• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion and Blood

Hi there all.

I was wondering if anybody could give me some information about different religions and their relationship with blood. I am interested in beliefs either about blood or which involve blood in some form or another. This could be anything from merely mentioning it in scripture to acts of bloody sacrifice and ritual masochism.

Also, please feel free to share any of your thoughts on this topic. What is it about blood and its often association with holiness? How important a role can it play in religions?

I would be very grateful for any reply. Thank you for your insight.

Qymaen

Strange Paradox
Well the Aztecs built a rather large empire, especially by 15th and 16th century standards. Through their expansion they would take thousands upon thousands of people, whether civilian or warrior, and sacrifice them to their Gods, such as Huitzilopochtli. Now I am not familiar with the sacrificial procedures, but I do know that they would take an obsidian knife and carve the hearts out of their sacrifice's chest cavity.

For more information go here.
Human sacrifice in Aztec culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also here's something broader on human sacrifice.
Human sacrifice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Check out the old testament and the manner that Moses did apply it.
You would be surprised.
Blood sprinkled here ...there....one toe not the other....

But I for one, do not believe in blood sacrifice.
Scapegoating does not work.

rusra02

Premium Member
Hi there all.

I was wondering if anybody could give me some information about different religions and their relationship with blood. I am interested in beliefs either about blood or which involve blood in some form or another. This could be anything from merely mentioning it in scripture to acts of bloody sacrifice and ritual masochism.

Also, please feel free to share any of your thoughts on this topic. What is it about blood and its often association with holiness? How important a role can it play in religions?

To Jehovah, the God of the Bible, blood represents life and is sacred. Thus, early in man's history God gave the command that blood should not be eaten. "Only flesh with its soul-its blood-you must not eat. And besides that, your blood of your souls shall I ask back...Anyone shedding man's blood, by man will his own blood be shed, for in God's image he made man." (Genesis 9:4-6) This command, given to Noah, applies to all humans.
This command not to eat blood was repeated to the Israelites and later, to the Christian congregation. (Acts 15:28,29) Blood was to be used only as a sacrifice for sins. (Leviticus 4:27-31)
Jesus Christ provided his perfect human life and blood as a sacrifice to ransom all mankind from sin and death. (John 6:4,54,55) His death brought true forgiveness of sins and laid the basis for God to grant everlasting life to those exercising faith in that blood. (Ephesians 1:7, Romans 6:23)

Levite

Higher and Higher
Hi there all.

In Biblical Judaism, blood had something of a unique position, in that it generally conveyed ritual impurity, but on rare occasions, could be a vehicle of consecration, and in one circumstance, could even be a contributory to the conveyance of ritual purity.

Blood was thought to be the fluid in which life resided (which, I suppose it could be argued, is in a sense true): for this reason, we are prohibited to eat the blood of the animals we kill, since we may take the flesh of the animal to survive, but the life in essence always belongs to God, and cannot be taken into us. But spilled blood was deemed to produce ritual impurity. Thus, for example, women became ritually impure by menstruating, and had to purify themselves prior to entering the Temple or Mishkan (like a portable temple).

Yet the blood of sacrifices was flicked upon the sides of the altar in the Mishkan or the Temple, as a symbolic act of dedicating not only the flesh of the animal but the essence of its life to God as an offering. And when the priesthood was first initiated into service, sacrificial blood was daubed in several places upon the bodies of the priests.

And the ultimate ritual impurity-- contact with a dead body-- could only be purified by being sprinkled with a unique mixture of "living water" (that is, water from a naturally spring-fed lake or river, or collected rain water, or melted snow and ice), together with the ashes of a purely red heifer, which had been burned in its entirety-- intact, including all internal organs and blood (as was never done with sacrifices)-- in a fire together with branches of cedar and hyssop, and some strands of a certain fine crimson fabric.

In Rabbinic Judaism, which is the form of the religion actually practiced today, blood is a mostly of interest because we still keep kosher, and do not eat blood (meat must be salted, drained, and rinsed clean of salt in fresh water prior to cooking, to remove the blood). Some still practice the ritual of purification following menstruation, but this is really an unnecessary rite nowadays, because ritual impurity was only relevant while there was a Temple. As there has been no Temple for nearly two thousand years, and there is unlikely to be one any time soon, ritual purity and impurity is really a dead letter.

Nonetheless, the symbology of blood is often potent for us. The literature of the Tanakh sometimes uses it as a euphemism for the core of life, or for the spirit. The word for "blood" in Hebrew dahm is related to many other significant words, like the word for "human being," adahm, or a word for "earth," adamah, the word for "red," adohm, and the words for "tears," d'mah'ot, and for "silence," d'mahmah, and a word for "vision" or "mind's eye," dimyohn. And, of course, sometimes the symbology is fairly overt, such as blood being the first of the Ten Plagues with which God devastated the Egyptians at the time of the Exodus (the Nile and all waters in Egypt turned to blood).

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
In Hinduism (not all sects) , blood is considered inauspicious. Anyone with an open cut, and women during menses are strongly discouraged from attending temple.

There is a mystical boundary like a line ... so there is sort of an 'in here' and 'out there' physical set up to an agamic (not all temples are built according to agamas,but the custom would still be followed) temple.

So in the old days when blood sacrifice was more common, it was used to keep negative energy away. Animal sacrifice is still practiced in small pockets like Nepal, but is slowly losing out to more progressive measures. Limes sprinkled with red kumkum powder now do the trick instead.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Hi there all.

According to the bible, the blood is equivalent to the 'soul' This is because the blood is the 'lifeforce' of the living creature (man and animal) and God puts the lifeforce into each living creature so all living things become 'sacred' to God. Each living being (man or animal) belong to God.

Genesis 9:3 Every moving animal that is alive may serve as food for YOU. As in the case of green vegetation, I do give it all to YOU. 4 Only flesh with its soul—its blood—YOU must not eat. 5 And, besides that, YOUR blood of YOUR souls shall I ask back. From the hand of every living creature shall I ask it back; and from the hand of man, from the hand of each one who is his brother, shall I ask back the soul of man. 6 Anyone shedding man’s blood, by man will his own blood be shed, for in God’s image he made man.

Mankind are only different to the animals in that we were created in Gods own image with his attributes. For that reason, our blood (life) is more valuable then that of animals. If a person commits murder, they are in effect, assaulting God and that is why the penalty is death for a murderer.