• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recommendation for Vegetarian Dishes

syoonsh

I am starting to think changing over to Vegetarian..Although if I become vegetarian, I have no idea of what dishes I have to prepare.....If you're vegetarian...would you please help me out? thx

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I mostly eat the same things I ate before becoming vegetarian: Beans, peas, rice, soups, etc. Just without the meat. :)

One of my favorite "easy meal" treats is a peanut butter + blackstrap molasses + tortilla wrap. Blackstrap molasses has lots of iron in it, and peanut butter has protein, so it's great for something that's sweet and nutritious.

I made a thread here about a great soup I got the recipe for.

If you really want a lot of vegetarian recipes, I'd reccommend subscribing to Vegetarian Times. They have lots of great stuff to try out, and it's where I get most of my new meal ideas.

If you have a really hard time getting away from meat, you might want to check out Morningstar and Quorn products. The "chik'n" that Morningstar makes is creepily like the real thing, and it's good for an occasional treat.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I recommend getting 2 or 3 vegetarian cookbooks, going through them and find recipes that have foods you like or recipes that just look good to you. You don't even have to purchase the cookbooks, your local library should have at least a couple vegetarian ones.
Other than that, think about what foods you like and you eating habits and plan dishes around that.

And like Jensa said, if you're having trouble getting away from using meat in your dishes, try an meat alternative and see how you like it. I'm not vegetarian, but I do make a lot of meatless dishes. I don't ever make chili or spaghetti sauce with meat anymore since the veggie meat crumbles are so good and simple.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
I just want to say... I am so touched by your desire to be vegetarians. I think it's a wonderful, honorable path to choose.

And it leaves even more hamburgers, kebab, and cevap for me. :D Xox

Yerda

Veteran Member
syoonsh said:
I am starting to think changing over to Vegetarian..Although if I become vegetarian, I have no idea of what dishes I have to prepare.....If you're vegetarian...would you please help me out? thx
Get yourself a vegetarian/vegan cookbook.

I was in the same boat as you a few years ago. Now look at me, I can make toast, sandwiches, toasted sandwiches...all sorts. :cool:

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
Go to Goveg.com and order the (Free) Vegetarian Starter Kit. Yes, it's a PETA website, but the starter kit is still a good beginners 'tool,' and the site also has recipes.

Other sites (for recipes and whatnot):

VegWeb.com
The Vegetarian Resource Group
VegSource
Vegetarian Times
In a Vegetarian Kitchen

You'll find all sorts of book recommendations.

A good starter is 'The New Becoming Vegetarian: The Essential Guide To A Healthy Vegetarian Diet.' I have this version of the book. The Shepherd's Pie recipe is to die for! :eat:

All the best,
Crystal

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Tigress said:
Go to Goveg.com and order the (Free) Vegetarian Starter Kit. Yes, it's a PETA website, but the starter kit is still a good beginners 'tool,' and the site also has recipes.

Other sites (for recipes and whatnot):

VegWeb.com
The Vegetarian Resource Group
VegSource
Vegetarian Times
In a Vegetarian Kitchen

You'll find all sorts of book recommendations.

A good starter is 'The New Becoming Vegetarian: The Essential Guide To A Healthy Vegetarian Diet.' I have this version of the book. The Shepherd's Pie recipe is to die for! :eat:

All the best,
Crystal
I'm going to look into this. I have often thought of becoming a vegetarian, but have just thought it would be such a pain. If you were to get just one of these cookbooks, which one would you choose?

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
syoonsh said:

My wife and I are vegetarian. I do the cooking though. Here's one of my favorite dishes. It's inspired by a dish of the same name at a restaurant in Seattle called "Cafe Flora". This isn't their recipe, it's just my attempt to recreate it. It is not vegan because it uses dairy products:

Oaxaca Tacos

5 medium white potatoes, peeled and boiled
milk
butter
1 spanish onion, finely diced
1 red and 1 yellow bell pepper, finely diced
3 cloves minced garlic
sprig of fresh rosemary, chopped
salt and black pepper
12 corn tortillas
1 1/2 cups shredded smoked cheddar cheese
1/3 cup of crumbled feta
3 cups of black beans either canned or cooked fresh, seasoned to taste with tabasco or crushed, dried cayenne pepper

Make mashed potatoes using the boiled potatoes, milk, butter and salt and black pepper to taste. Saute the onion, garlic and bell peppers until onion is translucent, add the rosemary and saute for another minute or two. Fold the sauted vegetables into the potatoes. Fill and roll the tortillas with the potato mixture as you would an enchilada and place the filled tortillas across the bottom of a lightly greased oblong glass baking dish. Sprinkle the smoked cheese over the top and place uncovered in a 375 degree oven for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with crumbled feta and serve "tacos" over a bed of the heated, spiced black beans.