• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Politics - What will the "spin machine" do?

Pah

Uber all member
Smelling a Rat
By moiv Fri Dec 01, 2006 at 02:49:44 AM EST

http://www.talk2action.org/story/2006/12/1/24944/4172

As the rest of the world knows but the Christian right won't admit, having an abortion does not increase a woman's risk of developing breast cancer. That's yesterday's news.

Today's news is just-published research showing that the early abortion drug mifepristone, also known as Mifeprex and RU-486, offers great promise in preventing breast cancer.
The results of a new study from the University of California only confirm what previous research had already indicated: Abortion Pill May Help Prevent Breast Cancer

Not only breast cancer but depression as well
Two small studies, the latest appearing last month in the journal Biological Psychiatry, have found that mifepristone is effective in helping people whose severe depression is accompanied by delusional beliefs or hallucinations. Of the 30 patients in the recent study, those who took mifepristone for seven days at dosages higher than those used for abortions showed substantial and rapid improvement in their symptoms, the researchers found. The drug produced only mild side effects in the study.
:::
Patients with psychotic depression often suffer from delusions, believing, for example, that they deserve punishment for imagined crimes or that they have terminal illnesses.

Psychiatrists have traditionally treated psychotically depressed patients with some combination of antidepressants, antipsychotic drugs and electroshock therapy, an approach that has yielded only moderate success.
:::
A chemical compound used for abortions may seem an odd candidate for a depression drug. But mifepristone attracted the attention of researchers for good reason.

Mifepristone induces abortion by blocking the action of progesterone, a hormone necessary for implanting a fertilized egg in the lining of the uterus.

But in higher doses, the drug also blocks another hormone, cortisol, which is secreted by the adrenal glands and plays a critical role in the body's response to stress. Patients with psychotic depression, studies have shown, often have elevated levels of cortisol.
Read the responses from these anti-abortionists. Discuss the strategy of misinformation.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
It relieves depression and helps to prevent breast cancer, that settles it.....:areyoucra I'm sure you know it takes much more then that to end the life of an innocent. Atleast you titled me correctly this time. I certainly am anti-abortion.

Pah

Uber all member
Victor said:
It relieves depression and helps to prevent breast cancer, that settles it.....:areyoucra I'm sure you know it takes much more then that to end the life of an innocent. Atleast you titled me correctly this time. I certainly am anti-abortion.
Your "innocent" is an abritrary concept that extends before the moment of conception and hardly the stuff of breast cancer or depression.

But, at least in your case, you don't rely on "was-was" to put down a legitimate use of a drug. That is the topic of the thread. I'd be happy to hear about the misinformation your fellow anti-abortionists provide.