• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quotes about the Bible

usfan

Pro or con.. what are some of the things said about this book, that has been printed, translated, read, sold, studied, loved and hated, more than any other book, in the history of humanity?

"The BIBLE holds up before us ideals that are within sight of the weakest and the lowliest, and yet so high that the best and the noblest are kept with their faces turned ever upward. It carries the call of the Saviour to the remotest corners of the earth; on its pages are written the assurances of the present and our hopes for the future" ~William Jennings Bryan

"For more than a thousand years the BIBLE, collectively taken, has gone hand in hand with civilization, science, law --in short, with the moral and intellectual cultivation of the species, always supporting and often leading the way. ~Samuel Taylor Coleridge

"It is impossible to mentally or socially enslave a BIBLE reading people. The principles of
The BIBLE are the groundwork of human freedom
" ~Horace Greeley

The BIBLE has been the Magna Charta of the poor and oppressed. The human race is not in position to dispense with it" ~Thomas Huxley

"The BIBLE is the Rock upon which this Republic rests" ~Andrew Jackson

"The existence of the BIBLE, as a book for the people, is the greatest benefit which the human race has ever experienced. Every attempt to belittle it is a crime against humanity" ~Immanuel Kant

No man, educated or uneducated, can afford to be ignorant of the BIBLE" ~Theodore Roosevelt

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Pro or con.. what are some of the things said about this book, that has been printed, translated, read, sold, studied, loved and hated, more than any other book, in the history of humanity?
Its not a single book. That ought to be made clear to all and especially to children. It was never a single book, and it will never be a single book.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
“It is from the bible that man has learned cruelty, rapine, and murder; for the belief of a cruel God makes a cruel man...One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.” - Thomas Paine

Workman

UNIQUE

"The BIBLE holds up before us ideals that are within sight of the weakest and the lowliest, and yet so high that the best and the noblest are kept with their faces turned ever upward. It carries the call of the Saviour to the remotest corners of the earth; on its pages are written the assurances of the present and our hopes for the future" ~William Jennings Bryan

"For more than a thousand years the BIBLE, collectively taken, has gone hand in hand with civilization, science, law --in short, with the moral and intellectual cultivation of the species, always supporting and often leading the way. ~Samuel Taylor Coleridge

"It is impossible to mentally or socially enslave a BIBLE reading people. The principles of
The BIBLE are the groundwork of human freedom
" ~Horace Greeley

The BIBLE has been the Magna Charta of the poor and oppressed. The human race is not in position to dispense with it" ~Thomas Huxley

"The BIBLE is the Rock upon which this Republic rests" ~Andrew Jackson

"The existence of the BIBLE, as a book for the people, is the greatest benefit which the human race has ever experienced. Every attempt to belittle it is a crime against humanity" ~Immanuel Kant

No man, educated or uneducated, can afford to be ignorant of the BIBLE" ~Theodore Roosevelt

I believe the bible uses codes in their wordings..if I may share an understanding of a small quote to explain.

(In the) (beginning) (God created) (the Heaven) (and the Earth.)

I’ve bracketed what I believe are codes of a different angling of understanding. Starting firstly with:

(IN THE)
is referred to ALL meanings and purposes of existence of being ONE WHOLE..Including yourself as ONE.
Example..our insides(inner self) is the make of our personality...this is its (IN)side..SELF.
for our personality cannot express the it[self] without a vessel..
Which be of (THE) human Body.
For it is of..(THE) Body that [being]s from its (IN)Ner self...through to being of their image. To round it up..

(IN THE) means or creation of its WHOLE of ONE. (Oneself)

(BEGINNING)
A beginnings reason is for its purpose at the end. This is caused from TIME! and time itself is for its enemy DEATH! For it is NOT Perfect by having in it a dead line.
Where there is perfect, there is no beginning nor ending..Timeless is THE absolute infinite.
(Beginning) this would be our curse
And the meaning of being trapped by time. Is to find our purpose of living by of beliefs.

(GOD CREATED)
There is one thing one must understand..God is God, for God created the all. And GOD has gifted man a Soul..this soul is Godly, this was Gods mention in our failure of usage through choices.
For Man themselves can do or make any free choice they want in life for themselves..this is a like Of Godly way of living..we have been gifted free-will..so pretty much it has given us the will of Being our own Gods.

