• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reflections on Sirach

Scott1

Sirach 2:
1. My son, when you come to serve the LORD, prepare yourself for trials.
2. Be sincere of heart and steadfast, undisturbed in time of adversity.

We are in service to the Lord as Christians... but so often today people are looking to better their "relationship" with the Lord. Service to the Lord has been reduced to something akin to "self-help"... as if Christianity was no more than a self-help course. The core of Christian faith is discipleship... mission... service to others. Our faith is not a dead faith, it is a faith of action. Not just a faith of prayer and personal growth, but a lived faith in service to others.

This passage in the Holy Scriptures reminds us that living the Christian life has its trials and that we must prepare ourselves to overcome the daily challenges in life. Unlike the secular view of preparation... which involves self-oriented, active effort... our preparation must be a denial of self. A submission to the grace of God. Only when we are sincere of heart in our devotion to the Lord, only when we trust in God's power..... only then will the Christian overcome adversity.

The Apostle Paul tought that "all who want to live religiously in Jesus Christ will be persucuted." (2 Tim 3:12).... it is the desire to "live religiously" that should stand out. To only have an internal faith... to only seek a personal relationship with Christ... is not what our faith is about. We must strive to live a life worthy of Christ. We can not let our faith be hidden... we must be that city on the hill that shines bright so all the world can see.... but how does one gain the strength needed to live a life like this?

Look at verse 13:
9. Woe to the faint of heart who trust not, who therefore will have no shelter!

When you think of shelter, what comes to mind? The first thing that comes to my mind is the traditional idea of a building... a roof over your head. We must trust in the Lord and not be faint of heart to be able to persevere... we must trust the one who the builders rejected but who became the cornerstone: Christ. Like any other physical structure, the Church - the building itself, if you will - can only provide shelter if one stays inside. We come inside the Church for shelter.... but in the Church we can get so much more. This "building", this "shelter" is where we receive the grace of God. We are Baptised, Confirmed, Married, our sins are forgiven.. we are spiritually nourished by the Blessed Sacrament. Instead of using our shelter to hide from "the elements", the evil in this world, we have a source of strength... of grace to live the Christian life.

In this, the year of the Eucharist, we all should endeavor to view the Church as our shelter... as our strength. We should view the Church as the Cenacle... the Upper Room which was the place of the first Eucharist, then of the first meeting with the Risen Lord, then the birth of the Church on Pentecost.

The fires of Pentecost are still burning in our Churches... and all these many years later, our "shelter" is kept warm by these flames.... draw near, and take comfort.

Peace in Christ,
Scott MacDonald

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
What can I say? It's beautiful, perfect. I've thought much on these things...

About 6 years ago, I started getting serious about Christianity, Really serious. I was getting serious, and trying to find others to "commune" with who were also serious. I thought I'd found them, my kindred souls, and don't get me wrong, they are great people! We did Bible studies, 3, 4 times a week, and that is a sacrifice. So they were following God in thier own way...but when opportunities came to do good, it seemed they explained them away. And I didn't say lecture them, but I just couldn't understand. They explained to me that, we aren't saved by good deeds, but by faith alone, so all we need do is believe in him, really, it's up to God to bring good from your life, because he is like the gardener and he will make you have fruit in due time.

But at the same time they were saying this, they were turning people away in need. And I say that not in a mean way, but as it is, and with a heavy heart.

I suppose the most painful example was the nursing home, with me not being able to drive, (er, at least not very safely) it was difficult to get people togethor, we needed someone who could transport others. I was hurt because, I thought they were just as in love with Christ, would jump at the chance to be loving and giving in his name, would welcome it!! Instead they would say how depressing it all was...how they "didn't have time". Yet they had time for Sunday lunches!

And, as Christians we love to call ourselves "saints" but what would it take to be humble, to be self-giving, to actually BE a saint? Sacrifice! Sacrifice and great love. To be filled with Love, you have to be IN love with Christ. To see him in every "depressing" weathered face you see. To love the image of God in others, is to love God! To dwell with him, not just in church, but everywhere. To do unto the least person, that which you would do unto Christ himself.

Then I started to notice something. We, all of us, were like group therapy in session. We gave, and got much in return! We ENJOYED praying and singing and gathering togethor, discussing the Bible. To me that was monumental good, and it is, very good. We should enjoy those things, But now, I feel the truest, deepest form of worship is sacrifice. Doing something you DON'T enjoy and that doesn't come naturally or easily. What about the widow who put in two coins, and Jesus said she had done more than any of them...she gave until it hurt, trusting all to God.

