created the earth Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and rested on Saturday. It just said he worked 6 days and rested the 7th. So, for me, my Sabbath is Sunday since I have that day off. For others, it might be some other day of the week since they work Saturday and Sunday. I think the Sabbath being celebrated on either day is due to tradition.

Why would an omnipotent spiritual entity need to rest? The concept is illogical.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Doesn't the Bible command: "Remember the Sabbath...?" It doesn't just say 'take a day off once in a while'. It sounds pretty specific.
At the time it was written I don't think anyone had any doubt that it was referring to a particular day of the week, after all, it named the day: Shabbat -- Saturday.

I think Jay has a point. The change came about at a time when Christians were actively trying to distinguish themselves from the Jewish community.

Random

The Bible commands its followers to remember (Zachor) and to observe (Shamor).

El = God, who is Saturn, Saturn = Saturday, ergo Jews celebrate their holy Sabbath on Saturday. How this relates to Yahweh is...murky to me. Christ-God's personification is the Sun, so Christians have it on Sunday. Need more information...

R W Blu

And your response "has no coherence with" my post. At issue was not the origins of Sunday worship but the rejection of Shabbat observance. If you're incapable of distinguishing between these two topics, feel free to PM me.

Yes, the nascent antecedents of antisemitism had an extensive history. The fact remains that it was codified as canon at the Council of Laodicea.

Yes. Defeating strawman arguments tends to be predictably easy.

Or claiming to, but not actually presenting any retort other than the nonsense previously espoused, is easy. ( don't break your arm by patting yourself on the back). Perhaps the better question might be, can you prove via the scriptures of either the Old Testament or the New Testament covenant of the Holy Scriptures that the doctrine is wrong as presented in the Cannon? Does it really matter at what time these writings were presented in a cannon (a continual collection of the "inspired" writings of those that actually eye witnessed or directly worked under those that did witness the accounts of which they recorded), does it really change the truth that is presented from these copies of the original texts? Thus, I request that you present your "scriptural" proof, of what you have been espousing in only "opinion".

After all, it was this same "cannon process" that you are trying to discredit that was responsible for saving the scriptures for almost 1100 years -- 400 BC - 700 AD. And proven via the fact of the discovery of the "Dead Sea" scrolls, which some copies of the Old Testament were actually dated around 400 BC in the "Septuagint" translation, of which the earliest know complete works of the Old Testament (previous) were dated in the 7th century AD. When the scripts of the pre-Christian era of the Dead Sea scrolls were compared with the 7 century writings they were practically verbatim in contextual script in preserving the "original truth" which they held. RW Blu

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
I believe in honoring and remembering the Sabbath, which for me, is Sunday. As for God's reasons for this commandment, IMO it is part of remembering him. Remembering what he has done for us.

Sunday is like tithing. God gives us six days to do as we see fit, and one day we give to him. And our efforts on the six days will be magnified, and expanded so that we can earn, or accomplish what we need to do, sufficient for our needs.

I honor the Sabbath by attending all my church meetings every week without fail, except for the rare circumstances like illness. I use it for scripture study, lesson preparation, etc. We also try to fit in family time.

I refrain from sports, shopping, and working. There are jobs that require Sunday work, such as in medicine and law enforcement. But when possible, I try to not work on Sundays. And I try not to make others work on my behalf, for example--waiting on me at a restaurant.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler

What verses show that the sabbath is on Saturday?
Or is it traditional that Saturday was the sabbath?