• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Red seas crossing is argued to be due to "Tides" water

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Since I don't believe Moses existed as a historical figure or that the crossing was a historical event, no, not exactly.
Though I do think the oral tale probably originated from someone who was knowledgeable of the phenomenon.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Do you believe that theory?
Moses used knowledge of tides to ensure safe crossing for the Israelites | Daily Mail Online

Also. You know in the bible where it says "Sea was turned to blood" here is a video talking about red tides
Before all this, I would need a reason to believe that Moses actually existed and the the events described in Exodus actually happened.

Until that's done, it seems a bit pointless to me to look for explanations for these purported events.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
20200926_104729.jpg

Either way...I guess a believer will believe it was God's wisdom who suggested Moses the perfect timing of the sea tides.
But I guess the result is identical...

danieldemol

Premium Member
Whoever wrote the article is just playing semantic games.

A miracle is by definition;
'an extraordinary and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore attributed to a divine agency.
"the miracle of rising from the grave"' 1
1 https://g.co/kgs/uNMefQ

By comparison your article defines miracle as, 'Miracles are not seen in Islam as unnatural occurrences, but as natural phenomena that are concealed from human knowledge at that period of time.'

But natural phenomena are explainable by natural laws, even if the explanation is not currently known. So it seems like a misuse of the word miracle to apply it in a religious context to a natural event.

Additionally your article seems to apply this to the Virgin birth of Jesus. Which is odd because the Qur'an seems to imply that it was the result of divine intervention.

'The similitude of Jesus before Allah is as that of Adam; He created him from dust, then said to him: "Be". And he was.'

'She said: "O my Lord! How shall I have a son when no man hath touched me?" He said: "Even so: Allah createth what He willeth: When He hath decreed a plan, He but saith to it, 'Be,' and it is!'

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Whoever wrote the article is just playing semantic games.

A miracle is by definition;
'an extraordinary and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore attributed to a divine agency.
"the miracle of rising from the grave"' 1
1 https://g.co/kgs/uNMefQ

By comparison your article defines miracle as, 'Miracles are not seen in Islam as unnatural occurrences, but as natural phenomena that are concealed from human knowledge at that period of time.'

But natural phenomena are explainable by natural laws, even if the explanation is not currently known. So it seems like a misuse of the word miracle to apply it in a religious context to a natural event.

Additionally your article seems to apply this to the Virgin birth of Jesus. Which is odd because the Qur'an seems to imply that it was the result of divine intervention.

'The similitude of Jesus before Allah is as that of Adam; He created him from dust, then said to him: "Be". And he was.'

'She said: "O my Lord! How shall I have a son when no man hath touched me?" He said: "Even so: Allah createth what He willeth: When He hath decreed a plan, He but saith to it, 'Be,' and it is!'
" 'The similitude of Jesus before Allah is as that of Adam; He created him from dust, then said to him: "Be". And he was.' "

One may like to read my post #64 in another thread:

Evolution and a Muslim's perspective

[7:12] وَ لَقَدۡ خَلَقۡنٰکُمۡ ثُمَّ صَوَّرۡنٰکُمۡ ثُمَّ قُلۡنَا لِلۡمَلٰٓئِکَۃِ اسۡجُدُوۡا لِاٰدَمَ ٭ۖ فَسَجَدُوۡۤا اِلَّاۤ اِبۡلِیۡسَ ؕ لَمۡ یَکُنۡ مِّنَ السّٰجِدِیۡنَ ﴿۱۲﴾
And We did create you and then We gave you shape; then said We to the angels, ‘Submit to Adam;’ and they all submitted but Iblis did not; he would not be of those who submit.
The Holy Quran - Chapter: 7: Al-A`raf

There were humans, I truthfully understand from the above verse of Quran, before Adam. Right, please?

Regards

danieldemol

Premium Member
" 'The similitude of Jesus before Allah is as that of Adam; He created him from dust, then said to him: "Be". And he was.' "

One may like to read my post #64 in another thread:

Evolution and a Muslim's perspective

[7:12] وَ لَقَدۡ خَلَقۡنٰکُمۡ ثُمَّ صَوَّرۡنٰکُمۡ ثُمَّ قُلۡنَا لِلۡمَلٰٓئِکَۃِ اسۡجُدُوۡا لِاٰدَمَ ٭ۖ فَسَجَدُوۡۤا اِلَّاۤ اِبۡلِیۡسَ ؕ لَمۡ یَکُنۡ مِّنَ السّٰجِدِیۡنَ ﴿۱۲﴾
And We did create you and then We gave you shape; then said We to the angels, ‘Submit to Adam;’ and they all submitted but Iblis did not; he would not be of those who submit.
The Holy Quran - Chapter: 7: Al-A`raf

There were humans, I truthfully understand from the above verse of Quran, before Adam. Right, please?

Regards
Assuming the Quran says there were humans before Adam, what does this have to do with the point raised that the Quran appears to claim that the creation of Adam and Jesus were acts of divine intervention, and therefore by (proper) definition miraculous?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Assuming the Quran says there were humans before Adam, what does this have to do with the point raised that the Quran appears to claim that the creation of Adam and Jesus were acts of divine intervention, and therefore by (proper) definition miraculous?
I don't agree with one.
There was no divine intervention in case of Adam and or Jesus, I understand. Right, please?

Regards

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Does it really matter? Modern scholars have essentially debunked the Exodus story. The simplest answer is often the best. It never happened in the first place.