• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

quote from Buddha

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Yes, even the Buddha.

Therefore, O Ananda, be lamps unto yourselfves. Betake yourselves to no external refuge. Hold fast as a refuge to the Truth. Work out your own salvation with diligence.

A

angellous_evangellous

Let's just pass the beer and be happy. If it makes you warm and fuzzy, then you must be self-actualizing some form of subjective personal truth.

My meditations on believe what you want:

Use the force, Luke.

How far does the rabbit-hole go?

I finally had a genuine experience with the IPU. :eek:

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
This can also be translated as "Believe in the Law and not persons."

Mossburg32908 said:
I think this means that just because I said it doesn't mean its true, believe what you want
This means that even if a respected teacher says it, and it doesn't fit with the Law of causality, or the Three Seals of the Dharma, then it is not Buddhism. It doesn't mean to believe whatever one wants; how could one possibly grow and progress on the Path that way? It does, however, put the responsibility for that growth on the individual. One cannot blame one's teacher if one learns incorrectly, or not at all.

anders

Engyo said:
This can also be translated as "Believe in the Law and not persons."

This means that even if a respected teacher says it, and it doesn't fit with the Law of causality, or the Three Seals of the Dharma, then it is not Buddhism. It doesn't mean to believe whatever one wants; how could one possibly grow and progress on the Path that way? It does, however, put the responsibility for that growth on the individual. One cannot blame one's teacher if one learns incorrectly, or not at all.
Thanks for saving me some typing. I'll just add that if it doesn't fit reality, reject it.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Natural Submission said:
Do not believe what your teacher tells you merely out of respect for the teacher. -Buddha
It makes perfect sense in that you must learn your own lessons in life. There is no 'easy shortcut' to knowledge and experience. Experience has little value if it is second hand.:)

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Natural Submission said:
Do not believe what your teacher tells you merely out of respect for the teacher. -Buddha
That's from the Kalama sutta:

The Buddha once visited a small town called Kesaputta in the kingdom of Kosala. The inhabitants of this town were known by the common name Kalama. When they heard that the Buddha was in their town, the Kalamas paid him a visit, and told him:

"Sir, there are some recluses and brahmanas who visit Kesaputta. They explain and illumine only their own doctrines, and despise, condemn and spurn others' doctrines. Then come other recluses and brahmanas, and they, too, in their turn, explain and illumine only their own doctrines, and despise and condemn and spurn others' doctrines. But, for us, Sir, we have always doubt and perplexity as to who among these venerable recluses and brahmanas spoke the truth and who spoke falsehood."

The Buddha replied:

"Yes, Kalamas, it is proper that you have doubt, that you have perplexity, for a doubt has arisen in a matter which is doubtful. Now, look you Kalamas, do not be led by reports, or tradition, or hearsay. Be not led by the authority of religious texts, nor by mere logic or inference, nor by considering appearances, nor by the delight in speculative opinions, nor by seeming possibilities, nor by the idea; 'this is our teacher'. But, O Kalamas, when you know for youselves that certain things are unwholesome (akusala), and wrong, and bad, then give them up ... And when you know for youselves that certain things are wholesome (kusala) and good, then accept them and follow them."

uu_sage

The Kalama Sutta was very stirring and direct. Thanks, lilithu. I've been looking for new material for our Buddhist group. We are now reading Heart of the Buddha's Teaching. Thich Nhat Hanh takes all that's great from all schools of thought and combines them into one accessible, thought provoking volume. The Kalama Sutta reminds me of the one other saying by Buddha summarizing this allegory, "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense"

uu_sage

There is a story about a princess who had a small eye problem that she felt was really bad. Being the king's daughter, she was rather spoiled and kept crying all the time. When the doctors wanted to apply medicine, she would invariably refuse any medical treatment and kept touching the sore spot on her eye. In this way it became worse and worse, until finally the king proclaimed a large reward for whoever could cure his daughter. After some time, a man arrived who claimed to be a famous physician, but actually was not even a doctor.
He declared that he could definitely cure the princess and was admitted to her chamber. After he had examined her, he exclaimed, "Oh, I'm so sorry!" "What is it?" the princess inquired. The doctor said, "There is nothing much wrong with your eye, but there is something else that is really serious." The princess was alarmed and asked, "What on earth is so serious?" He hesitated and said, "It is really bad. I shouldn't tell you about it." No matter how much she insisted, he refused to tell her, saying that he could not speak without the king's permission.
When the king arrived, the doctor was still reluctant to reveal his findings. Finally the king commanded, "Tell us what is wrong. Whatever it is, you have to tell us!" At last the doctor said, "Well, the eye will get better within a few days - that is no problem. The big problem is that the princess will grow a tail, which will become at least nine fathoms long. It may start growing very soon. If she can detect the first moment it appears, I might be able to prevent it from growing." At this news everyone was deeply concerned. And the princess, what did she do? She stayed in bed, day and night, directing all her attention to detecting when the tail might appear. Thus, after a few days, her eye got well.
This shows how we usually react. We focus on our little problem and it becomes the center around which everything else revolves. So far, we have done this repeatedly, life after life. We think, "My wishes, my interests, my likes and dislikes come first!" As long as we function on this basis, we will remain unchanged. Driven by impulses of desire and rejection, we will travel the roads of samsara without finding a way out. As long as attachment and aversion are our sources of living and drive us onward, we cannot rest.
-Daring Steps toward Fearlessness: The Three Vehicles of Buddhism, by Ringu Tulku Rinpoché

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
uu_sage said:
The Kalama Sutta was very stirring and direct. Thanks, lilithu. I've been looking for new material for our Buddhist group. We are now reading Heart of the Buddha's Teaching. Thich Nhat Hanh takes all that's great from all schools of thought and combines them into one accessible, thought provoking volume. The Kalama Sutta reminds me of the one other saying by Buddha summarizing this allegory, "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense"
UUSage -

Being located in California, you have a wealth of opportunity - have you considered inviting teachers from some of the different Buddhist traditions to speak?