• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

recommendations on mala?

Kapalika

Premium Member
My old mala I bought from some Tibetan monks a few years ago. It didn't have knots other than at the guru bead, and it served me well enough for 3+ years. It eventually broke, I fixed it, then it broke again.

So I've been looking to get one more traditional to my religion, a rudraksha mala. I've been looking on Amazon and other sites, but am not sure what to look for. Some of the cheaper and really authentic ones take a month+ for shipping, and the other most authentic ones with fast shipping are expensive.

Then I started to wonder, before I pay more for what I think is authenticity, what I should actually be looking for, for not just how authentic they are, but in terms of quality and sturdiness as I don't like to take off my malas so I always have them on hand.

So is there anything someone might recommend?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Then I started to wonder, before I pay more for what I think is authenticity, what I should actually be looking for, for not just how authentic they are, but in terms of quality and sturdiness as I don't like to take off my malas so I always have them on hand.
A 'mala' is always authentic, even if it is a plastic one. The important thing is what you do with it. 1. Don't pay more. 2. Look for a sturdy one. 3. Don't go for size of Rudraksha - Ferrari size or Lamborghini size. :D

ajay0

My old mala I bought from some Tibetan monks a few years ago. It didn't have knots other than at the guru bead, and it served me well enough for 3+ years. It eventually broke, I fixed it, then it broke again.

So I've been looking to get one more traditional to my religion, a rudraksha mala. I've been looking on Amazon and other sites, but am not sure what to look for. Some of the cheaper and really authentic ones take a month+ for shipping, and the other most authentic ones with fast shipping are expensive.

Wearing a genuine rudraksha mala is said to have health benefits as well along with spiritual ones.

Make sure you don't fall for dupes or fraud mala's. I have seen a couple of counterfeit cheap one's being sold .

If it is just for chanting purpose any rosary would do, even counterfeit.

The mala, genuine or artificial, given by a realized sage or saint however can be quite potent in themselves, and can be a greater aid to meditation or chanting.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I use a rudraksha mala from mini-mela. Not the big seeds, but the medium sized ones. So far so good. Malas : Minimela.com, Mini Mela Gift Shop

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I use a rudraksha mala from mini-mela. Not the big seeds, but the medium sized ones. So far so good. Malas : Minimela.com, Mini Mela Gift Shop
The first one has too big ridrakshas, some people would wear it. The second is too closely packed for wearing or for japa. The third is nice, good for wearing as well as japa, and it costs the least. Check at Amazon also. Kapalika, I suppose you can get rudraksha malas in markets where you stay. In Singapore even now?
There is one just for 2.50 USD at Amazon. They have a large collection.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The first one has too big ridrakshas, some people would wear it. The second is too closely packed for wearing or for japa. The third is nice, good for wearing as well as japa, and it costs the least. Check at Amazon also. Kapalika, I suppose you can get rudraksha malas in markets where you stay. In Singapore even now?
There is one just for 2.50 USD at Amazon. They have a large collection.
I use the second one, and it works really well for me. Malas and their use are personal choices. Hopefully Kapalika can find one she likes. I have experimented with a few, and settled on this one. Have you experimented? Does an atheist do japa?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well, I got a rudraksha mala as a heirloom from my grandfather (my wife uses it now). Small beads, once it had silver connectors. First consideration, a japa mala should be comfortable to the fingers.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Well, I got a rudraksha mala as a heirloom from my grandfather (my wife uses it now). Small beads, once it had silver connectors. First consideration, a japa mala should be comfortable to the fingers.
That's exactly why I like the one I use. I did have one connected by metal, but after a few too many rounds, it broke. I've had this one about 3 years I think.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I would say old craftmanship was better. My grandfather's mala lasted for decades and is still being used.