• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion and Spirituality

DustyFeet

पैर है| outlaw kosher care-bear | Tribe of Dan
A religion is a spiritual path put in to an organization.

so, i agree with u, with one tiny exception. so many people who identify as jews, don't believe and don't want to. they (IMHO) reject any spiritual path. but they still join the organization and in some situations, arguably, perform the ritual.

using my proposed definition, jewish people who attend **only** high holiday services and yet reject spirituality, are still, in a way, religious. but not spiritual.

thoughts?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
First of all i must add that i am not an expert on Jewish path :) But from what i have read Jews waiting for Jesus to come back, and can it be that they reject early teachings because they waiting for Jesus to come back to teach people today how to reach in to heaven?

A spiritual teacher like Jesus was born in to a Jewish family and was him self a Jew (as far as i understand) But out of his teachings Christianity rose and become Christian path. So in a way Christianity is not a path of Jesus but Jewism is? I am a Buddhist so i am on thin ice on this topic :)

DustyFeet

so it's a very interesting phenomenon looking at it from the outside or from a distance.

jewish people who don't believe and still identify themselves as "jews" still participate in "jewish" activities, they connect with it in a way that is not accessible to me, i can't even find words to describe it

i imagine for anyone else, beside a "jew" they would drop the label altogether and stop the practice altogether.

i'm so sheltered tho, if there are any other "faiths" or "labels" or "categories" out there that follow this odd combo of an atheist-who-still-identifies-and sometimes-practices, i would love to hear about it.

DustyFeet

I am a Buddhist so i am on thin ice on this topic

i am very much appreciating learning about Buddism on this forum. i can be a real "hot-head", and the simple act of learning about Buddism... it could be one of the most important things that will ever happen to me in my entire mortal life.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
DustyFeet, does it mean you are Jewish by family but does not believe in the teaching?

Feel free to ask about Buddhism :) If i can answer i will do so and try explaining why things are tought as they are in Buddhism to example Jewism :)