• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious persecution. Ahmadiyah community Indonesia

Wombat

(Please move to appropriate forum if deemed inappropriate to General Religious Debates)

First up...I’m going to lay claim to a track record of being a longstanding supporter and advocate of the historical role of Islam, the legitimacy of Islam as a revealed religion and a friend and supporter of Islam and Moslems in general.

That said, I wish to deplore in the strongest possible terms the current spate of religious persecution being conducted by fanatical religious zealots in Indonesia.

“On February 6, a mob of about 1,500 people attacked 21 members of the Ahmadiyah religious community in Cikeusik, in Banten province, killing three people and seriously wounding five others. About 30 police officers were present but did little to stop the attack.
The Persecution of Ahmadiyya Muslim Community: Indonesia: Ensure Security in Religious Killings Trial
Indonesia Needs to Defend Religious Freedom Following Increased Violence Against Religious Minorities « Persecution News

From documentary evidence presented in a recent ABC TV program-
ABC Asia Pacific News:Stories:Religion and the law

The persecution and violence towards religious minorities is being conducted with the support and approval of the State in Indonesia.

“The Ahmadiyah Islamic sect has been banned in 16 provinces, despite the Indonesian constitution conferring the right of religious freedom on all citizens”.

What I find disturbing is that the majority of voices opposing such persecution appear to be coming from non Muslims and I invite Muslim brothers to counter this impression and/or suggest how greater support/pressure might be achieved to rectify this situation.

In short, I am looking for evidence of widespread/global Muslim opposition to such persecution (and conceding that it may exist but I am missing/not seeing it).

I have also heard some commentators and Muslims suggest that what may be required to rectify these circumstances within some Muslim countries is something akin to The Reformation that occurred within Christianity.....

I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This kind of mentality that is found amongst many Muslims today is really depressing for me. Its probably one of the things that bother me the most in my life. As aside from how wrong it is to do this and think like this, i just can't believe people would let themselves be swayed that far by petty feelings, that are not even endorsed by the very religion they claim to be doing this because of, even if that claim isn't really made, at least thats what some of them think.

Others of course do this out of simple 'team' or 'tribe' mindset so to speak. In any case, all i can say is i can only hope that the number of Muslims who understand the concept of tolerance, the simple concept of accepting others, increase and become more influential in the future. As we need that because this distorted messed up thinking is really having more way than it should ever have amongst Muslims.

Wombat

Others of course do this out of simple 'team' or 'tribe' mindset so to speak.

Yes...this is one of the things that came across strongly in the ABC TV program- the sense of tribalism...even expressed in terms of "They (the Ahmadiyah community) are >hurting us<" (in their blasphemy against Islam).

I factor in Badran that so many in the persecuting mob appeared to be poor and poorly educated villagers........but the Ministers of State condoning and excusing the violence had no such mitigating excuse.

In any case, all i can say is i can only hope that the number of Muslims who understand the concept of tolerance, the simple concept of accepting others, increase and become more influential in the future. As we need that because this distorted messed up thinking is really having more way than it should ever have amongst Muslims.

I share your "hope" mate....but I'm a pragmatist and an obsessive/compulsive for justice....I also hope for a strategy...a plan...an organized movement or even the common/shared concern to build one on....I want to see oposition to "this distorted messed up thinking". And part of that oposition is Education...to this end the Australian Govt has funded the construction of some 2000+ schools in Indonesia.

I be proud of that and desire more thereof.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes...this is one of the things that came across strongly in the ABC TV program- the sense of tribalism...even expressed in terms of "They (the Ahmadiyah community) are >hurting us<" (in their blasphemy against Islam).

I factor in Badran that so many in the persecuting mob appeared to be poor and poorly educated villagers........

That is indeed in many cases a huge factor that contribute to such mindset, the lack of education can have serious damages.

but the Ministers of State condoning and excusing the violence had no such mitigating excuse.

I agree.

I share your "hope" mate....but I'm a pragmatist and an obsessive/compulsive for justice....I also hope for a strategy...a plan...an organized movement or even the common/shared concern to build one on....I want to see oposition to "this distorted messed up thinking". And part of that oposition is Education...to this end the Australian Govt has funded the construction of some 2000+ schools in Indonesia.

I be proud of that and desire more thereof.

The only reason i sounded the way i did, is because i've been seeing too many examples of this lately (though of course not all on the same level). I'm overwhelmed by this amount of ignorance.

Regarding how i think this should be solved, what you mentioned for starters is very important. These places need better education and better conditions in general where there'd be room for a better community where such ideas are less likely to spread.

I also believe there needs to be a strong movement to clean people's heads of somethings that are stuck unfairly to their religion, either through culture or dishonest scholars, and in some cases criminal supposed scholars.