• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question on audio formats and bitrates

UnTheist

What methods are there that could be used to prove an audio file is actually the type of
format/bitrate that it is advertised?

I need the answer very soon x_X

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
What methods are there that could be used to prove an audio file is actually the type of
format/bitrate that it is advertised?

I need the answer very soon x_X
Without downloading (meaning having the file on the computer you are actually using) I do not know that you can.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Without downloading (meaning having the file on the computer you are actually using) I do not know that you can.
Correct. As far as I am aware one would have to physically download the file in order to ascertain precisely ......... wait a sec.........

You can tell by the size of the file itself, however, you need to know the time/length in min. sec. in order to be sure. If the file is roughly 10 minutes in duration, the following chart should be reliable unless they are using some funky proprietary encoding... and I have had a few of those.

BIt Rate ---- File size

320 bps ----- 23,600,000 (23.6 MB)
256 bps ----- 19,000,000 (19 MB)
192 bps ----- 14,250,000 (14.25 MB)
128 bps ----- 9,375,000 (9.4 MB)

All files sizes are approximate!
hope this helps

Last edited:

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Correct. As far as I am aware one would have to physically download the file in order to ascertain precisely ......... wait a sec......... you can tell by the size of the file itself, however, you need to know the time/length in min. sec. in order to be sure. You can use this chart:
If the file is roughly 10 minutes in duration the following chart should be reliable unless they are using some funky proprietary encoding... I have had a few of those.

BIt Rate ---- File size

320 bps ----- 23,600,000 (23.6 MB)
256 bps ----- 19,000,000 (19 MB)
192 bps ----- 14,250,000 (14.25 MB)
128 bps ----- 9,375,000 (9.4 MB)

All files sizes are approximate!
hope this helps
Is this table for all formats or just MP3's?
Is there a way to determine the format?

PS
I am making the assumption that by "format" we are talking about the file type I.E. WMA, Mp3, OGG, WAV, etc.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
You could open the direct link of the mp3. It will start playing in mediaplayer. but I am not sure if it will stream or download. In the mediaplayer you can see all it's properties by rightclicking the playing file..

But I am actually not quite sure what you are trying to do..