• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion-Based Terrorism: Shiva-Pennywise Bank

Abishai100

This is a mock-debate about religion-sponsored terrorism. The delegates are Shiva (the Hindu god of meditation) and Pennywise (the fictional demonic clown from the iconic Stephen King horror novel It).

The purpose of using these two 'folk mythos' avatars is to encourage open-ended pedestrian dialogue surrounding the incendiary issue of terrorism.

Fee free to comment on or add anything to whatever you like!

====

SHIVA: Let's look at terrorism in Ireland, from the first days of the IRA to the development of the IRA in separated Northern Ireland --- with very general brushstrokes.

PENNYWISE: Alright, Shiva, but be warned, I am suspicious you hold the preconceived notion that Northern Ireland IRA is more dangerous than the original (i.e., Michael Collins) IRA.

SHIVA: We'll see. I'm evaluating as we go along here. OK, so in my assessment, the IRA was a cultural reaction to the unwelcomed presence of British culture in Ireland as well as a religious reaction to the stifling Protestant presence in Catholic Ireland.

PENNYWISE: Agreed.

SHIVA: The promotion of Catholicism in a Protestantism dominated land was difficult given the economics and politics of British rule in Ireland. The Irish people were unhappy and felt the only practical way to deal with the claustrophobia (given any real lack of foreign aid) was to retaliate with violence (terrorism). However, since the establishment of the IRA (i.e., Michael Collins) the IRA has been criminalized.

PENNYWISE: Agreed. However, foreign aid has increased since the first days of the IRA, perhaps because of the influence of the UN or capitalism globalization (and the 'commercialization of culture'). Criminalization of the IRA, therefore, has been a result of unsatisfactory political attention to the demands of the Irish people.

SHIVA: The IRA has been defamed for targeting civilian locations in British locations such as London. This is ironic given that Catholicism is very popular in America.

PENNYWISE: Agreed. However, Irish Catholics living in America had little influence on globalization politics or US-Ireland relations during the first days of the IRA. This contributed to the division of Ireland.

SHIVA: Agreed. However, opportunities for lifestyle welfare for Irish Catholics living in America serves as evidence that there are ways for the Irish people to find happiness without resorting to violent terrorism. Terrorism has only served to criminalize even Sinn Fein.

PENNYWISE: Agreed. However, because it can be argued that capitalism globalization is what bridged America and Ireland since the first days of the IRA, many Northern Ireland Catholics still do not trust American politicians --- even Irish Catholic ones.

SHIVA: Agreed. However, if terrorism in Ireland and Northern Ireland can be observed through the lens of Protestant-Catholic tensions, then political relations between England and America are catalytic, and since the days of WWI, England-America relations have been generally positive and profitable.

PENNYWISE: And commercial. England-America ties were not so handsome before. America broke away from England (colonial times) but fails to empathize with Irish Catholic dissidents in Northern Ireland. England invaded America after independence and since then has re-established 'courtesies' and 'civilities' mostly based on trade and commerce. You can't use commerce-based politics to argue about religion-based terrorism.

SHIVA: Agreed. However, if commerce can forge bridges, there may be potential in resolving Protestant-Catholic tensions in Northern Ireland through commerce. I'm not saying Starbucks will replace the Vatican, but if trade encourages peaceful relations, then we can use commerce to approach the problem of religion-based terrorism (i.e., ISIS).

PENNYWISE: ISIS is doomed. Until America and the West build meaningful commerce contracts with OPEC, Middle Eastern terrorism will always be connected to post-WWII Israel. As per using commerce to ease Protestant-Catholic tensions in Northern Ireland, you need goods that appeal to the hearts of the Irish people. Where are these goods?

SHIVA: Like I said, Starbucks will not replace the Vatican as the fulcrum of civility, however, capitalism is not only profiteerism but also profit-sharing, so there must be a way to use commerce to diffuse the fire of religion-based terrorism criminalization. This may be the only way to please all sides. Maybe there are harvest-themed goods that appeal to farmers in Northern Ireland --- goods that can come from America and pass through authorities in England appeased by progressive capitalism-based (free market) contracts. How about boxed Irish sweet potatoes? You can already find such goods in American supermarkets today.

PENNYWISE: Agreed. This sort of frustrating politics is why I always appreciate anarchism, nihilism, and fire-and-brimstone!

====

ISIS

Shiva

Pennywise

shiva-pennywise.jpg

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Terrorism IS NOT about religion.
It IS about an excuse to murder the innocent.
It is not about politics.
It IS about an excuse to murder the innocent.