• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rape

klubbhead024

I was just looking at the "no means no" thread and it got me thinking.
Is it to easy for a girl to accuse a guy of rape?

It seems that these days, everything rapes everything, but what I have been noticing is that more and more men are being accused with nothing more then the girls word. Personally, I think rape is a horrible thing, but shouldn't there be some burden of proof that the man did rape her?

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
There generally is some physical proof that a woman was raped, unless she was unconscious at the time. It has to do with the damage caused when the various muscles in a woman's pelvic region aren't relaxed during sex, which is generally considered to be a sign of rape.

klubbhead024

Djamila said:
There generally is some physical proof that a woman was raped, unless she was unconscious at the time. It has to do with the damage caused when the various muscles in a woman's pelvic region aren't relaxed during sex, which is generally considered to be a sign of rape.

Some have said that those same muscles can be damaged during rough sex as well.

twirlybirdy

But even if the girl isnt a virgin, there will most likely be bleeding, etc if it was rape, because it is so forced and yea.

wicca_woman

831...J&J
more often than not the woman will put up a hell of a fight and may have bit him or scatched him . sometimes a rape victim also has tears and such inside the vagina<<<(can i say that word here???) also , there are a lot more rapes every year than what are actually turned in . for instance , i never turned mine in . i was scared and i just wanted to take a shower and be with someone so that i could feel "safe" . even to this day i am a horrible insomniac , i have an easier time sleeping on a couch than a bed...

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
klubbhead024 said:
I was just looking at the "no means no" thread and it got me thinking.

It seems that these days, everything rapes everything, but what I have been noticing is that more and more men are being accused with nothing more then the girls word. Personally, I think rape is a horrible thing, but shouldn't there be some burden of proof that the man did rape her?

Yes, and this is the reason behind the development of the rape kit used in hospitals. From the almighty wikipedia:

Evidence collection in the United States
In the United States, a typical evidence collection process for sexual assault victims is:
  • A nurse explains the hospital's HIV testing procedure and why HIV testing is beneficial. The victim then decides whether or not to permit HIV testing. In many states, there is no charge to the victim for these services.
  • Routine blood collection is done (to check for pregnancy or sexually transmitted diseases).
  • The nurse documents any evidence of torn clothing or external injuries and takes photographs.
  • The victim's clothing is collected and new clothes are provided.
  • Any physical evidence from the rape scene (such as grass or leaves) is also collected.
  • Hairs are collected: the nurse collects any loose hairs or debris in the pelvic area (looking for pubic hairs of the assailant). In some cases, some of the victim's pubic hairs are needed and 15-20 of the victim's head hairs (to differentiate the victim's hairs from the assailant's).
  • Fingernail scrapings are collected for detection of blood or tissue.
  • The nurse then examines the victim's perineum, thighs, abdomen, buttocks and facial area for evidence of semen and, if detected, it is collected.
  • Several slides are made and swabs taken from the vaginal, anal, and oral areas to check for semen, sexually transmitted diseases, and infections.
  • The hospital provides the victim with any preventive medicine necessary (for tetanus, sexually transmitted diseases, pregnancy, etc.).
  • Medical personnel perform the pelvic exam. The victim may request to have the examination done by a person of the same gender.
The sexual assault kit is then sealed in a box and secured at the hospital until given to the police for further laboratory analysis. For the box to be used in criminal proceedings, it is vital that the chain of custody and the integrity of the kit is preserved.

In order for a good case to be presented in front of a jury, evidence must be present that a struggle occurred to show that the act was not consensual. Showing evidence of penetration, then presenting evidence that there was a struggle, and then finally showing evidence of the accused being the attacker, is what the courts insist on having in order to prosecute.

I disagree that rape is something easy that a woman can prove. I have not heard of cases where a woman simply shows up at a local precinct, points a finger at a man, says he raped her, and the officers cuff the guy. They need initial evidence in order to further investigate, so men are not arrested as a rule simply because "she said so."

