• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Conservatives During Jesus' Ministry

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Was jesus pro-conservative or left leaning?

I'd hope Jesus would be apolitical.
I don't imagine him being too concerned with human politics.
Course that won't stop people trying to categorize Jesus as one thing or the other.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Course that won't stop people trying to categorize Jesus as one thing or the other.
political views are just beliefs. again you can't promote tradition over the idea of love. what is freely given by god can't be hoarded and considered godly.

conserving isn't giving freely. if god were a conservative belief, then god would conserve and not give freely

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

More left. The dogmatic conservatives of his day took the letter of the law. Dogma over people. He chose the spirit of the law. People over dogma. I like the kickbutt welfare laws they had in the OT.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

In those days there was no separation of church and state. Caesars spoke for the gods.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
More left. The dogmatic conservatives of his day took the letter of the law. Dogma over people. He chose the spirit of the law. People over dogma. I like the kickbutt welfare laws they had in the OT.

yes the spirit of the law, golden rule, is love one another as you would want to be loved.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I guess it would all depend on your definition. I figure most all positions have some good in it if used with love.

jesus said you are not to lord over one another. we are to serve one another with love

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
political views are just beliefs. again you can't promote tradition over the idea of love. what is freely given by god can't be hoarded and considered godly.

conserving isn't giving freely. if god were a conservative belief, then god would conserve and not give freely

Matthew 22:21
"Caesar's," they answered. So Jesus told them, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's."

I always took this to mean that Christians should stay out of politics.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Matthew 22:21
"Caesar's," they answered. So Jesus told them, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's."

I always took this to mean that Christians should stay out of politics.

No, be respectful to political powers yes, but it does not say to stay out of politics.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Okay, this is really trying to make a square peg fit into a round hole, but here goes.

There were two schools of Pharisees. The followers of Shammai were stricter and more literal, what you might call more conservative. And then there were the followers of Hillel, who were more lenient--they tried to find ways to make it easier for Jews to obey the Torah.

With the one exception of his statement on divorce, Jesus' teachings were of bet Hllel, the less strict school. At the time of his ministry, the sanhedrin was ruled by bet Shammai, which explains why Jesus got into so many debates with them.