• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

religion, a touchy subject

Scholar24

why do some people refuse to discuss the topic of religion? i find that religion is as touchy as politics...but why do people refuse to engage into religious arguements and debates? and why do people say it's personal when in fact your not arguing against the person really, but maybe you just disagree with their beliefs.

so why is religion such a sensitive subject?

logician

why do some people refuse to discuss the topic of religion? i find that religion is as touchy as politics...but why do people refuse to engage into religious arguements and debates? and why do people say it's personal when in fact your not arguing against the person really, but maybe you just disagree with their beliefs.

I think this is a legitimate question, often questioning the facts of some religion is taken to be questioning that person's beliefs, which really isn't the case, the 2 are separate issues.

.lava

Veteran Member

i am not one of 'some people'
i am all yours if you like to discuss Islam.

discussions might shaken the roots of beliefs, therefor, if one is misled or had lack of knowledge, he refuses to discuss.
or just because one made up his own religion in the name of the original one, a simple communication may turn into a personal thread, considered as an attack to his ego.

just a thought, i amnot sure, just saying this could be some reasons why.

Captain Civic

version 2.0
It's also dependant on how you approach the subject too. If during the discussion you go "it's so illogical to believe in what you do" people will take that as an insult. There's better ways to express yourself than that.

cardero

Citizen Mod

No one wants to relinquish their faith.

kai

ragamuffin
because they rarely have anything to argue or discuss than scripture, and answer your question with quotes from their own religious book as fact

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I think you may be asking the wrong crowd. I thought everyone was here because they liked to discuss religion.;) I don't want to discuss my faith if the person doesn't want to hear it. The only discussions that cause more arguments than religion is politics, I think that may be a reason don't like to discuss it.

wednesday

Jesus

People in general are afraid to have their beliefs challenged, or simply are more comfortable in discussing their religion without having their faith questioned. Also, its basically their word against yours, its not like proof or a resolution can be obtained by arguing over what someone does/does not believe in.
I find discussing the "rules and regulations"of religion interesting however.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Religion, like politics, and like child-rearing philosophies, are concepts that people see as a part of their identity. Many refrain from discussing - and especially debating - these concepts because they are concerned about their sense of identity challenged, and/or they are also concerned about insulting someone else's sense of identity.

And when one sees a current concept as a newfound and "now-permanent" belief (and therefore a part of a deeply-entrenched identity), it is very difficult emotionally to challenge said belief.

Peace,
Mystic

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The old adage is: Never discuss religion or politics. Interlocutors can't remain amicable when these subjects are raised.
Personally, I suspect your average Joe's grasp of politics and religion is tenuous at best, yet they figure strongly in his/her ego-identity. People realize, consciously or unconsciously, that they have no grasp of these subjects; that they are completely out of their depth in any serious political or religious discussion, yet they've got their egos and social identities pegged to them.
When you live in a house of straw you don't want people poking at your dwelling...

Intellectuals, on the other hand, know exactly why they believe as they do, and their greatest worry is that one of their opinions might be in error. They expect their friends to challenge their views at every opportunity.
Intelligent people are insulted when others fail to assist them in testing their opinions by failing to attack them at every opportunity.

Religion and politics are the best subjects for discussion,in
my opinion.