• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quotes from Famous Freethinkers

Thumper

Thank the gods I'm an atheist
"People cited violation of the First Amendment when a New Jersey school teacher asserted that evolution and the Big Bang are not scientific and that Noah's Ark carried dinosaurs.

This case is not about the need to separate church and state; it's about the need to separate ignorant, scientifically illiterate people from the ranks of teachers."

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

Last edited:

Thumper

Isn't it interesting that the Torah and most of the foundation of the Old Testament is considered to have been written about the same time as Aesop's Fables (620 - 564 BCE) .

Thumper

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. ~ Voltaire

It is impossible to begin to learn that which one thinks one already knows. ~ Epictetus

Thumper

“If you really believe in eternal bliss then why are you wearing a seat-belt?” ~ Doug Stanhope

Thumper

"We can have a democratic society or we can have the concentration of great wealth in the hands of the few. We cannot have both." -- Louis Brandeis, Supreme Court Justice from 1916-1939

Thumper

When I die, I want to go in my sleep the way my grandfather did ...

Not screaming in fear like the other people in his car.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Michio Kaku

It is often stated that of all the theories proposed in this century, the silliest is quantum theory. In fact, some say that the only thing that quantum theory has going for it is that it is unquestionably correct.
Michio Kaku

If at first an idea does not sound absurd, then there is no hope for it.
Albert Einstein

Bob the Unbeliever

"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance of which their civil as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purposes."

-Thomas Jefferson

Bob the Unbeliever

The following all pre-date the creation of the bible's 10 commandments. Interestingly enough.

"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself." – Confucius (c. 551–479 BCE)

"Regard your neighbor's gain as your own gain, and your neighbor's loss as your own loss." – Lao Tzu

Ancient Egyptian concept of Maat(c. 2040–1650 BCE): "Do to the doer to cause that he do thus to you."

"Avoid doing what you would blame others for doing." – Thales (c. 624 BC – c. 546 BCE)

"Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful." - Siddhartha Gautama,(c. 563-483 BCE)

Bob the Unbeliever

“The atheist does not say “there is no God,” but he says “I know not what you mean by God; I am without idea of God; the word ‘God’ is to me a sound conveying no clear or distinct affirmation.... The Bible God I deny; the Christian God I disbelieve in; but I am not rash enough to say there is no God as long as you tell me you are unprepared to define God to me.”

~ Charles Bradlaugh

Bob the Unbeliever

“And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence.”

~ Bertrand Russell