• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Controversy

t3gah

(http://www.infidels.org/library/historical/joseph_mccabe/religious_controversy/index.shtml)

Is this all bogus?

Cordoba

Hi:
I had a quick look at Chapter 25 "The Moorish Civililzation in Spain", as it's of personal interest, and most of what I read is true (not bogus).
Here is an extract:

Under Moorish Science and Litterature:
"Where in the world even in modern times will one find a ruler like Al Hakem II? Such was his passion for learning that he had collectors of books all over Spain and Europe, and in the end his private library contained at least four hundred thousand -- some writers say six hundred thousand -- manuscript books. The poetry of Arabia and Persia was supplemented by translations of the Greek and Roman poets. Plato and Aristotle and Euclid and all the classic writers were translated into Arabic. Prodigiously large works on medicine, geography, philosophy, astronomy, chemistry and history were written. And the contemporary historians would have us believe that Al Hakem knew well the contents of the whole half million books in his library! His commentaries were appreciated all over the world. Nor was he aristocratic in his intellectual life. He founded scores of new schools in Cordova and appointed his own brother the "Minister of Education" to see that all his people had opportunities for learning. ...

Higher education was even more liberally supported than elementary. There were eight hundred public schools in Cordova, and pupils came from the ends of the earth to study in them.

When I visited Cordoba some 18 years ago, I just loved it. A true center of learning, knowledge and civilization. Highly recommended visit when in Europe, also Granada.

All the best.