But I'm a hypocrite too, and I'm trying not to judge...and yet, I'm saying this because I WANT to do more. Like the song goes, if we are his body, why aren't his arms reaching? I'm not happy sitting back and praying for God to bless me like the prayer of Jabez (which we did study!). Why ask for water when your cup overflows? Why ask for more to eat while others go hungry?

When hard times come, do we know how to trust in God the way the widow did? Or are we just like the seeds planted among weeds, choked and killed by the cares of the world? Few of us would make the sacrifice to attend a Bible study every week, but even fewer would stand out in the cold and hand out flyers for someone else to come.

If we are just going to church to meet our friends and feel good about ourselves, how are we any different from someone who plays golf on Sunday instead? Christ is our counselor, but he's more than that, much more. To lead the Christian life, we need to SHOW him love. We need to BE his hands and feet. And in order to do this, it takes our sacrifice and His strength. In church we draw closer to God, that's why we really go, and He, in turn, draws closer to us.

I think about friendship, and how easy it is to say I love you to your friends and then forget to call. How in marriage, you can swear to die for someone but be too busy to do that little favor they asked. We have the chance now, to show Christ that we love him. Without action love is just a word. If we do his will, we show that we truly belong to him, and THEN, we have communion with God and each other. I think it may be true that, you can never really love Jesus until you love him in the face of trouble. Until you've learned to give of yourself to God, as well as to others, in his name.

Freely, you have recieved, freely GIVE!!

This may be off the subject. See, this is why I don't start talking Jesus, cause then I never stop!:p

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Thanks for those thoughts to Scott and Jonnys4life.
It is these thoughts that lead to action.

Terry

Scott1

johnnys4life said:
You wrote that??
You guys are making me blush.... thanks for the kind words.... I've started to put together Scripture "reflections" like this.... I'm not much of a writer, so they take forever to put together.... but your kind words make me want to try harder! :bounce

martha

Hello beloved. Your words are truly inspirational Scott. Good work!

I believe that when we serve our fellows we serve God. I don't think that the term "deny thyself", means that we should go around thinking that we should not be happy and so to speak think " Oh I have to serve the Lord so I should deny myself happiness." The Lord wants us to experience His pure joy and love. He wants us to share that joy of love for one another, just as He has shared it with us. He wants us to explain the hapiness we feel even when times are tough. This earthly existance is fleeting. We count on the promises of Christ to be manifested in the kingdom. The kingdom begins here. We are perhaps co creators of the kingdom whenever we give love without expectation of reward in this place.

If we are blessed with wealth and prosperity should we feel guilty? No! We should feel happiness that we have been given much and inspired because of the grace of God, to share our prosperity. In other words should we feel bad because we spent money on having a pool installed in the yard? Yes, perhaps we could have spent that money in a better way by helping the poor. On the other hand, we have a pool, so now let's share that pool with some kids in the neighborhood, by maybe sponsoring a pool night with those who don't have one. Maybe we could invite the senior citizens in the area to come for a swim. My point is, if you have much, then share much. If you have spent unwisely in the past, then utilize what you have gained to help others. The example of the pool is only one way that we can use our blessings to help others.

If we have a love for God and want to serve Him, I am sure we can find many ways to share our time, talents and resourses. In doing so we will gain that "personal relationship" with God. The closer we get to each other and the more we share with each other, the closer we will be to God.

God does not "inflict" trials upon His children. Life "inflicts"! God redeems, God comforts, God gives love, God will shape His children into His own image when we serve our fellows. He created us in His image and it is up to us to choose to follow the right thinking of the Creator.

For those of you who are in a service to humanity I say this; Never worry about the results of your efforts, but be true to you soul's calling in this life. In other words if you try and try to make a difference in a certain situation and it comes to naught, don't be discouraged. If you have given your best effort, God will be pleased, no matter what the outcome. Continue to do good and then give it to Him to work His wonders. Maybe five or ten years down the road you will see the fruits of your loving labors, so don't give up. If you plant a seed in His name, surely it will grow, eventually! Just let go and let God.

Blessings to you all,

Joyfully in Jesus,
Martha