• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Race - Should It Be Ignored?

Nashitheki

Hollawitta
I just wonder how things are going to fly when those who use to be in charge become a minority here in America ?

dust1n

Zindīq
To say race doesn't exist, & then call it a phenotype is contradictory.
How would one identify a phenotype which doesn't exist?

'Race' is thought to be a difference between one phenotype and another, all unfounded, which might include 'barbric', 'unintelligent', you get the pic.

The phenotype does exist as empircally witnessed. How is race?

Don't include me in that knowingfulness, bub.
Racial politics exist because people identify themselves & others with certain races.

Perhaprs I won't.

Anthropology 101. There is a difference between the construction that is 'race' in the sense that it is made up entirely from a fiction and the effects of that FAKE construction upon REAL life. That makes the construction no less real. Myths can have more powerful effects than reality, though they are no more real.

Are you saying that Martin & Zimmerman are the same race, & differ only in skin hue?

Essentially. It would take an ignorant person to shoot someone in that short of circumstance regardless of skin color. I honestly couldn't speak much about Zimmerman's intentions and I don't know why you expect I would be able to. A senseless murder is a senseless murder.

Say whuh?

Just sayin... people believe and say all sorts of stuff. That doesn't validate its truth value.

Perhaps I'm just more observant.....it's a gift.

You see the fiction. Congrats. I hope one day you see the non-fiction.

Clear as mud.

I don't think we're going to agree on this.
I can tell white folk from black folk from Asian folk most of the time.
You can't tell any difference. So be it.
But I'd wager that most cops can discern race most of the time, & if this description is useful
in identifying someone being sought, then it ought to be mentioned in the description.

Right... there is no such thing as 'white folk' and 'black folk'. That's a color in front of the word folk. 'Asian' might imply anything from Russian to Afghani to Chinese. Asian isn't a race. Even Kathyrn should be ready to easily disprove your notion that 'race', even as 'self-identified', is so easy as to identify as an outsider with a few pictures.

If you speak of the skin hues as actual physical qualities which one may distinct, I'd take you more seriously on the issue. especially regarding identifying criminals. If you maintain that 'white', 'black' and 'Asian' are races, I'd suggest you look up what people identify themselves as when it comes to 'race' outside an ethnocentric American consensus. Or, in other words, 'white' isn't a race, 'black' isn't a race, 'Asian' isn't a race. The first two are colors... blurry ones at that, and Asian could be referring to 3 billion different people, all quite different.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
That's productive.

^ That's productive.

No, but seriously, is the amount of words in a post always going to signify "productivity" to the thread?? Well, of course not, and likewise sometimes concise answers are preferable.

Trust me, I feel the same way about many of your lengthy responses.

dust1n

Zindīq
^ That's productive.

No, but seriously, is the amount of words in a post always going to signify "productivity" to the thread?? Well, of course not, and likewise sometimes concise answers are preferable.

Concise words are perferable because they make something complicated like 'race' into a digestable, single-use item, kind of like a bar of soap you might find at a hotel bathroom.

Trust me, I feel the same way about many of your lengthy responses.

Trust me, I have no doubt you do.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
'Race' is thought to be a difference between one phenotype and another, all unfounded, which might include 'barbric', 'unintelligent', you get the pic.
The phenotype does exist as empircally witnessed. How is race?
magic_negro.jpg

The concept of race is widely understood.
One fella is white.
The other fella is black.
Now, this concept isn't "true" or perfect.....but it is at times useful.

A senseless murder is a senseless murder.
Murder? It hasn't been adjudicated yet. It could also be a different kind of tragic death.

Just sayin... people believe and say all sorts of stuff. That doesn't validate its truth value.
There is no "truth" here....only perspectives & opinions.

You see the fiction. Congrats. I hope one day you see the non-fiction.
I already see both.

Right... there is no such thing as 'white folk' and 'black folk'. That's a color in front of the word folk. 'Asian' might imply anything from Russian to Afghani to Chinese. Asian isn't a race. Even Kathyrn should be ready to easily disprove your notion that 'race', even as 'self-identified', is so easy as to identify as an outsider with a few pictures.
Kat recognizes that her family is multi-racial, which requires the recognition of the concept of race.

