• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Real Life" UU Humor

uu_sage

List or describe some services or events in congregational life that were funny, bizzare or something else not described here. I'll start first.

-At last year's church-wide retreat at Debeneville Pines we had a talent show on the first or second night (don't remember) but one of our resident poets and someone else in our congregation decided to come up and sing and perform their song. It was a song based on the life of one of his kids. So with that in mind the song was titled, "Where is My Underwear" What a riot of a song that was.

-During the Seder service/dinner this year we decided instead of doing a traditional Jewish ceremony we would include the ceremony with both UU and Jewish elements including the piece of matzo thats to be laid out for desert. When we got to that part of service the children are in search of the Matzo as are we so I decide to look under Rev. Sonya's box (she's a shorter lady and because of her height couldn't reach the pulpit so she has to bring a box to bring her to eye level with everyone else. She was also our interim minister) After searching in so many places some of us said, "We checked everywhere even under Sonya's box"

Near Rosh Hashanah we had David, one of our Jewnitarians lead the service and part of the service was blowing the shofar. Normally to blow the shofar you need to have plenty of experience to do so. David blows and works to no avail. He got a small sound out of it. Near the end of the service, David's father decides to blow to conclude the service he gets some awkward sounds but then he tries one more time and much to his surprise the shofar plays the chords from "Tequila".

Reactions: Ody

uumckk16

This isn't exactly an event but it was quite adorable.

During our Memorial Day service, our DRE was doing the For All Ages section. She was talking about how Memorial Day used to be called Decoration Day, and she asked the kids why they thought that was. One youngster immediately shouted out, "The Decoration of Independence?"

:D

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Not a service but I went camping with some church members a couple weeks ago. For dinner on Saturday night, we had all agreed to have a potluck and share food that night and make big meal together. That was a lot of fun, even though it took us forever to get the hamburgers to cook properly and my campfire veggies could have used another 20 minutes on the coals. But all in all it was great. While we were finishing our dinner, a couple passed by our camp walking their dog that looked a lot like a dog that belonged to one of the women in our group. Nutmeg (the dog, which is the sweetest dog ever), bounded out to meet this new friend and of course all of our kids went too. Well, I didn't hear what was said, but apparently it was something along the lines of "Nutmeg is a girl dog, what is your dog?" (this was our UU kids asking the couple), they responded, "Our dog is a girl too." Now apparently Nutmeg and this other dog were sniffing each other and doing what dogs do to get to know each other, and from what I was told it was my son who piped up with, "You know it's OK for 2 girls to love each other or two boys, they can get married if they love each other." At which point Nutmeg's owner rounded all the kids and her dog back up the camp and let the couple go on with their walk. :biglaugh: