• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Enslavement

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
why do some people seek control of other as self? seek control of their neighbors life; which doesn't directly affect them?

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
why do some people seek control of other as self? seek control of their neighbors life; which doesn't directly affect them?

I think it is tribalism. If you are not with us then you are against us, therefore those who are not with us are a threat that has to become one of us and maybe even eliminated.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

You can have religion and spirituality without this. My current position on these things is simple: Some people need this, I need that, and it's OK. =D

It depends on religion, but some of the more strict religions think that anyone that doesn't embrace them burns in hell or something -- that puts you in a position with your friends and family... Do you want them to burn? Most certainly not (if you believe that is the case), and there the problem starts. It might actually be out of a place of kindness.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
You can have religion and spirituality without this. My current position on these things is simple: Some people need this, I need that, and it's OK. =D

It depends on religion, but some of the more strict religions think that anyone that doesn't embrace them burns in hell or something -- that puts you in a position with your friends and family... Do you want them to burn? Most certainly not (if you believe that is the case), and there the problem starts. It might actually be out of a place of kindness.

I've got a mate who believes both me (atheist) and his sister (lesbian) will burn. His point is 'That's what I believe, though. Honestly.'
I had to explain to him that neither I nor his sister are trying to change his belief. If that's what he thinks, then so be it. It's just hard for both of us to listen to him explain that his God is a God of love, and that he worships this being.

Belief doesn't strike me as the problem here.

Personally, I find the whole thing a little amusing, but his sister could really use some non-judgey support at times (she has suffered from MS since she was in her early 20s) so it does get a little sad.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I've got a mate who believes both me (atheist) and his sister (lesbian) will burn. His point is 'That's what I believe, though. Honestly.'
I had to explain to him that neither I nor his sister are trying to change his belief. If that's what he thinks, then so be it. It's just hard for both of us to listen to him explain that his God is a God of love, and that he worships this being.

Belief doesn't strike me as the problem here.

Personally, I find the whole thing a little amusing, but his sister could really use some non-judgey support at times (she has suffered from MS since she was in her early 20s) so it does get a little sad.

I mean the best argument to that is simply that since we have the freedom to understand the cosmology of the universe in our own subjective way then there must be more than one way to skin the cat. Any way pursued earnestly will probably lead to the same place, but people get caught up on names and books. None of that is important, of course...

And, those books are worth distancing with people for like never. You might not see the world as they do, and you might not accept what they accept... But, you don't have to and neither do they. It's only important if you make it so... If you truly follow the Christian beliefs then the only person qualified to make judgments is God, and you need to stay out of. :D