• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question on Idun

Tasha Deluney

I would love it if I could change my display name.
I don't see anyone posting here now but it's worth a try if maybe anyone is still paying attention.

I'm trying to find out more on Idun, as well as the portrayal of owls in Norse mythology. The generic thing I'm reading is that Idun is the goddess of spring, youth, immortality, fertility and all that good stuff. Guardian of the apples. You know, what anyone finds if they search their name. However, there's been a couple sites, one just being a forum I believe, where she was describes as "a goddess of protection, guardianship, and watchwomen who's totem animal is a barred owl." At first I was very excited to see this connection between her and barred owls, for reasons I'll not delve into here. And then it occurred to me that 1. she's never depicted as a protector, unless we are to say in the sense that she protects the fruit of youth, and; 2. The barred owl is strictly a north american species.

Does anyone know where one might be finding this information, and if there is any accuracy in this description at all? Does she have a totem animal or any ties to any animals? What other parts do owls play in Norse mythology?

Thanks for your help!
Also here's one questionable site that lists Idun as this.
List of the Gods and Their Spirit Animals

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I don't see anyone posting here now but it's worth a try if maybe anyone is still paying attention.

I'm trying to find out more on Idun, as well as the portrayal of owls in Norse mythology. The generic thing I'm reading is that Idun is the goddess of spring, youth, immortality, fertility and all that good stuff. Guardian of the apples. You know, what anyone finds if they search their name. However, there's been a couple sites, one just being a forum I believe, where she was describes as "a goddess of protection, guardianship, and watchwomen who's totem animal is a barred owl." At first I was very excited to see this connection between her and barred owls, for reasons I'll not delve into here. And then it occurred to me that 1. she's never depicted as a protector, unless we are to say in the sense that she protects the fruit of youth, and; 2. The barred owl is strictly a north american species.

Does anyone know where one might be finding this information, and if there is any accuracy in this description at all? Does she have a totem animal or any ties to any animals? What other parts do owls play in Norse mythology?

Thanks for your help!
Also here's one questionable site that lists Idun as this.
List of the Gods and Their Spirit Animals
I dont know much about horse mytheology Even i live in Norway. But i found this link about Idun. Hope it can help you.
Norse Mythology - Vikings, Nordic Culture, and more. › idun-t...
Idun the Goddess of Youth in Norse Mythology

Tasha Deluney

I dont know much about horse mytheology Even i live in Norway. But i found this link about Idun. Hope it can help you.
Norse Mythology - Vikings, Nordic Culture, and more. › idun-t...
Idun the Goddess of Youth in Norse Mythology

This is one of the sites I have seen, and only consists of that generic info I listed in my original post. It's the whole "protector" and Owl thing I'm a bit confused where it's come from. Thanks for attempting though! I do appreciate it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Thanks for your help!

I tend to think of Vikings a lot whenever I come across Norse mythology. As far as the significance of the owl, I've come across something called the Birds of Omen but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

I did however come across something interesting that addresses Idun specifically. And honestly, it was interesting to read even if you're not privy to Norse folklore and mythology.

Idun - Norse Mythology for Smart People

It was fun doing the research, hope it helps.

Tasha Deluney

I tend to think of Vikings a lot whenever I come across Norse mythology. As far as the significance of the owl, I've come across something called the Birds of Omen but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

I did however come across something interesting that addresses Idun specifically. And honestly, it was interesting to read even if you're not privy to Norse folklore and mythology.

Idun - Norse Mythology for Smart People

It was fun doing the research, hope it helps.

Another page I have read. It is really fun reading about. I've always felt drawn to both Celtic and Norse culture in some way but never did much research into it for some reason. I'm in the process of getting diagnosed with DID, and one of my parts goes by the name of Idun. I can't really visit the inner world at all, and the glimpses I get of her are hazy, but she very much has a "shieldmaiden" feel about her. One of the few glimpses I got of her I saw her with a pet bird of some sort, large and dark. I thought maybe an owl but then brushed it off as me just imposing what I thought would be "cool" on the idea. Then when I read Idun was associated with a barred owl, it felt validating as it wasn't information I knew before seeing that image of her. A bit disappointing upon researching further. Would have been cool to have a Norse Goddess living in my head :tearsofjoy:

Thanks for doing some research for me!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Another page I have read. It is really fun reading about. I've always felt drawn to both Celtic and Norse culture in some way but never did much research into it for some reason. I'm in the process of getting diagnosed with DID, and one of my parts goes by the name of Idun. I can't really visit the inner world at all, and the glimpses I get of her are hazy, but she very much has a "shieldmaiden" feel about her. One of the few glimpses I got of her I saw her with a pet bird of some sort, large and dark. I thought maybe an owl but then brushed it off as me just imposing what I thought would be "cool" on the idea. Then when I read Idun was associated with a barred owl, it felt validating as it wasn't information I knew before seeing that image of her. A bit disappointing upon researching further. Would have been cool to have a Norse Goddess living in my head :tearsofjoy:

Thanks for doing some research for me!
I think part of your difficulty lays in the fact that she's not very well known. While there's a lack of archaeological writings about her, or whatnot, one thing can be certain. You could very well consider info on her as rare gem!

I figure there's got to be a historical society somewhere that focuses on North mythology, maybe you'll find something with a group or organization like that.

Best of luck.

Tasha Deluney

I think part of your difficulty lays in the fact that she's not very well known. While there's a lack of archaeological writings about her, or whatnot, one thing can be certain. You could very well consider info on her as rare gem!

I figure there's got to be a historical society somewhere that focuses on North mythology, maybe you'll find something with a group or organization like that.

Best of luck.

Thanks!