• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions about Ahimsa in Hinduism

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
I understand that amhisa is a concept of non-violence, literally translated from Sanskrit as "do no harm". This concept applies to both animals and people, and the opposite is himsa, or harm (therefore violence). I have a few questions about the concept and I would like Hindus to answer but Buddhists and Jains are welcome to respond.

- Is ahimsa advice to happiness/enlightenment/goodness, or a scared way of life for you?

- Is an accident that causes injury considered himsa? If it is how can it be reversed or forgiven?

- I have read that in most Indian traditional systems, any war that is likely to happen should only happen as a last resort. When is it right to abandon ahimsa in any context but this?

- If you are a Hindu that eat meat (even seafood), why is extracting the meat from the animal not considered himsa? If it is still considered himsa, why is it okay to eat meat? (if you are vegetarian or vegan you can skip this question.)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Answers will vary. Hinduism is vast. Rather than trying to answer from the general Hindu viewpoint, I'll just give you my personal answers from my particular school.

1) It's advice.
2) It's a regrettable exception.
3) The aforementioned regrettable exception, or to protect human life, like a snake attack, or using antibiotics.
4) n/a to me

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
1. Advice though I can see why it would be a sacred way of life. Alas, I lack the discipline.
2. I don't think accidents really count. They're more of a neutral occurance. They happen, fact of life. So we move on.
3. Dharma. Duty is to be followed above all else. See Krishna's discussion with Arjun (The Gita.)
4. Again fact of life. Something must "die" in order to feed ourselves, whether that is animal or even vegetable. Think of it like the circle of life. If an animal dies, it is disrespectful to let it rot and go to waste. Though the process of killing something should always be humane as possible.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I understand that amhisa is a concept of non-violence, literally translated from Sanskrit as "do no harm". This concept applies to both animals and people, and the opposite is himsa, or harm (therefore violence). I have a few questions about the concept and I would like Hindus to answer but Buddhists and Jains are welcome to respond.

- Is ahimsa advice to happiness/enlightenment/goodness, or a scared way of life for you?

- Is an accident that causes injury considered himsa? If it is how can it be reversed or forgiven?

- I have read that in most Indian traditional systems, any war that is likely to happen should only happen as a last resort. When is it right to abandon ahimsa in any context but this?

- If you are a Hindu that eat meat (even seafood), why is extracting the meat from the animal not considered himsa? If it is still considered himsa, why is it okay to eat meat? (if you are vegetarian or vegan you can skip this question.)
1) It's advice.
2) It's himsa but unless one were willfully neglectful, no blame attaches if one looks after the victim to the best of one's ability.
3) Self defence. Defending other people from imminent violence if no other alternative remains.
4)Its himsa and I am in the process of giving up meat. Chicken eggs no longer have embryos on them, so I am eating more eggs. :p

Satyamavejayanti

"SabahTheLoner,"

Namaste,

I will give my personal perspective on these, as others have done.

It is Advise on how to achieve the highest mode of happiness by practicing Ahimsa which is "Good", because all life is sacred, Ahimsa is only ever achievable by actual actions (Karma) and is not just a philosophical position.

I think Himsa is willful actions that cause harm to other living beings, Karma is what balances out an act which is Himsa by the Phall (fruit) of that Karma. Natural disasters are Hinsa but in this context it would just mean that e.g: the earthquake caused "Harm". but there is no moral obligation or moral or ethical justification on the factors which caused the natural disaster, Nature has no moral obligation towards Humans, but Humans have a moral and ethical obligation to Nature.

Apart from war, the other situations would be if one has to save a life or in a situation where causing minimum harm will result in stopping maximum harm being caused, pulling out a rotten tooth is harmful but it is for a greater benefit which will eventually be Ahimsa.

it is still considered Hinsa, and it is not considered "OK", to cause Himsa just for the gratification of our taste or our KAMA (desire), but in adverse situations where there is no other less harmful option it is not "bad", to eat meat, but this will still create Karma, and we still would have to suffer the consequences of our Karma, as Manu says 'Abstinence brings reward". The idea is that we are able to use our faculty of discrimination and judgement (Viveka) to make a informed decision on these maters.

This is my view.

Dnayavad

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
4. Again fact of life. Something must "die" in order to feed ourselves, whether that is animal or even vegetable. Think of it like the circle of life. If an animal dies, it is disrespectful to let it rot and go to waste. Though the process of killing something should always be humane as possible.

Since you say that, is it possible to consider willfully harming a plant himsa as well?

Also I completely agree that letting corpses completely go to waste is disrespectful. I would at least try to bury the body close to plant life so it will give the plant some nutrients.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Since you say that, is it possible to consider willfully harming a plant himsa as well?

Also I completely agree that letting corpses completely go to waste is disrespectful. I would at least try to bury the body close to plant life so it will give the plant some nutrients.
Possibly. Depends on how you define wilful harm.