• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Advertising - research

discoblitz

One of Everyone
Hello, my names Tom and im conducting some research for my A Level Media Studies course, specifically advertising. my topic is about religious advertising and to find out peoples opinions on it and whether they have been affected by it in any way.

Please could you answer the two following questions. Anything you say will be used solely for my coursework and only seen by myself, my teacher and anybody else in this forum.

1. Do you agree that it is right to advertise religion with the purpose of converting people? For example, going to a foreign country and publicising your own religion has been very common throughout history and still is in modern society.

2. Are you practicing religion, such as attending a Christian Church Service on a sunday?

Thank you for answering my questions.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
1. No, I do not agree with it. I think it is fine to share the message of your religion with interested parties, but to actively try to convert others whether they want to hear it or not is inappropriate, imo.

2. Yes, Unitarian Universalist.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
1. Do you agree that it is right to advertise religion with the purpose of converting people? For example, going to a foreign country and publicising your own religion has been very common throughout history and still is in modern society.

2. Are you practicing religion, such as attending a Christian Church Service on a sunday?

Thank you for answering my questions.

1. I believe a religion should have just as much right to advertise as coca cola does.
2. No.

tikimuppet

1. I think that it's alright to advertise relgion on tv/billboards/in buses etc. But not if someone weirdo is stood in a street yelling that everyone will go to hell unless they join him.

2. I'm Christian, but I don't go to church

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
1) I may not appreciate it as to the methodology, but I hold no objections toward religious advertising as long as those differing in religious views are afforded the same opportunity to do the same if they so choose. -NM-

2) I practice, but not in a group environment or holding a formal affiliation. -NM-

discoblitz

One of Everyone
Thank you everyone who's done this so far, please let other people know about my work as not a lot of people are answering me back so far.

Thanks

ChrisP

Veteran Member
I think advertising, outside of word of mouth, is a general public nuisance. That said I believe Religion should have the right to advertise as any other organisation. The fact that it needs to sell itself says a lot about the attitude of the leaders of religion though. Leading by example is always the best way to show that you have the key way to live.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
No. I despise proselytization.

Yes, UU. I've only missed a handful of services in 2 years.

Zephyr

Moved on
Very no. Religions should remain with their folk. Universalist religions thrive only when folk religions die out.

Yup, sort of. I'm a pretty religious Asatruar, though the only real "services" I go to don't occur entirely often.