• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion(s) of the founding fathers of the US

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
There's a lot of rhetoric from every side on this. Is there any proof, not just quotes, of who was and was not Christian/deist/etc?

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I think it's important to know what the truth is so that people don't use the names of the founding fathers to further their own causes.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
People who legitimately, or illegitimately, "use the names of the founding fathers to further their own causes" are engaging in argumentum ad verecundiam irrespective of the extent to which they adhere to or revise history. To argue the history simply gives credibility to a fallacious argument.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
And it doesn't make it any less irritating. ;) I'd like to see if anyone has any evidence one way or the other for what religion(s) the founding fathers did or didn't follow.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
My government swore up and down that the founding fathers were Christian, and the phrase "freedom of religion," actually only applies to the Christian religion. I would have argued that if it wouldn't have ment an automatic F in a required class.

Dayv

I have to agree with Deut, what does it matter? Just because the founders of our nation were or weren't Christian, don't you think we should be able to make our own decisions and figure out what true freedom is. I'm sure some of the founding fathers had slaves, but no one seems to be arguing that view.

cmotdibbler

Many of the hard core fundies imply that the religious beliefs of the founding fathers would approve of a fundamentalist agenda. For me, showing that many of the FF were deist or atheists is hugely important. Otherwise, I could care less what George Washington did with his Sundays. Blacks were considered three-fifths human and women could not vote, should we go back to that?

Ronald

Truth! Our founders were foe the most part, escaping mandatory religeon.
They said NO! to this in our constitution.
Some of our current generation, even though they deny it, would have us to all be Christian.
I am for keeping our freedom to chose. I personally chose "The Way".

JerryL

I have to agree with Deut, what does it matter? Just because the founders of our nation were or weren't Christian, don't you think we should be able to make our own decisions and figure out what true freedom is. I'm sure some of the founding fathers had slaves, but no one seems to be arguing that view.
Perhaps I'm biased, but I don't think it's the athiest camp that first raised this. I think that the Christians started asserting that we shouldn't take "under God" out of the pledge because that's how it was originally made (actualy, it was added in the 50s), and that non-Christians were destroying a nation founded on Christianity (which is the opposite of what the Treaty of Tripoli, signed by founding father and president Adams, said).