The difficulty in proving a rape case is where many victims get stiffed. Many times, there simply isn't enough evidence to prove guilt. Too often, victims remove evidence out of shock or shame, take too long to report, or refuse to be examined in order to prepare a rape kit (it's incredibly invasive, and to a recent rape victim, it can be too much in such a shocked and vulnerable state).

I didn't report my ex after I was raped by him, but a very brave woman did after he raped her. She followed all the procedures that put him behind bars as well as getting a good attorney in order to seal the deal with a solid case. I can tell you from experience that it is NOT easy.

Peace,
Mystic

wicca_woman

831...J&J
MysticSang'ha said:
Yes, and this is the reason behind the development of the rape kit used in hospitals. From the almighty wikipedia:

Evidence collection in the United States
In the United States, a typical evidence collection process for sexual assault victims is:
  • A nurse explains the hospital's HIV testing procedure and why HIV testing is beneficial. The victim then decides whether or not to permit HIV testing. In many states, there is no charge to the victim for these services.
  • Routine blood collection is done (to check for pregnancy or sexually transmitted diseases).
  • The nurse documents any evidence of torn clothing or external injuries and takes photographs.
  • The victim's clothing is collected and new clothes are provided.
  • Any physical evidence from the rape scene (such as grass or leaves) is also collected.
  • Hairs are collected: the nurse collects any loose hairs or debris in the pelvic area (looking for pubic hairs of the assailant). In some cases, some of the victim's pubic hairs are needed and 15-20 of the victim's head hairs (to differentiate the victim's hairs from the assailant's).
  • Fingernail scrapings are collected for detection of blood or tissue.
  • The nurse then examines the victim's perineum, thighs, abdomen, buttocks and facial area for evidence of semen and, if detected, it is collected.
  • Several slides are made and swabs taken from the vaginal, anal, and oral areas to check for semen, sexually transmitted diseases, and infections.
  • The hospital provides the victim with any preventive medicine necessary (for tetanus, sexually transmitted diseases, pregnancy, etc.).
  • Medical personnel perform the pelvic exam. The victim may request to have the examination done by a person of the same gender.
The sexual assault kit is then sealed in a box and secured at the hospital until given to the police for further laboratory analysis. For the box to be used in criminal proceedings, it is vital that the chain of custody and the integrity of the kit is preserved.

In order for a good case to be presented in front of a jury, evidence must be present that a struggle occurred to show that the act was not consensual. Showing evidence of penetration, then presenting evidence that there was a struggle, and then finally showing evidence of the accused being the attacker, is what the courts insist on having in order to prosecute.

I disagree that rape is something easy that a woman can prove. I have not heard of cases where a woman simply shows up at a local precinct, points a finger at a man, says he raped her, and the officers cuff the guy. They need initial evidence in order to further investigate, so men are not arrested as a rule simply because "she said so."

The difficulty in proving a rape case is where many victims get stiffed. Many times, there simply isn't enough evidence to prove guilt. Too often, victims remove evidence out of shock or shame, take too long to report, or refuse to be examined in order to prepare a rape kit (it's incredibly invasive, and to a recent rape victim, it can be too much in such a shocked and vulnerable state).

I didn't report my ex after I was raped by him, but a very brave woman did after he raped her. She followed all the procedures that put him behind bars as well as getting a good attorney in order to seal the deal with a solid case. I can tell you from experience that it is NOT easy.
i disagree with the assumption that it is "easy" to accuse someone , it is difficult for us to even "believe" ourselves what just happened. much less going through everything the cops and hospital put you through . you have to relive all of it at least five more times THAT night and then court on top of that

well , at least someone turned him in...i was just 17 myself . i was scared and in terrible shock. i did not tell anyone for a while

Booko

Deviled Hen
klubbhead024 said:

Sure, it's easy to accuse. Try getting a conviction sometime. There's a reason so many women who are raped don't press charges. They know it isn't going anywhere.

Personally, I think rape is a horrible thing, but shouldn't there be some burden of proof that the man did rape her?

There already is. If there's no forensic evidence and no witnesses, good luck with that.