• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Remakes you want to see?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay so this is somewhat inspired by my friend and I having a cathartic rant together about the Disney Remakes lol
Needless to say we’re not really a fan of their live action remakes. (Though I think I’m far more unforgiving than she is.)
I know they’re done so Disney can keep the copyright or whatever. But they could make them fun at least. They have the talent!

But that doesn’t mean I’m against remakes. I think like all art, you can have a genuinely interesting if not good remake if it’s done right. Done from a different point of view or even exploring another aspect to the original. Hell you could argue that something like the Peter Jackson LotR trilogy is a remake. It’s the second attempt at a movie adaption of the books, after all. And it’s honestly one hell of a project.
So it’s clearly not impossible.

For me I kind of want to see another go at the Oz The Great and Powerful. But I think it could work with a talented cast and a good director (and quality script obviously.)
I didn’t like this film, but I also thought it was at least an interesting exercise in examining classical fictional characters. That can be interesting. And okay, I guess giving the Wicked Witch a backstory is one of those “too much info” moments for some. But if you actually made her revenge motivation come from a better more interesting place than well, that movie did, I think it could be a cool character study. At the very least.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Disney tackle a live action Treasure Planet remake. Though that ship has probably sailed with them over saturating the market with the Pirates of the Caribbean movies lol.
But I genuinely think this is an under appreciated film and I like that kind of steam punk look. I think it could work well as at the very least a fun campy little live action remake. Maybe even combine it with animation for the aliens, I don’t know. I feel like there’s a really cool epic quality movie somewhere here. Even if it is still going to be a niche project, admittedly.

What about you guys?

What movie remakes, adaptions of written material or otherwise, do you think could potentially be out there? Or just a movie remake you want to see happen?
It can be any film you like. Even foreign cinema counts!

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Robin Hood, but this time he goes to Wall Street to steal from there, gets called a communist, and ends up working as a banker out of guilt after opening his eyes to the beauty of the corporate grind.
Ngl, that is quite an “interesting” point of view to have with the character of Robin Hood

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I'd like to see Pinocchio and Peter Pan.
Hmm you haven’t seen the Disney Live Action Pinocchio from last year?
I mean it hasn’t gotten the best reviews, so it’s fair enough if you chose not to.
I chose not to, but that’s me.
If you did see it, what did you think?

Though a Peter Pan remake would be cool

Erebus

I loved the 2022 Hellraiser remake. While the original is excellent, the way the cenobites are presented in the remake felt closer to how I pictured them in the novella.

With that in mind, I'd love to see a similar remake/reimaging of Hellraiser 2. I find the ambition of Hellraiser 2 admirable as they really tried to explore the nature of the cenobites and to provide a detailed look at Hell. What held it back was the budget and the technology available at the time. Those things are less of an issue these days.

You could also include elements of Hellraiser 4 in it. The Lemarchand section was great. Pinhead in space wasn't.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay so this is somewhat inspired by my friend and I having a cathartic rant together about the Disney Remakes lol
Needless to say we’re not really a fan of their live action remakes. (Though I think I’m far more unforgiving than she is.)
I know they’re done so Disney can keep the copyright or whatever. But they could make them fun at least. They have the talent!

But that doesn’t mean I’m against remakes. I think like all art, you can have a genuinely interesting if not good remake if it’s done right. Done from a different point of view or even exploring another aspect to the original. Hell you could argue that something like the Peter Jackson LotR trilogy is a remake. It’s the second attempt at a movie adaption of the books, after all. And it’s honestly one hell of a project.
So it’s clearly not impossible.

For me I kind of want to see another go at the Oz The Great and Powerful. But I think it could work with a talented cast and a good director (and quality script obviously.)
I didn’t like this film, but I also thought it was at least an interesting exercise in examining classical fictional characters. That can be interesting. And okay, I guess giving the Wicked Witch a backstory is one of those “too much info” moments for some. But if you actually made her revenge motivation come from a better more interesting place than well, that movie did, I think it could be a cool character study. At the very least.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Disney tackle a live action Treasure Planet remake. Though that ship has probably sailed with them over saturating the market with the Pirates of the Caribbean movies lol.
But I genuinely think this is an under appreciated film and I like that kind of steam punk look. I think it could work well as at the very least a fun campy little live action remake. Maybe even combine it with animation for the aliens, I don’t know. I feel like there’s a really cool epic quality movie somewhere here. Even if it is still going to be a niche project, admittedly.

What about you guys?

What movie remakes, adaptions of written material or otherwise, do you think could potentially be out there? Or just a movie remake you want to see happen?
It can be any film you like. Even foreign cinema counts!

As far as Disney productions go, I grew up watching The Wonderful World of Disney every Sunday night - some of which were older cartoons while others were true to life nature stories which were actually pretty good. But other Disney films I recall were The World's Greatest Athlete, Gus, The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, Now You See Him Now You Don't - the latter two being some of the early Kurt Russell films where he played a clean-cut kid. (It was kind of surreal a few years later watching him appear in movies like Used Cars and Escape From New York, where he was anything but clean.)

Though I'm not too big on remakes myself. I think Hollywood has gone overboard with remakes. I know they've had this recent writers' strike, but then, if they're just going to do remakes, I have to wonder about what these writers actually do. In any case, Hollywood blockbusters are always big on the huge visual spectacle, with the glitter and special effects - along with loud explosions and cheesy music that makes it next to impossible to actually hear what the characters are saying to each other. That kind of stuff seems more important than actual plot, storyline, or dialogue - and it doesn't matter if they have to pull ideas and stories which have already been used, hence all these remakes.

However, there might be some older, lesser known productions which might be suitable for a remake. I'm not totally against remakes - only when they're rehashing productions which were popular and successful and gained a long-term fanbase. I remember a TV series from the 70s called The Starlost (The Starlost - Wikipedia), which was very low-budget and perhaps a bit cheesy, although the idea was originally conceived by Harlan Ellison and showed a lot of promise. I wonder how it would be if that was put into the right hands and reworked into something much better.