• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions about the lord.

turk179

I smell something....
dawny0826 said:
I wouldn't consider the prophet credible at all if he or she was preaching biblical inconsistencies.

And when I doubt anything that is religious/spiritual in nature...I take it to Christ in prayer. I pray for spiritual confirmation.
From your perspective, that makes sense. Thanks:).

JesusIsGod

Sorry turk179..... Let me rephrase what I have said. God is perfect. There is no need for a perfect God to change His mind. If a person would say that God is changing His mind then I feel that person is trying to manipulate the Word of God to their personal liking. To be more direct.... No it is not possible for God to change His mind; for God is perfect, there would be no need to change. For what purpose is there to change something that is perfect?

So you are saying that we will not know any new revelations by God until Jesus comes back and tells us there is something new? Why do we have to wait so long for something new?
What revelation are you seeking that has not been already revealed to us? The purpose of Jesus Christ returning is not to reveal anything new, but to rapture His church before tribulation.

Karl R

turk179 said:
Can God change its mind?
JesusIsGod said:
God is perfect. There is no need for a perfect God to change His mind.
God can change his/her mind.

Read Genesis 18:16-33
In this passage, Abraham barters with god over the fate of Sodom and Gommorah, and god relents to Abraham's point of view.

Based on this passage, it appears that god can be flexible. Our prayers to god can change her/his mind.

turk179 said:
If it can, how would we know?
Now that's the hard question.

In religion I see some universal truths: "Love others," is the greatest one I've seen. I don't think it is subject to change.

Outside the universal truths, I see some truths that apply to a particular culture at a particular place and time. Those do change.

How do we discern between the two? Very carefully ... and I don't have a better answer than that. It's a difficult path to walk.

When drawing analogies, about the only thing that approaches god on such an immense scale is the universe. It's huge, it's old, and it lasts for a very long time. The universe is constantly changing, on a close-up level. But if you look at the universe overall, it changes at an extremely slow pace.

God might be like that. Constantly changing in some ways, constant and unswerving in others.

ashai

turk179 said:
I had a few questions about God and his prophets. Can God change its mind? If it can, how would we know? There seems to be such a huge time span between prophets in biblical history, If I am not mistaken the last one was around the 1830's. With such a gap between the inspired word of God, how would we know if God has changed its mind about the choices to get a tattoo, get a divorce, have a homosexual relationship or anything else that is believed to be forbidden in the Bible?

Ushta Turk

According to Zarathushtra, the Creator does not send us a list of do's and don'ts, Rather he gives us the standard for goodness and and tells us that if we harmonize our life choices to it we will be come like the Creator. To harmonize ourselves to Goodness he gives us principles to live by using our wills, minds, consciences, all the tools the Creator has given.:bow:

There is no mistery to be reveaked:tsk: but a Message to be discovered , the Message of the Creator.:dan:

Zarathushtra discovered it we all can www.zoroastrian.org; www.zoroastrianism.cc:woohoo:

Ushta Te
Ashai

Reactions: Ori

jonny

JesusIsGod said:
Sorry turk179..... Let me rephrase what I have said. God is perfect. There is no need for a perfect God to change His mind. If a person would say that God is changing His mind then I feel that person is trying to manipulate the Word of God to their personal liking. To be more direct.... No it is not possible for God to change His mind; for God is perfect, there would be no need to change. For what purpose is there to change something that is perfect?

So you are saying that we will not know any new revelations by God until Jesus comes back and tells us there is something new? Why do we have to wait so long for something new?
What revelation are you seeking that has not been already revealed to us? The purpose of Jesus Christ returning is not to reveal anything new, but to rapture His church before tribulation.
Do you think that Abraham was manipulating God when God changed his mind about him killing Isaac? It seems to me from this story that God gives us commandments sometimes to teach us obedience and gospel principles and change them later on.

bunny1ohio

dawny0826 said:
I wouldn't consider the prophet credible at all if he or she was preaching biblical inconsistencies.

And when I doubt anything that is religious/spiritual in nature...I take it to Christ in prayer. I pray for spiritual confirmation.

*raises hand* ummmm.... the bible itself is inconsistent.... eye for an eye life for a life.... thou shalt not kill.... etc etc... I'm sure you know the examples... so why could it not change after over 2000 years when it changed in a matter of a few hundred years in some cases? :areyoucra

Would you disregard their message simply because it varies from what you believe? :ignore: What happens if you're wrong?

JesusIsGod

Karl R
God can change his/her mind.
Read Gen.18:16-33
In this passage Abraham barters with God over the fate of Sodom and Gommorah and god relents to Abraham's point-of-view

Based on this passage, it appears god can be flexible. Our prayers to God can change his/her mind.

God "barters" with Abraham for Abraham's sake, for Abraham to understand God's righteous judgement on Sodom. It is not that God was relenting to Abraham, God was simply proving a point to Abraham that there was not even ten righteous in Sodom. God already knew the condition of Sodom, it was Abraham who did not. Ultimately God did not change His mind to destroy Sodom. He only "bartered" with Abraham to open Abraham's eyes to the condition and wickedness of Sodom.

JesusIsGod

jonnyDo you think Abraham was manipulating God when God changed His mind about killing Isaac? It seems to me from this story that God gives us commandments sometimes to teach us obedience and gospel principles and change them later on.

God did not change His mind, God was simply testing Abraham's faith. For if you read from the beginning of the chapter we read...Gen. 22:1 1)And it came to pass after these things that God did tempt Abraham,, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am.

What principles were changed?

Super Universe

Defender of God
I do not believe that God has ever changed His mind. He is above these petty human faults and does not waver this way or that.

When you compare the Old Testament with the New Testament there certainly seems to be an evolution. I think the Old Testament was intended to be more direct in warning.

Don't parents sometimes exaggerate warnings to their children so they will listen, "Hannibal is at the gates!"

The Old Testament is thousands of years older than the New so it has been rewritten many many times. Ancient priests needed an income so they wrote in that God desires a ransom. The priests needed food so they wrote in that God desired blood sacrifice "the best of your flock!"

Also I believe that God has revealed His teachings to many different people of the world, not just the Jew's, Muslim's, and Mormon's.