For all that were given a soul must create in yourself through your choices of believing..and from your choices will prove it to your self with your loyalty.. and If you believe in God then your choices will favour you it’s (Created the Heaven) will be gifted on your earnest in being True and loyalty in God.
But if you don’t believe In a God,
Therefore making choices of
Becoming your own God to a place on earths own living for..
You are also creating yourselves to be of dust on (And the earth).

So to sum all this up!..

“In the beginning God created the Heaven and the earth.”

in short answer:
And of all whom are to be or to being for..God has casted Time for your ending, and by your own beliefs of whom believing for will divide by itself(yourselves) own decisions of separation in a God, for judgement Will determined by your choicest of your created earnest in for the Heaven or the Earth.

I can’t say to you of this is the truth, But I can definitely believe in God giving me an understanding of truth to this.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member

When one reads Bibles, one is less surprised at what the Deity knows than at what He doesn't know.---
Mark Twain

No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says: He is always convinced that it says what he means. ---George Bernard Shaw

The two Testaments are interesting, each in its own way. The Old one gives us a picture of these people's Deity as he was before he got religion, the other one gives us a picture of him as he appeared afterward.---Mark Twain

The Holy Book of the living God suffers more from its exponents today than from its opponents. ---Leonard Ravenhill

The Bible is a book that has been read more and examined less than any book that ever existed. ---Thomas Paine

It is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
---Mark Twain

In most parts of the Bible, everything is implicitly or explicitly introduced with "Thus saith the Lord". It is... not merely a sacred book but a book so remorselessly and continuously sacred that it does not invite -- it excludes or repels -- the merely aesthetic approach. You can read it as literature only by a tour de force... It demands incessantly to be taken on its own terms: it will not continue to give literary delight very long, except to those who go to it for something quite different. I predict that it will in the future be read, as it always has been read, almost exclusively by Christians. ---C.S. Lewis

Each epoch has found in the Gospels what it sought to find there, and has overlooked what it wished to overlook. --- Ludwig von Mises

Most people are bothered by those passages of Scripture they do not understand, but the passages that bother me are those I do understand.
---Mark Twain

james dixon

Premium Member
It is not going to get explained.

This seems pretty self-explanatory to me—

Ezekiel

1 And the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,

2 Son of man, set thy face toward Jerusalem, and drop thy word toward the holy places, and prophesy against the land of Israel,

3 And say to the land of Israel, Thus saith the LORD; Behold, I am against thee, and will draw forth my sword out of his sheath, and will cut off from thee the righteous and the wicked.

4 Seeing then that I will cut off from thee the righteous and the wicked, therefore shall my sword go forth out of his sheath against all flesh from the south to the north:

7 And it shall be, when they say unto thee, Wherefore sighest thou? that thou shalt answer, For the tidings; because it cometh: and every heart shall melt, and all hands shall be feeble, and every spirit shall faint, and all knees shall be weak as water: behold, it cometh, and shall be brought to pass, saith the Lord GOD.

9 Son of man, prophesy, and say, Thus saith the LORD; Say, A sword, a sword is sharpened, and also furbished:

12 Cry and howl, son of man: for it shall be upon my people, it shall be upon all the princes of Israel: terrors by reason of the sword shall be upon my people: smite therefore upon thy thigh.

13 Because it is a trial, and what if the sword contemn even the rod? it shall be no more, saith the Lord GOD.

17 I will also smite mine hands together, and I will cause my fury to rest: I the LORD have said it.

20 Appoint a way, that the sword may come to Rabbath of the Ammonites, and to Judah in Jerusalem the defenced.

24 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Because ye have made your iniquity to be remembered, in that your transgressions are discovered, so that in all your doings your sins do appear; because, I say, that ye are come to remembrance, ye shall be taken with the hand.

25 And thou, profane wicked prince of Israel, whose day is come, when iniquity shall have an end,

27 I will overturn, overturn, overturn, it: and it shall be no more, until he come whose right it is; and I will give it him.

29 Whiles they see vanity unto thee, whiles they divine a lie unto thee, to bring thee upon the necks of them that are slain, of the wicked, whose day is come, when their iniquity shall have an end.

30 Shall I cause it to return into his sheath? I will judge thee in the place where thou wast created, in the land of thy nativity.

31 And I will pour out mine indignation upon thee, I will blow against thee in the fire of my wrath, and deliver thee into the hand of brutish men, and skilful to destroy.

32 Thou shalt be for fuel to the fire; thy blood shall be in the midst of the land; thou shalt be no more remembered: for I the LORD have spoken it.

The End
:)-