• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quick question about Islam...

evearael

I've noticed while researching Islam that it is common practice when referring to the Prophet, to follow it with Peace Be Upon Him. However, I have yet to notice any common blessing following Allah. Why is that?

(Also, any good books to read up on the subject would be most welcome :), in English or Arabic since I've decided to pick that up next...)

Judgement Day

evearael said:
I've noticed while researching Islam that it is common practice when referring to the Prophet, to follow it with Peace Be Upon Him. However, I have yet to notice any common blessing following Allah. Why is that?

(Also, any good books to read up on the subject would be most welcome :), in English or Arabic since I've decided to pick that up next...)
Hi Evearael (I had trouble spelling your name there, messed up the a's and the e's :)),

Its probably more suitable if you post this type of question in the Islam forum, maybe you would get answers more quickly. As to answering your question, Muslims do practice the blessing following Allah, which is Subhanahu Wata'alla which is commonly abbreviated 'swt'. But it is not required. The blessing 'pbuh' is also not required. Both blessing words are recommended(swt and pbuh). Do you want a book or an article? And on what subject, the Prophet? Allah? or about the blessings?

Popeyesays

Moses the God Archetype* said:
Then what is he?:confused:
God is "HE" in English because of classic grammar determined centuries ago. Other languages have different rules of grammar and in some languages God is neither male or female in grammar. To assign God "gender" is a bit silly otherwise, isn't it?

Regards,
Scott

evearael

Judgement Day... Thank you for your reply. I tend to prefer books over articles, and primary and secondary sources over tertiary ones. I tend to favor reading up on what a religion actually indicates before reading up on modern interpretations or mis-interpretations. I think that is especially important in modern times, considering the atrocities, like the Inquisition or the Salem Witch Trials, committed in the name of so many religions which are completely at odds with their holy books. I get really upset at anyone condemning an entire group for the actions of a misguided or vocal few, so I would be grateful for any source that would illuminate and do justice to your faith, rather than the hearsay that abounds.

Judgement Day

Hi Evearael,

There are a lot of good books about Islam, maybe you can get a recommendation from an Imam from a local mosque near you :)?

Popeyesays

Judgement Day said:
Hi Evearael,

There are a lot of good books about Islam, maybe you can get a recommendation from an Imam from a local mosque near you :)?
I would recommend to him, Muhammad and the Course of Islam, by Hassan M. Balyuzi. If you want it for free digitally it is available in the download of the Ocean Religious Resource Library along with many other scriptures and commentary for many religions.

Regards,
Scott

flysky

evearael said:
Judgement Day... Thank you for your reply. I tend to prefer books over articles, and primary and secondary sources over tertiary ones. I tend to favor reading up on what a religion actually indicates before reading up on modern interpretations or mis-interpretations. I think that is especially important in modern times, considering the atrocities, like the Inquisition or the Salem Witch Trials, committed in the name of so many religions which are completely at odds with their holy books. I get really upset at anyone condemning an entire group for the actions of a misguided or vocal few, so I would be grateful for any source that would illuminate and do justice to your faith, rather than the hearsay that abounds.
Evearael, Its really hard for me to recommend you which book you are looking for, but I would like to know if you have read the Holy Quran? If you haven't read it, I would highly recommend you read that. Let me know. Also their is Introduction to Islam book called "A Brief illustrated guide to understanding Islam" you can also vist the site
www.islam-guide.com/