• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Insurance

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It is also impossible to implement since it is based on the notion that a person can consciously CHOOSE to believe that someone or something does or doesn’t exist or that a certain proposition is or isn’t true. People are simply not able to consciously CHOOSE their beliefs.
I'm sure you need to believe that.

rstrats

Jay,

re: "I'm sure you need to believe that."

Is there any implication in that comment that you think that beliefs can be consciously CHOSEN?

BTW, I don’t need to believe that. I just do.

rstrats

Jay,

re: "So, it's uncaused, unnecessary ... "

I think that when a new belief is realized that it is indeed caused, most likely by a process occurring in the subconscious mind due to an exposure to outside stimuli, such as literature, lectures, media, and conversation.

I’m not sure what you mean by unnecessary, though.

re: "...if you want yet another thread on free will, let's make it yet another thread. OK?"

OK with me, but I’m not sure that a free will issue is what we’re talking about here. Free will to me is to be free from any outside restraint preventing the pursuit or fulfillment of ones desires. It does not mean , however, that the object of one’s will or desire has to be realized. It also does not mean that the development of one’s will or desire cannot be influenced by outside sources.

In your post #3, because you introduced Pascal’s Wager into the discussion as representative of the "insurance policy" that the OP was mentioning, I thought that a comment should be made regarding the basic premise of the Wager. If my comment were true, then any further discussion would be academic.

Also, you have a question directed to you in post # 22.