• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion99 vs Meow : Jainism vs Atheist : Soul and Body

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Well, as a general skeptic, however, the assertion isn't really mine to make: I don't assert that souls don't exist, just that I'm not familiar with any feasible evidence for their existence. It seems to me as though human existence is explained perfectly well with bodies (which includes brains).

religion99

Meow , if two independent things are spatially mixed with each other , how will you find out if there are in fact two independent things and not one?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Jainism says Soul exists and it is SEPARATE from Body.

Ok, but why should I believe that? Lots of people say different things. As far as I can tell, I don't need anything besides my body to exist as what I am.

Meow , if two independent things are spatially mixed with each other , how will you find out if there are in fact two independent things and not one?

By isolating one from the other.

religion99

What if one of the things is invisible? How will you know that "invisible thing" is isolated from "visible thing" when it is actually isolated?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
What if one of the things is invisible? How will you know that "invisible thing" is isolated from "visible thing" when it is actually isolated?

That's a good question -- how would you know? You're the one with the burden of evidence here.

Consider that I was trying to argue to you that there was an invisible dragon in my garage and you weren't convinced. I won't get very far until I start explaining to you how it's possible to know the dragon is there at all, right? The same applies here.

religion99

If you can find out some perceivable attribute of the invisible thing which is specific only to the invisible thing , then you can be sure that the invisible thing is gone when you stop perceiving that attribute in the formerly spatially mixed visible thing.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
If you can find out some perceivable attribute of the invisible thing which is specific only to the invisible thing , then you can be sure that the invisible thing is gone when you stop perceiving that attribute in the formerly spatially mixed visible thing.

Ok, and what sort of attribute might that be? What can be used to convince a skeptic of this thing's existence?

religion99

You are smart. You know the answer. Please use your perception , memory , recognition ability, inductive reasoning and deductive reasoning and tell me the answer. I am not including testimony here for obvious reasons.

religion99

Ok, and what sort of attribute might that be? What can be used to convince a skeptic of this thing's existence?

Special attribute of Soul(Invisible Dragon) is "Consciousness". Body(Room) is Matter and it doesn't have the "Consciousness" Attribute. Hence , once the Soul(Dragon) is gone(Death) , you cannot perceive Consciousness in the Body(Room) anymore.

Inorganic Matter and Organic Body can be converted into each other through chemical reactions and hence they are one and the same TYPE of THING (Matter) as far as Philosophy is concerned. A particular different TYPE of THING is defined by its Special Attributes.