• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reconstructing names of Gods

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Note: for those not aware, a * in front of a word in a linguistic context indicates a hypothetical construction, i.e., a word that has no direct attestation but would probably have looked/been pronounced like this assuming all the rules thus far observed apply.

I thought it would be fun for those of us who are more linguistically inclined to throw out some potential names the Gods might have been called in older languages but which have no direct attestations (such as Tyr's unnamed wife, who may or may not be "Zisa/Cisa" or the "Germanic Isis" spoken of by Roman writers), or what the Gods might be called today had their worship not ceased.

I'm mostly inspired by Freya (with whom I'm getting closer all the time), having learned recently that Her name's cognate in Old English is the word "frowe" ("frua" in Old Saxon, all meaning "lady" in Modern English). Combined with the fact that, to make a long story short, Freya and Frigga likely used to be the same Goddess, and the likely connection between Frigga's name and the Proto-Germanic root-word (*frijaz) that became Modern English's "free" (but which also used to mean "beloved" in addition to the modern context), I've constructed this:

*Frowafree
as an English name for Frigga/Freya, who's name can also translate to that of the modern American archetype, "Lady Liberty", indicating Her free spirit. For the more linguistically-minded, the "a" is in there because according to Wiktionary, the gentive singular declension of the Old English "frowe" is "frowan".

While mostly for fun, it could also help provide potential names to Gods who've been forgotten.

EDIT: Oh, and as an aside, I've more or less decided that the modern archetype of Lady Luck is our Loki, even though the words are not likely related, because they both serve effectively the same function.

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
I started in learning Lady Frigga and Lady Freyja are completely separate entities.

While Lady Freyja is related with Liberty like the Greek Goddess Hera or Roman Libertus.

Moving on....

"The Frigga" tortured Odin ... He ultimately murdered her 3rd times.

When I started, "The Frigga" was a Witch, whom Odin first married and killed 3 times. He burned her alive the 3rd time and also burned down Valhalla the 3rd time.

I originally thought Freyja was a different Goddess, a Giantess, whom he gave a hall and she his Mistress. The second hall would take half the warriors that fell in battle.

But, that is all semantic when Odin burnt down Vallhall in the first place to kill the Frigga.

So if Freyja and Frigga are the same then I'm drawn at a stump in the story.

That's all I know. Frigga was a Norn... A fate.

I don't listen to Scandinavians for nothing....

Edit

My god, arguing such old religion. Even though I am convinced I can barely beg to hang in there.

Last edited:

EyeofOdin

Note: for those not aware, a * in front of a word in a linguistic context indicates a hypothetical construction, i.e., a word that has no direct attestation but would probably have looked/been pronounced like this assuming all the rules thus far observed apply.

I thought it would be fun for those of us who are more linguistically inclined to throw out some potential names the Gods might have been called in older languages but which have no direct attestations (such as Tyr's unnamed wife, who may or may not be "Zisa/Cisa" or the "Germanic Isis" spoken of by Roman writers), or what the Gods might be called today had their worship not ceased.

I'm mostly inspired by Freya (with whom I'm getting closer all the time), having learned recently that Her name's cognate in Old English is the word "frowe" ("frua" in Old Saxon, all meaning "lady" in Modern English). Combined with the fact that, to make a long story short, Freya and Frigga likely used to be the same Goddess, and the likely connection between Frigga's name and the Proto-Germanic root-word (*frijaz) that became Modern English's "free" (but which also used to mean "beloved" in addition to the modern context), I've constructed this:

*Frowafree
as an English name for Frigga/Freya, who's name can also translate to that of the modern American archetype, "Lady Liberty", indicating Her free spirit. For the more linguistically-minded, the "a" is in there because according to Wiktionary, the gentive singular declension of the Old English "frowe" is "frowan".

While mostly for fun, it could also help provide potential names to Gods who've been forgotten.

EDIT: Oh, and as an aside, I've more or less decided that the modern archetype of Lady Luck is our Loki, even though the words are not likely related, because they both serve effectively the same function.

I'm gonna give my input by simply naming the deities from PIE to Proto-Germanic to Saxon/Viking but for simplicity sake I'll leave out the Indo-European cognates.

Djews Phter- "Sky Father" lord of order, war, oaths and The Sky- Tiwaz- "God" of war, justice and the sky- Tiw/Tyr- "God" of war, justice and honor.

Prija Djewsona- "beloved wife of Djews" lady of love and motherhood- Frijjo- "beloved" of love and queenhood- Frige/Frigg- Allmother of love, the home and mothers.

Deghom and Koljos probably began as titles to Prija Djewsona

Deghom- "Earth" of fertility and the earth- Ertho- "earth" little change- Erth/ Jord- little change

Koljos- "coverer" of the netherworld, birth and winter- Haljo- little change- Hel- "underworld" embodiment of Death

Tonāros- "thunder" of storms, war and fertility- Thunraz- little change- Thunor/Thor- little change

Tonāros was called Ingwaz "fire" as lord of fire, fertility and weather (later Ing/Yngvi, adding sacral kingship) from PIE Xingwis. Also called Prijos, Fraujjaz and Frey ("beloved or lord")

Xaustra- "dawn/east/rising" of spring, the dawn, fertility, light and beauty- Austron- Little change- Eostre- little change

Also called "Prija", to compliment Prijos, lady of love and sex (Fraujjo, Freyja). Later she was called Disjungo "young goddess" (Idunna), as a lady of youth.

Xarjomen- "tribal unity" of body, spiritual, tribal and mental unity, order, magic and death- Ermunaz- "unified" lord of magic, knowledge, the tribe and death- Irmin/Jormun- little change

Xarjomen was also called Wodinaz, later Woden/Odin, possibly from Watinos, meaning "master of fury" as allfather and lord of war.

Leugjos "oath" (title to Xarjomen) lord of oaths, words and the crossroads- Leugjaz "lie" trickster of chaos and deceit- Loki- trickster giant of shape shifting, mischief, chaos and anti-conformity.

Mannos and Yemos- "Man and Twin" primordial Giants, mortal gods or men- German Mannus; Viking Ymir

I think that it's possible because of linguistics and recent mythological similarities that Frigg and Freyja might be at least related. I think it's just as likely that they have origins as different Proto-Germanic goddesses, being one's obviously more sexual and youthful and the other is more esoteric and maternal.

Reason I study academic reconstruction is because, although I use the commonly known anglicized Norse names like Odin, Thor instead of the reconstructions like Wodinaz or Thunraz for simplicity, my conceptualization of the gods is more similar to the Proto-Germanic reconstruction giving me a core pantheon being something like

Gods: Tyr, Odin, Thor and Frey
Goddesses: Frigg, Earth and Eostre

I think it's most likely most gods are epithets of these core deities (Odin likened to Loki and Heimdall, Eostre to Freyja and Eostre, etc).