• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion, self-help and mental illness

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Something I've wondered for a long time, and a recent thread brought the question to my mind again..

Do you feel that faith, or following a religion can be a form of "treatment" for mental illnesses, or should people seek medical treatment as well?
In the same vein, can religion provide the same benefits of a self-help program?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Joseph Campbell once said that the saint and the madman are in the same water, but the saint knows how to swim and the madman doesn't.

I think it is folly to try to treat mental and emotional disorders with religion. In fact, I view mental and emotional disorders as distractions and detours away from any genuine spirituality. Hence, I would urge anyone with an emotional or mental illness to seek professional help, rather than seek a religion.

evearael

I think it is folly to try to treat mental and emotional disorders with religion. In fact, I view mental and emotional disorders as distractions and detours away from any genuine spirituality. Hence, I would urge anyone with an emotional or mental illness to seek professional help, rather than seek a religion.
I tend to agree with Sunstone for the most part, though I feel that religion can certainly assist in the healing process by providing guidance and support.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
evearael said:
...I feel that religion can certainly assist in the healing process by providing guidance and support.

That's a good point, Evearael. I've known people who found guidance and support in religion. I just feel that in dealing with the challenge of a mental or emotional illness, professional help should be the primary means.

Hacker

MaddLlama said:
Something I've wondered for a long time, and a recent thread brought the question to my mind again..

Do you feel that faith, or following a religion can be a form of "treatment" for mental illnesses, or should people seek medical treatment as well?
In the same vein, can religion provide the same benefits of a self-help program?
I don't think a religion could compensate or even provide the same benefits of a self-help program. And when you speak of a "self-help" program, just what exactly do you mean? I understand the meaning but I was wondering if you could be more specific.

gnomon

I agree with Sunstone and evearael.

A self-help group composed of people who share the same experiences of dealing with a mental illness provides the greatest support to an individual than any religion or spiritual treatment can offer. Certainly, a person's religious belief may aid in recovery.

The idea of using religion as the only means of treating mental illness is dangerous in my opinion. Such a route relies on the concept of some higher power as the means to recovery. When an individual relapses, regardless of the mental illness, they tend to believe that is a failure on their part in meeting the standards of religious practice. Mental illnesses are not a problem of spiritual deficiency but are a physical problem.