If you speak of the skin hues as actual physical qualities which one may distinct, I'd take you more seriously on the issue. especially regarding identifying criminals. If you maintain that 'white', 'black' and 'Asian' are races, I'd suggest you look up what people identify themselves as when it comes to 'race' outside an ethnocentric American consensus. Or, in other words, 'white' isn't a race, 'black' isn't a race, 'Asian' isn't a race. The first two are colors... blurry ones at that, and Asian could be referring to 3 billion different people, all quite different.
I like this definition from dictionary.com.....
Anthropology . a. any of the traditional divisions of humankind, the commonest being the caucasian, Mongoloid, and Negro, characterized by supposedly distinctive and universal physical characteristics: no longer in technical use.

b. an arbitrary classification of modern humans, sometimes, especially formerly, based on any or a combination of various physical characteristics, as skin color, facial form, or eye shape, and now frequently based on such genetic markers as blood groups.

c. a human population partially isolated reproductively from other populations, whose members share a greater degree of physical and genetic similarity with one another than with other humans.
Tis quite clear that no matter how strongly people will deny that it exists, the concept of race is there, & many people will neatly fit into one type or another. (And of course, many will be blurry.)

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
No. Were whites involved?
I don't even know which were the victims & which were the perps in the video.
Then my answer is that ignoring race is not much different than ignoring virginity in the description. It doesn't really add much that's significant.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Then my answer is that ignoring race is not much different than ignoring virginity in the description. It doesn't really add much that's significant.
Au contraire! .
One can examine an individual at a distance to discern race.
To determine virginity is far more up close & personal...nay, dang invasive!
That is just about the least cromulent analogy I've ever seen.

Neil P

Race matters more in America than any other country. This country is very unique in that way, because there are people here from all over the world. Other countries are much more homogenous.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I noticed in an article about a crime that police released descriptions of the perps being sought.
We know they're female & young, & we have detailed descriptions of their clothing & hair.
But race isn't mentioned at all. Wouldn't this be useful to know? But if it's wrong, then is it
also wrong to give accounts of their gender?

12 Girls Haul Teenagers Off Subway by Hair, Steal Cell Phone: Cops | NBC New York

Are we too politically correct about race?

In this context race might matter, as a means of productively pinpointing problem areas etc., however, besides a few practical reasons, such as physical descriptions, should race really matter? If race doesn't matter at work, or on t.v., or in sports, etc, then why should it matter here?
Well, the obvious answer is that it shouldn't, otherwise the whole idea just comes off as disingenuous.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In this context race might matter, as a means of productively pinpointing problem areas etc., however, besides a few practical reasons, such as physical descriptions, should race really matter? If race doesn't matter at work, or on t.v., or in sports, etc, then why should it matter here?
Well, the obvious answer is that it shouldn't, otherwise the whole idea just comes off as disingenuous.
If we say gender shouldn't matter in work or sports, then was it wrong for the police report to describe the perps as female?

Nashitheki

Hollawitta
Because, when you're trying to describe someone, the color of their skin is a useful descriptor? ;)

What about hair and eyes ? With all these tanning salons, I've seen white people darker than me and some of the African Americans I know.

But then again we're talking race and not skin color.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
What about hair and eyes ? With all these tanning salons, I've seen white people darker than me and some of the African Americans I know.

But then again we're talking race and not skin color.

I'm talking about skin color, which I suspect would be similarly politically charged. Not sure what Rev's views on that would be: simply changing the description in police reports from race to color of skin.

I similarly have no problem with using the color of hair and eyes in the description. Any useful descriptor, really, should be game.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm talking about skin color, which I suspect would be similarly politically charged. Not sure what Rev's views on that would be: simply changing the description in police reports from race to color of skin.
I'm OK with whatever works best to describe without misleading.

I similarly have no problem with using the color of hair and eyes in the description. Any useful descriptor, really, should be game.
Yup!